Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What is a Good Nighttime LED 3D flyer - Foamy or Balsa Extra 300 3D ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What is a Good Nighttime LED 3D flyer - Foamy or Balsa Extra 300 3D ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM
GizmoMadMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a Good Nighttime LED 3D flyer - Foamy or Balsa Extra 300 3D ?

I posted in the ARF forum what Extra 300 3D balsa frame is good and parts after the sale for night time mishaps, but let me ask here, is my drive for an Extra 300 3D balsa electric plane the best choice for a night time LED flying that will have added weight with fully outlined SMD LED strips?

Sure it will be heavier, but for winter months, a night time flyer is a must, so i have to bear with the weight as i have had with my past and current foamy LED night flyers...

So the scenario is a must of fully outlined 3D electric flyer...., so, now is the Extra 300 3D frame my best choice???
or is a Yak 54 a better choice ???

I want the longer 3D fuse and NOT the shorter fuse of say an Extra 540.

Thanks again in advance!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: What is a Good Nighttime LED 3D flyer - Foamy or Balsa Extra 300 3D ?

Gizmo, you should look at the newer light kits. DWFoamies has some that go on the wing tips and shine toward the plane. Outlining the plane is not the best way to do it IMHO. I have his Juka with the SFG light kits. I have flown 2 Jukas but have not tried the lights as of yet. If you decide to go foam, he does make an Extra 300 and a Yak in several sizes. The LEDs I am talking about are light weight, use the same battery as the ESC, have two brightness settings, and are a snap to install. Might be worth a look for you.
Are you wanting to night fly indoors or out?

David
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 PM
adamle

Default RE: What is a Good Nighttime LED 3D flyer - Foamy or Balsa Extra 300 3D ?

Twistedhobbys.com has some very fun foamies with an optional light kit. I don't have a light kit but I do have a crack Pitts and it is a blast.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
GizmoMadMax

ORIGINAL: adamle

Twistedhobbys.com has some very fun foamies with an optional light kit. I don't have a light kit but I do have a crack Pitts and it is a blast.
They don't list an airfoil, but it looks like it on their web site?
Do they have 44" airfoiled wing foamies?

Also, i have tried the light sticks, i have the Aurora Genesis kit(and another night flyer has both also), but out of my 5 night foamies the past years, the colored LEDs are my hands down favorite!!
I can ring out the foamy with proper color scheme and not miss a beat, but with light sticks, man, when you are further out, heck, you have to be flawless to keep track, much harder to see and track with white light sticks, so they are ok and quick for sure, but man i love the colors, just my personal preference, but again, i have and fly both!!
hands down, the night sticks are super fast to mount and go fly, the LED strips take many many nights and hours to get that all lined up and soldered and harnessed, wow... but it is worth it...
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

http://www.dwfoamies.com/index.php/e...s/flite-lights
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

can't speak for Dave

but i would chose EPP foam if i had a choice ... personally I have the twisted hobby's slick with there LED kit and it works great it's two Leds on the SFG's one blue one white

EPP foam is a lot more forgiving

I would say 48" EPP extra with Aura light kit for outdoor night flying.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM
GizmoMadMax

Thanks Zach!
I will check it out

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

can't speak for Dave

but i would chose EPP foam if i had a choice ... personally I have the twisted hobby's slick with there LED kit and it works great it's two Leds on the SFG's one blue one white

EPP foam is a lot more forgiving

I would say 48'' EPP extra with Aura light kit for outdoor night flying.