Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katana 50

So good to see someone still flying the very nice Katana 50. Bless you for reviving this thread. What engine?
Old 12-26-2017, 10:58 AM
55plymguy

Default Re: katana 50

It actually has an electric setup... An eflight 60 with castle 100 amp speed control. Anybody have a canopy laying around,lol? It's a 1 pc foredeck and canopy unit but I would settle to cut the canopy off the deck and graft a new canopy on.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:39 AM
Ernie Misner

Thank you for the electric info and keep us posted!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:17 AM
55plymguy

Default Arrrgh, horizon hobby wasn't much help...

Suggested contacting chief aircraft and ordering one of their larger plane's canopy's and trimming to fit... They are pretty expensive. This might turn into a big money pit.
So I have the rear damaged portion trimmed away and I could make a plug and use a 2 liter soda bottle to draw over the plug. Kind of a 2 piece canopy...Then I would have to spray interior of soda bottle flat black to somewhat match the original smoke canopy, or....
Use the undamaged canopy frame, adding a former to area at the at the trimmed edge of undamaged section, sheet the missing area in balsa and cover in cub yellow monocote listed as the katanas primary color... Kind of a p-51 fastback look.

Has anyone ever tried the latter on a similiar plane? Pros, cons?
Old 12-31-2017, 05:56 PM
Ernie Misner

I do think the latter would work. You could google that or make a separate post. Happy New Year!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:49 AM
jeff4steel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Days ago I just flew this bird owned by a local friend. His set up is Dualsky 5060 motor and 100A Hobbywing ESC. It's a quite heavy one by today's criteria of 3D planes but all pilots could feel it's so robust that any type of landing wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:39 AM
racer761

Default Rudder Servo placement with Saito 72

Hello, i've started building a Katana 50 which i purchased some years ago.
now i am confused where to place the rudder servo, the manual isn't clear on that.

the motor is a Saito 72, so much heavier than a electric motor, i'm guessing i should put the rudder servo in the tail???
Old 11-26-2022, 05:48 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check Page 19 of the manual. The rudder is controlled by a pull-pull setup.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 11-26-2022, 07:51 AM
racer761

Originally Posted by N1EDM
Check Page 19 of the manual. The rudder is controlled by a pull-pull setup.

Just my $.02

Bob
i got that, but the question is.... where to put the servo regarding the center of gravity ;-)
Old 11-26-2022, 08:10 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't recall having an issue with my Katana, though admittedly it was e-powered. I've since lost it (dumb thumbs). Power was a Axi 4120/14, 4S4000 LiPo and 80A ESC.

I have also owned a Saito 72, for the record, and don't think that there will be a great weight difference.

If it were me, I don't think that I would change out the pull-pull on the rudder - that rudder is a lot of wind-catcher to be sticking out in the breeze and, IMHO, the pull-pull would be more effective than a single pushrod and servo placed back aft.

I think that cutting the structure and putting a rudder servo back aft might be overkill just to save putting on a few stick-on weights. I wish I had my Katana back. It was one of my Top-10 Favorite planes of all time.

It seems to me that you could mock the system up easily and see how the balance goes between a glow-system and an e-system. The pull-pull-wires and extra rudder control horn would be negligible and could probably be left out of the equation while you check this out. It might be an interesting exercise that would only take about 1-2 hours to check out on a rainy afternoon (and there are no football games to watch :-) )

Just my opinion...

Bob