Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Reliable setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
3DSAVAGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable setup?

Hey guys, I'm on my 3rd re entry into the hobby and I want to get a good 3d setup that is actually reliable. I have had extremely bad luck in the past and I am looking for a fresh start from scratch. So wat is a good rx, ESC, motor, prop, etc for a reliable 3D setup. I want to get a no maintenance, reliable computer radio as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Reliable setup?

Hi 3D - Can you give us an idea of what kinds of failures you have had? ESC? Motor? Motor bearings? Receiver losing contact?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
3DSAVAGE

Mainly fried ESC's motors, and some radio lockout. I use high quality gear and i oversize my ESC's on every setup.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM
jooNorway

ORIGINAL: 3DSAVAGE

Mainly fried ESC's motors, and some radio lockout. I use high quality gear and i oversize my ESC's on every setup.

Electrifly isn`t exactly "high end" gadgets, rather on the cheap side IMHO...
Which Wattmeter do you use to ensure your setups are properly matched? I have never blown any ESC`s during 5-6 years of electric flying, and I fly a lot of electric planes.
Why they break? Usually overload, and sometimes using totally wrong PWM settings.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
3DSAVAGE

well then wat is a good, reliable setup for a 3d'r?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the following brands with a lot of success:

ESC - Turnigy, DualSky, TMM, Hobby Wing
Motor - Hyperion, Plettenberg, AXI, DualSky (4260 and smaller, they work great, for me best value for money as I have pushed some really hard till they failed and it was well punished)
Prop - APC and XOAR, I prefer XOAR props

My experience with Turnigy motor was not good, but many say the newer batch of motors are good, you can read the reviews on Hobby City.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 PM
jooNorway

A reliable setup... Let us know which plane you would like to fly. It is always easier to point out some products when we know which size you want to fly. There are more choices for smaller planes, when it comes to the bigger birds the choices are fewer.

I agree with TiANci, won`t bother wasting time installing any motors from HobbyCity. They all seems to fail, either at once or after some few flights.

Products from HobbyCity which really are worth the money are their Turnigy ESC`s. I am pretty demanding when it comes to gadgets, but I have Turnigy ESCs in some of my planes. And I am pleased! Since you have had problems blowing your ESCs buy bigger than you think is necessary. Else I prefer Jeti ESCs, especially their Spin serie is super nice.

Motors; I prefer gadgets on the expensive side... Actro is one of my favourites, and they are superb. But my guess is you will never purchase any Actroes Cheaper motors like Plettenberg, and propably Hacker are very reliable I guess. And they are among those with good efficiency. I have not had any of them, but won`t hesitate to buy if I have a project which calls for any of them. (Maybe I have a Hacker in one of my motorgliders...? I think so, just had forgot because it wa sput together some years ago [X(] )
When it comes to the cheaper end I also recommend AXI, like TiANci do. I have a lot of them, and they have never failed for me. I know people like Hyperion motors and ESCs. I have not had more than 4-5 Hyperions, and one motor and one ESC have failed... maybe I did abuse them?

Propellers; APC-E are safe choices. I have not tried XOAR yet, but all my friends who have them are all pleased! Guess I have to listen and try them as soon as possible Else I use Engel and Majzlic carbon propellers for the bigger setups.

Radio: Spektrum DX7 seems to be a good choice. (I have one for my small electric models, and it works OK)

Give a hint of which size of plane you would like to fly, and you could get more ideas/suggestions.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 PM
3DSAVAGE

Well I'm mainly looking for a setup for a 36" span 3D plane. I might be getting into indoor 3D though since it's really windy here in Florida...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joo you are bad! Actros!!! YUMMEE!!!!! I love to own Plettenbergs but only have one, so so so smooth, beats the AXI and Hackers etc. Try the XOAR, you will love it. Much better than APC, I have not bothered to use APC now since I tried them.

3D ... you want a motor that can turn an 11x5.5, a 200W-250W motor perhaps with a 25A ESC. What plane it is to be exact ...
Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 PM
3DSAVAGE

I was thinking about getting one of those airfoilz planes. The edge 540 one seemed like a good hardcore 3D plane. I also was looking at flat foamies, but I can't find any that look durable enough to withstand very high G manuevers like blenders and walls(which is what finally killed my flatana). I might scratch build another flat foamie and just get better electronics. I don't know...