Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Small 3d Capable plane for a 120 four stroke

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Small 3d Capable plane for a 120 four stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
cmmicroheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small 3d Capable plane for a 120 four stroke

Like the title says im looking for a smaller 3d airplane to fit a ys 120 in to. Any ideas are helpful. Thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Small 3d Capable plane for a 120 four stroke

one of those Mojo 60 size profile

fused plane that size you could try the aeroworks edge ...
Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

That would be ideal for the H9 Funtana, bunch of profiles out there, if you are into that.
Not sure if the Fliton Extra 120 is still around
3DHS, Extreme flight and Aeroworks, Pilot RC etc. may have something suitable. or just the regular off shore stuff..
Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 PM
cmmicroheli

Has anyone stuffed a 120 into the aeroworks edge? Seems like alot of engine for that plane.
ORIGINAL: zacharyR

one of those Mojo 60 size profile

fused plane that size you could try the aeroworks edge ...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
nitro wing

whats the weight of the YS compared to a OS 91-2 stroke or saito/OS 91 4 strokes? I thinks its just a bit more and physical size may not be too much more.

biggest issue is likely engine mount to prop washer length to fit cowling.

I am sure that motor would fit the funtana without mods, and the funtana can be a superb plane, despite some mixed reviews,
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
cmmicroheli

Ithink the funtana is out of the question. The fuse is to long for my car. Needs to be somewhere around the 50 inch size. This wasent a problem till now, a carseat takes up alot of room ya know. I have a 60" weeks solution Ive been flying but can no longer transport it to the field and figured Id shove the motor into something little.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
zacharyR

DO NOT BY H9 FUNTANA !!

also ohio models makes great airframe's but they are mostly none fused airplanes in that size

3dhs and EF do not make NITRO MODELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just FYI

and most of the pepole that fly those name brand's already have turned away from Nitro... [:-]

Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
zacharyR

yes pepole fly the aeroworks EDGE wth 120's

it's not a small Edge you see there combo all the time it's that airframe and DLE20 ..

DLE20 is more power then your 120 and swinging a much larger prop , it's probly slightly heavyer also if you include a ing Batt
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM
nitro wing

DO NOT BY H9 FUNTANA !!

also ohio models makes great airframe's but they are mostly none fused airplanes in that size

3dhs and EF do not make NITRO MODELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just FYI

and most of the pepole that fly those name brand's already have turned away from Nitro... [:-]

Dude ya gotta chill out a bit
The funtana was one of the biggest sucess planes out there, 98% have had good experinces with them...

EF makes plenty of planes that can fly on nitro motors, just because its say suitable for a small gasser, does not make it not ideal for nitro. A YS 120-140 would fly it very well or an OS 160 would rip in that thing.
Also the DLE 20 is not more power and does not swing a much larger prop.

Maybe read the descriptions?
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/68-VeloxYellow_p_15302.html
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2600
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Local club member here bought a Funtana 125 from his son, who had a YS1.10 in it. Flew great on that, according to him. He tried a CRRC26; crappy performance. Switched to a DLE30 and loves it.

This is a good possibility for ya: [link=http://www.valuehobby.com/product_details.php?category_id=50&item_id=76]Sabre 56[/link]. Many fly it on a Saito 1.00 to 1.25; your YS would make it ballistic! Saw it on 6S electric this past weekend, and it was awesome on that too.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
zacharyR

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

DO NOT BY H9 FUNTANA !!

Dude ya gotta chill out a bit
The funtana was one of the biggest sucess planes out there, 98% have had good experinces with them...

EF makes plenty of planes that can fly on nitro motors, just because its say suitable for a small gasser, does not make it not ideal for nitro. A YS 120-140 would fly it very well or an OS 160 would rip in that thing.
Also the DLE 20 is not more power and does not swing a much larger prop.

Maybe read the descriptions?
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/68-VeloxYellow_p_15302.html
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2600
nope

here's the deal I take it you get your infomation from the Web and whatever is a Fad......

anyone who has been flying for a great deal of time will tell you there is much better chocies now a days then a hanger 9 funta for 3D fused airframe.... Also DLE20 does' make more power and does swing a bigger prob .then most 120 four cycle's on the market.....

and one other question for anyone out there .how many huckfest or events have you ever seen a (NITRO powerd ) 3DHS or EF plane ????????????????????????????? for me NEVER yes you techincaly could put a OS 160 on a Volex or any motor on any airfame... but your not going to get the 3D mid range out of that motor .. IE that's why no one does it or vary few do it ..

basickly you can do whatever you want but that doesn't mean you can give pepole bad advice like you have been...

"The funtana was one of the biggest sucess planes out there, 98% have had good experinces with them..." srsly ? I don't see how ?

the Chinn yak would be the only accpetion and as you can see I'v owned one and wouldn't recommand them to anyone becoause they are a Sub par

Profile's the guy would be much better with Ohio models or Mojo's ext ext... Fused plane's not to many choices but AW EDGE 540 >>>>>>>>> FUNTNA that's a easy choice at least the Edge has like zero coupling and isn't overweight

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11829.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1672993  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
nitro wing

Its OK dude you are right, I take it all back
Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
zacharyR

well Link me a picture of your 3DHS NITRO model then ?

Specifications:
Stock Number: DLEG0020
Displacement: 20 cc (1.22 cu in)
Bore: 1.3 in (32 mm)
Stroke: 1.0 in (25 mm)
Weight: 28.9 oz (820 g)
RPM Range: 1,750-9,000
Output: 2.5 hp @ 9,000 rpm
Requires: unleaded gasoline, 2-cycle oil, ignition battery & propeller
Includes: electronic ignition, muffler, spark plug, gasket, bolts, throttle arm extension & manual
Suggested Propellers: 14x10, 15x8, 16x6, 16x8, 17x6
Suggested Break-in Prop: n/a

YS qoute from the net...
" you should be able to run a APC 16x6 prop and get around 9000 rpm's...give or take a little "
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
nitro wing

I am guessing you are newer to this hobby? The YS 120 will swing any of the props listed under the DLE 20, and likely with a bit more authority
Claiming that the 20 has more power and will swing a much larger prop is complete non sense. Honestly its not even worth debating. Please dont throw up the HP figures, as they are completely different from engine designs and do not reflect actual prop swinging authority and thrust achieved.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
nitro wing

A nitro YS 140 or a Moki would shred in this plane, claiming no one does this and everybody is gas or electric is hogwash.
I have the 74 inch EF Yak with a pumped OS 160, its insanely ballistic and not hard on fuel, and is super light.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/71-AJ-Sli...e_p_15822.html
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
zacharyR

hey man that's the spec's are on the web I guess they are wrong

Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
zacharyR

how about you link me a picture of your funtana

I'll link my pictures of the above airplane you've linked to argue your point just to prove I'm refering to more then internet review's and what's a Fad .. I'm refering to physcialy flying them ... and leanring things the hard way

( and I'v never seen anyone put nitro motor on that airframe and its a vary hot airframe they don't even have any Red's in-stock .. everyone I've have seen is DLE30 powered or Electric ...technically you can do it but people dont do it
and there is a reason for that isn't there ? or maybe all those people have little experience and don't fly as well as you do with your nitro expertiese in flight performance )

I'm sure that's the difference in us both

your up to speed on fad's and web forum information.... but do you physically fly the things your talking about ??? i dout it or you wouldn't be recommending a Funtana ? ( logically )
now granted yes some people like funtna's and they ( fly alright )but they have some bad habits for example they have roll coupling in KE where in comparison the Aeroworks edge has vary little or none also they are on the heavy side but you can chose and fly whatever you like that's not what i'm arguing against I'm saying don't recommend a plane then when someone counter's your recommendation , if your going to argue your orgainal sujestion at least be FLYING the aircraft or have owned it have some physical experince with it , Don't just sit there reading review's and buying into othere pepole's hype.

and it just happens to be funny that you used a vary popluar airframe that I happen to own and be flying to argue your point .. that just sum's it up doesnt it ? I must be a dumbass for not haveing a Moki on that airframe arnt I ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53423.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1673016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89958.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1673017  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
ameyam

You could try the GP Reactor Bipe

Ameyam
Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
nitro wing

I have had 3 different Funtanas, the last one was the X100 with an OS 120 4 stroke, and it was unlimited. I still miss it, I had it dialed in very well. Pics on my other computer..

Yes 3 years have passed and I have owned, and many other planes have gone thru my hands.
Overall I have built and flown over 90 Aircraft. I have plenty of hands on experience.

At my club, members ask me to fly their planes and suggest improvement. I also instruct. I get to fly nearly everything available on the market today and some special kit builds.

Just recently a new Funtana owner was disapointed in his plane, he gave me the radio and I flew it for 5 minutes.
Then landed it and spend an hour adjusting and fine tuning linkages and the radio. He still smiles and thanks me 2 months later. He loves it now.

Anyway, enough with the Funtana, there a plenty of other choices if looking for high performance stuff, we all know that.

The OP asked for some suggestions, I was not wrong, neither were you, they are suggestions based on our experiences and opinions.

Please consider prop # also.
a 16x6 reving 9000 means very little, the thrust (curve) is what we feel and need.

I have a motor that will spin a recommended 22x8 Zinger well beyond redline and pulls much less thrust than another brand 22x8 at 7000 rpm, well below redline.
Motors, props, airframes, set up... its all very variable when assembling a plane, results will vary wildly.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:22 PM
nitro wing

Thats awesome if you got the 71 Slick on electric.
The whole point was the OP already HAS a motor to use and is looking for options. I have plenty of electric, nitros and gassers, and have always sucessfully picked a suitable airframe for what I had available for a power plant.
Ok tired of typing now, I gotta do some hinging on my 50cc MSX-R
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
cmmicroheli

No more funtana talk please its out of the question.Some of you guys have given me some ideas and Ido like the reactor bipe. The aeroworks edge is an option. Its a shame there is not much out there in this size catagory for 3d airplanes. Ive been at this for 27 years and still love a glow engine so its hard to say gas or electric. I dare to be different then the guys I fly with. Thanks for the ideas keep em coming.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Ameyam
Probably the most accurate reply yet, size wise, would fit the bill, the 120 will definately give spirited performance, enough wings to handle it all.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 PM
nitro wing

This one maybe just small enough for transport?

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=336
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM
cmmicroheli

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

This one maybe just small enough for transport?

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=336
that's perfect.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Uncas

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Ameyam
I agree, I would look hard at the Reactor Bipe. It has huge wing area and should float like a profile. I have never flown it but I like what I see, although it looks a little "different". It is not cheap.

Aeroworks has their smaller Edge, Extra, and Yak. These planes have a little higher wing loading. In the videos they do not seem like real floaty 3D planes but they do look fun, especially the Edge.
And GP has the UCD 60. I had the UCD .46 which flew very light and was a good 3D plane and very fun to fly, similar to a profile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.