Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

what is 3d flying?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

what is 3d flying?

Old 04-08-2020, 02:14 PM
  #1  
ruggsbo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what is 3d flying?

What is 3d flying and what the hell is 4d flying?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:19 AM
  #2  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,774
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

4D is 3D flown in reverse.

Guys flying well enough where they aren't trashing the front of their planes regularly (WAY beyond me!), are using variable pitch props that allow reverse thrust. 3D is nuts, I don't have a word for 4D!

Last edited by ahicks; 04-09-2020 at 04:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
knpjdad (05-11-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:12 AM
  #3  
Edward Simpson
Member
 
Edward Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 45
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

3D flying is a type of flying. In some cases, the air craft doesn't even fly. It will hover by hanging on the prop. In alternative words, There's no air moving over the surfaces making the lift and also the air craft stops flying. Some of the maneuvers in 3D flying are simply not humanly potential fully scale aerobatic planes. The G loads can get terribly high.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:36 AM
  #4  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,407
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

3D "flying" is overpowering an aircraft to the point where it really doesn't even need to fly, i.e. generate lift. Ostensibly this is so one can back a plane down to where it's tail touches the ground and then drive it back up. Based on the answer above 4D is doing the same thing but nose down with a reverse thrust prop until the spinner touches the ground. Sane people would ask "what's the point?" Some people also play Russian roulette - sane people also ask "why?" about that. But then...

Last edited by rgburrill; 06-15-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:15 AM
  #5  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,774
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Unfortunately, some think 3D is limited to hovering a plane, when actually that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's MUCH more to it than the ability to hold a hover.....
Old 06-16-2020, 12:30 AM
  #6  
Joseph Frost
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

As we all know, 3D flying is the skills that takes may years to develop and hated by pilots who simply can't do it!

The lower the more fun!

Last edited by Joseph Frost; 06-16-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:16 AM
  #7  
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,720
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

How is it in this day and age so many r/c pilots are so misguided about what 3D flying is all about, many that comment on the subject matter have never setup an airplane for this style or even tried it for themselves. Now letís throw some XA flying in the mix with 3D flying... Come on folks, open your minds! There is so much more to flying than just going in circles, Iím 64 and still having a blast, if it wasnít for the onset of 3D type flying over 20 years ago, I would have probably quiet flying because I was pretty bored with the same old crap since1963 when I first started building and flying model airplanes. As you can see in my video a couple of months ago there is allot more to it than just hanging in the prop.


Bob

Last edited by sensei; 06-16-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:19 AM
  #8  
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,720
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Unfortunately, some think 3D is limited to hovering a plane, when actually that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's MUCH more to it than the ability to hold a hover.....
+1

Bob
Old 06-16-2020, 09:25 AM
  #9  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,407
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sensei View Post
How is it in this day and age so many r/c pilots are so misguided about what 3D flying is all about, many that comment on the subject matter have never setup an airplane for this style or even tried it for themselves. Now letís throw some XA flying in the mix with 3D flying... Come on folks, open your minds! There is so much more to flying than just going in circles, Iím 64 and still having a blast, if it wasnít for the onset of 3D type flying over 20 years ago, I would have probably quiet flying because I was pretty bored with the same old crap since1963 when I first started building and flying model airplanes. As you can see in my video a couple of months ago there is allot more to it than just hanging in the prop.

https://youtu.be/mdgUL96OtaE

Bob
Certainly not precision aerobatics. More like a Looney Tunes cartoon character having a seizure.

I'd like to see a real airplane survive that kind of maneuvering.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:22 PM
  #10  
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,720
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Certainly not precision aerobatics. More like a Looney Tunes cartoon character having a seizure.

I'd like to see a real airplane survive that kind of maneuvering.
No it certainly is not precision, once again itís a mixture of 3D and XA flying. From your reaction you are probably a circle flyer with most likely limited flying talent. We all have our own part of the hobby and sport we enjoy doing, no need to ridicule things you canít do, understand or disagree with.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 06-17-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:37 PM
  #11  
H5606
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: , MD
Posts: 818
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

I'd like to improve flying skills to feel confident/comfortable in the attitudes encountered during a 3D routine - Rudder input while inverted still confuses me - especially overhead... What are some good 3D training aids/advice? Also, what is XA flying?
Old 06-17-2020, 03:26 PM
  #12  
Joseph Frost
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

There's only one trick in 3D flying, years of practice and experience.
The following users liked this post:
daveopam (08-20-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:34 AM
  #13  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,774
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by H5606 View Post
I'd like to improve flying skills to feel confident/comfortable in the attitudes encountered during a 3D routine - Rudder input while inverted still confuses me - especially overhead... What are some good 3D training aids/advice? Also, what is XA flying?
Sims make me crazy in pretty short order, but I've seen younger guys advance very quickly in 3D that swear by them.

XA is about high energy maneuvers. Often (usually?) pretty violent maneuvers, making you wonder how/why the wings are still on the plane.

I enjoy the low and slow 3D maneuvers. It's easier for this old man to stay up with them. I find Harriers and slow KE flight pretty entertaining for instance. For low speed control practice, make sure you plane will slow right down into a nose high attitude when you back off on the power. Learn to control wing rock with the use of a ton of rudder to pick up that low wing rather than just opposite aileron input. Bring the plane in for a landing and at about 18", accelerate just slightly, and hold it at 18" off the runway the length of the field. When you get that down, do a rudder turn at the end of the runway while holding that 18" and bring it back the other way. Then try a figure 8 out in front of you. It's an easy exercise with the plane low and slow enough where the plane won't be entirely torn up if (when!) you screw up. -Al
Old 06-18-2020, 04:43 AM
  #14  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24,287
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Certainly not precision aerobatics. More like a Looney Tunes cartoon character having a seizure.

I'd like to see a real airplane survive that kind of maneuvering.
Funny you mentioned that, I saw Matt Chapman doing rolling harriers at Sun-N-Fun
Old 06-18-2020, 05:17 AM
  #15  
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,720
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

The simulator helps your motor skills a great deal. I donít pick it up as much as I should anymore, but there was a three year period I spent at least two hours a day, every day on it with the first addiction of Real Flight around 20 years ago now. Here is an old video of what I consider some low and slow old school 3D and a mix of precision flying my 40% Carden 260 back in 2008.2008 J.H. Rice Memorial

Bob
Old 06-19-2020, 12:20 PM
  #16  
H5606
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: , MD
Posts: 818
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

I don't fly enough (used to fly at least once a week and don't even do that now) and have a simulator that gets little use so these are areas to work on -

Some of the most impressive flying skills I've seen were in videos of competitions taking place indoors where pilots appear to be flying exacting routines following a set schedule; Having seen these demonstrations gave me the idea to ask here:

Are any of the foam electrics with the cruciform fuselages and flat wings like those from Twisted Hobbies or any other source worthwhile having around for 3-D training?
Old 08-20-2020, 12:39 AM
  #17  
0305030angus
Junior Member
 
0305030angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Edward Simpson View Post
3D flying is a type of flying. In some cases, the air craft doesn't even fly. It will hover by hanging on the prop. In alternative words, There's no air moving over the surfaces making the lift and also the air craft stops flying. Some of the maneuvers in 3D flying are simply not humanly potential fully scale aerobatic planes. The G loads can get terribly high.
Thx for the info!
Old 08-20-2020, 04:22 AM
  #18  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,774
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by H5606 View Post
I don't fly enough (used to fly at least once a week and don't even do that now) and have a simulator that gets little use so these are areas to work on -

Some of the most impressive flying skills I've seen were in videos of competitions taking place indoors where pilots appear to be flying exacting routines following a set schedule; Having seen these demonstrations gave me the idea to ask here:

Are any of the foam electrics with the cruciform fuselages and flat wings like those from Twisted Hobbies or any other source worthwhile having around for 3-D training?
In a word, yes! ANYTHING that motivates/allows you to pick up that transmitter is worthwhile having around. The 32" class planes I think you're asking about fly absolutely awesome and are durable enough to handle a lot of those early mistakes with no damage. The downside is that unless you're flying indoors or within a very sheltered area, anything in the way of wind over a breeze can give you a reason not to fly. Jumping up just a little into 39" class planes allow much more control over wind, and fewer excuses not to fly.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:22 AM
  #19  
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)
 
daveopam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ELK CITY, OK
Posts: 7,600
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Best tool I ever used was a SPAD3D. It will teach your left thumb what to do. It is such an ugly turd it wont just fly around in a pattern. You have to constantly use all 4 inputs to keep it in the air. I built one for $40 and put a junk .45 glow on it with the worst servos I had laying around and gave it hell. The thing is you rarely land it. You bang it in, change the prop and go again. 12x4 props work well as you don't want speed, just thrust.
BTW QuiQue calls 3D " flying beyond the stall". Pretty good description if you think about it.

David

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.