Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Snap rolls with gyros?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Snap rolls with gyros?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Snap rolls with gyros?

Ok, so I guess I'll take one I have on a shelf, put it in my 50cc Ultimate, and go refresh my memory as to the actual characteristics.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of rubbish posted here, comments on cars having abs and traction control etc, most serious drivers prefer them off and is completey non applicabe to rc flying. Use what you want, lots of gadgets available, still its a fact that aquiring true skills is learnt by training without complex aids. Modern sport aircaft do not need gyros at all.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree the use for a more experienced flier, dealing with a difficult behavior found in some airplanes, but dont agree with a fresher pilot using them to take shortcuts to look better and think he is advancing into being a pro, you will just have to re learn the basics later and retard your learning curve alot.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

...true skills is learnt...
We ain't need no gyros!

Kurt
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
acerc

Ok took the Ultimate out today with the Gyro on the rudder. With the gyro on heading hold off, the plane tracked normal through the turns. No added rudder control required, the tail followed the nose like noemal. Then set heading hold on, whoaaa nelly, a whole different ballgame. Giong into a left bank the plane did not want to pitch as normal. Definately had to be on the rudder control to make the turn. Went back to heading hold off and it was quite enjoyable. Other than strait runs and rolls there was not much difference in the attitude of flight, the tail followed the nose. Then came the landing, from left to right with a 15-20mph cross wind, it tracked dead strait down the runway with very little input from me.And once the wheeels touched down continued to track strait without any input. All in all the gyro did lend a hand in the  smoothness during straight runs, long and short rolls, and thru the loops. I think I'll leave it in for a bit. Those were some of my best rolls, loops, and landings in a strong crosswind. Even if I was assisted with it.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 AM
kunte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your innocent attempt to justify the use of a gyro has backfired big style, and proved the 'real' flyers comments here are correct. As you said, quote:-

''Then came the landing, from left to right with a 15-20 mph cross wind, it tracked dead strait down the runway with very little input from me''.

Do you see? You YOU are not inputting, so YOU are not flying, YOU are not learning, YOU are cheating.

I would bet my life, if you practiced that model to death, You would do the same job, YOU, You would do the necessary inputs, YOU would do the necessary counter inputs (usually, if not always, every input needs a counter balancing input. I.E. You put left aileron, you need right rudder, you throttle up, you need a little rudder or elevator etc, etc).

All these inputs are the game of rc flight, the art, the skill, the satisfaction, the difficulty, the love, sport, fun, CORE of flying, stop all the bull****s with the need for gyros, this is a 3D thread, gyros are only justified in the jet and oddment aircraft categories.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 AM
acerc

What an arrogant, self righteous, pompus, conceded post. I myself was not proposing for or against GYROS, but rather looking for a certain perspective. I fly 3D, I fly 3D without GYROS, I do not use GYROS other than in Helis. Just simply an observation as to why or if they could be of benefit to certain individuals. And to clarify to your statement I was not flying, well, bite one. That is just a stupid thing to say. And the term cheating, is just as moronic.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: acerc

Ok took the Ultimate out today with the Gyro on the rudder. With the gyro on heading hold off, the plane tracked normal through the turns. No added rudder control required, the tail followed the nose like noemal. Then set heading hold on, whoaaa nelly, a whole different ballgame. Giong into a left bank the plane did not want to pitch as normal. Definately had to be on the rudder control to make the turn. Went back to heading hold off and it was quite enjoyable. Other than strait runs and rolls there was not much difference in the attitude of flight, the tail followed the nose. Then came the landing, from left to right with a 15-20mph cross wind, it tracked dead strait down the runway with very little input from me.And once the wheeels touched down continued to track strait without any input. All in all the gyro did lend a hand in the smoothness during straight runs, long and short rolls, and thru the loops. I think I'll leave it in for a bit. Those were some of my best rolls, loops, and landings in a strong crosswind. Even if I was assisted with it.

Acerc,

Outstanding post! Finally someone who reported his findings rather than bloviating. Wish we had more of this.

Kurt
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM
acerc

Thank's Kurt and you are welcome. I would add to the previous finding's that if one was just starting out with an instructor a heading hold gyro could be beneficial. With the heading hold active one has no choice but to use rudder authority. Therefore it could be a good training tool if used under suppervision. The reason I say with supervision is that the plane has to be (absolutely) flown, under control, the tail will not follow. But in my opinion it is not needed, is not worth the added aggrevation, but it also would not build false abilities but only improve them when removed after use.