Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldwing 60" sbach help

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldwing 60" sbach help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put together a Skyline Sbach ( same ) using 5475 servos and a saito 91 up front. My battery is all the way forward (on the motor box) with no additional weight.

Move electronics / servo locations forward before hacking away. Plane is built pretty light as it is.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 AM
107ch
My Feedback: (5)

After flying mine a few times, I moved the battery to the back of the cockpit area. That put the cg more in line with the wing tube. The spar was a bit forward, but I would rather get a first flight with the cg a little too forward rather than too much aft.

Dennis
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM
imblaze88

Well I finally got the sbach going, after cutting it apart and rebuilding basically the whole thing from the canopy back, I put the mini servos on elevator and balanced it down the center of the wing tube.

I still used 7 oz of lead in the motor box and a 3000mah battery I'm only getting 5 min out of. Probably should go with the 5000 would balance just right.

I guess I'm happy with it, just trying to practice up before I get out the 30cc mx2. Hopefully you guys have had better luck with this plane than I have, I definitely wouldn't recommend it
Old 11-13-2015, 05:56 AM
107ch
My Feedback: (5)

I have several more flights on mine. With the 91 four stroke it is a rocket. It will easily hover, and on high rates the roll rate is amazing. I think it is a good value for the money, it ended up at about 200.00 shipped. The wings come off and its easily transportable. If...or should I say when , I crash it into dust...I will get another. I think it would still fly well with a 70 four stroke, maybe not 3D , but IMAC style. I have no electric planes so I can't comment about that.
Dennis
Old 11-13-2015, 07:18 AM
imblaze88

I forgot to mention I forgot to plug in ailerons one time and took off. Smacked the ground pretty hard luckily on its belly and only tore out the gear and stringers across the belly which was an easy fix, I first had glow on it then gas now electric which is my first decent size e plane besides the small stuff.

Its weak and overweight won't hover or anything 3d, wish I went with the bigger 11oz motor and a 6s probably would've balanced. Or a heavier glow than the 46 I had on, but defiantly not gas. Like I said I'm just trying to get used to landing at the speed of sound before I move on to the bigger planes. I've been flying the profile 3D planes which rock but landing is a breeze compared to these guys

Last edited by imblaze88; 11-13-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM
kerwin50

If that is a gw or slyline mx then id go ahead and fly it.
My goldwing mx 30cc ..mx is my go to plane. Its a very easy and very forgiving pla e
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Bcolici

+1.
The bigger planes ground handle and fly soo much better.
I have a 20cc SBach and flies very nice,landing is a breeze. For a 10 lb plane it just floats right in.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM
imblaze88

Yes after flying the 30cc mx2 I've pretty much thrown away all my other planes and only fly it now. The 70e is crap I only used it because I was afraid of the 30cc but it flys and lands like a breeze. Now I want a 50cc, then a 100, and so on
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

57" MX2 here. Powered by a baby gas 10cc Evo. Weight = 5lb 3oz. w/1100mahLife, park size MG servos.

Awesome flyer with no KE coupling and unlimited vertical. Slows down nicely now, but moving toward more 3D capability, still playing with CG (working my way back). Don't have a lot of stick time on it yet.

Started out working my way bigger, but it's not like the bigger planes are without a down side. Expense is obvious, increased difficulty in handling, storage and transport maybe not so obvious - not at first anyway.

For me, the 20 and 30cc planes are a great compromise with everything considered.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 PM
imblaze88

I'm still getting the cg just right, it wants to pull in a knife edge. I know with the profiles they claim it's a balance problem they balance 3 ways. The way I understood it is if it was nose heavy and you compensate with opposite trim, that trim would make it pull in a Ke. Is this true? What do you guys do? I tried using Mixes but that just seems to cause more problems

Last edited by imblaze88; 12-21-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mixes never a good plan IMHO.

I try to start by trimming CG to get a flat elevator. Elevator is your rudder when flying on KE, so it's not hard to see that if it is trimmed up or down to get level flight, you'll need to correct for that when you pull it over on it's side.

For instance, if your elevator is trimmed up slightly, it's likely counteracting a nose heavy condition, and will make the plane pull towards the canopy on KE. If elevator is trimmed down from flat, it's likely counteracting for a tail heavy condition, and will force the plane to track toward the landing gear on KE.

That will get you pretty close. Note that this process may leave you a little more tail heavy than other plans, like the 45 degree inverted climb out plan. Nothing terrible, but the plane will have completely lost it's ability to build speed on it's own when you let go of the sticks (nose heavy). You'll need to pay attention to the planes airspeed, and drop the nose or increase the power when you see it getting to slow - on final for instance. The upside is that the plane's stall speed will be considerably decreased, and the plane will be very controllable at lower air speeds - as in high alpha.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 AM
imblaze88

Thanx for the heads up I will try that, I think most of my planes pull toward the gear, even one pulls toward gear in a right Ke and toward the canopy in a left, the mx2 is all screwed up it pulls toward the gear and also wants to roll, Ke is nearly impossible. But it's still nose heavy. Do you guy guys balance them laterally and vertically? I will start by moving cg for level flight without trim
Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Bcolici

Cg and lateral balance is what i do.