Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

SPA3D vs. Mini 3D from Extreme ???

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

SPA3D vs. Mini 3D from Extreme ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 AM
epeltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA3D vs. Mini 3D from Extreme ???

Hi All,

I got a new .25LA for xmass with intentions on buying a Mini 3D. But while no rush with all the snow and below 20 deg Temp's I have been researching a bit more which makes things worse. My ? is if I have no 3D exp. but been flying for over 3 years which one of those planes is better to learn on for both a all out fun flier as well as a 3D trainer? Please give me any info that will help. Also if I was to go with Spa3D what engine is best for it (since my LHS said I could exchange the .25LA)? I also was thinking that if the SPA3D uses reg. servos and equipment then it can be utilized better in the future, where as you have mini equipment in the Extreme plane. I am also looking at what is easy to learn as well as repair cost if I start to get crazy with it. I am looking for something I am not to afraid to go all out and try things that I can do on G2 sim, but get scared once out with my better looking planes. BTW if I was going to go with the SPA3D is there a place to get a whole kit (all parts included)? Thanks
ed
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
nate1001
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: SPA3D vs. Mini 3D from Extreme ???

spa3d is good for flying 3d but isn't a very good flying plane to fly like a normal plane. it is very durable though. a mini 3d will do whatever a spa3d can do and probably more because it has an airfoil. but this plane won't take much abuse. its built very light and somewhat fragile. if you want an arf spa3d i'm selling them for $45.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Ed,

The best sized engine for the Spa3d is a .46. I had been running a Rossi .40 on mine. The power was great, but the engine was way too loud. Two fellow fliers have LA .40's on theirs and the planes fly fine. They don't have th vertical power like that of a .46, but they serve the purpose and will pull out of a hover. I'm replacing the Rossi with a LA .40. After flying my friends', I realized that's all I really need.

As for spending money on a prebuilt one, hogwash! No offense Nate, but $45.00 can get you enough materials to build three or four Spa3d's. Home Depot, Wal Mart, and a local sign and graphics Co. carry all you need to build these planes. As for time, It only takes about four hours to build one of these if you don't get to finicky about things.

Ed, as for durability, the Spa3d is indestructable. As Nate stated, they don't fly like a conventional R/C plane, but they're not designed to. They like to fly around slowly with a nose-up attitude. They are wonderful for learning harriers, hovering, and flat spins. They won't do everything a conventional 3D ship will do, but they will definately teach you the basics without the fear of damaging your plane.

Exchange your .25 for a .46 and you can use your standard servos and equipment. Spend $30.00 or so on the supplies for building the plane and go for it! After your friends see it fly, you can sell them the supplies left over from building yours, because I'm quite sure they'll want one.

John
Old 01-14-2004, 10:49 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

The Mini 3D because it has an Airfoil. It is a real plane and will simulate better for what a bigger plane woud do. The SPADS, IMO won't make you a better flier and you wil not have as much fun

Dan
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 AM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

I have both and all the points that have been made are good.

From my experience the mini 3D is just as easy to hover as the Spad, the Spad has a slight edge on harrier. The mini 3D can do much more but it is not as durable.

The .25 is perfect for the mini but you do have to buy mini servos and a mini battery to keep weight down, you could use a standard receiver. If this is one of your first ARF's you might need help, the directions are non existent and you have to figure it out as you go, like the SPAD.

If I could only have one, I'd keep the mini (no comparison).
Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Nate and Maverick are right

Dont get my wrong, I love SPAD3D's and yes you can make one for a .25 that does everything the big one does (I have done it). I have seen the Mini 3D in person. When it comes to performance the SPAD3D is a local saturday night dirt track race car. When it comes to the mini 3D then we are talking NASCAR and beyond.

But yes the SPAD3D takes a hell of a lot more abuse.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:39 PM
epeltz

This is what is wrong with this hobby. I have 4 ARF's now and after reading all of your suggestions and help, it looks like I have to have both. Darn my wife is not going to like this. Please give her all your emails so she has someone else to yell at. I might wait until after the big Toledo show to see what I get, but I think I am going to give one of those Spad3D a try and might keep my new .25la for a new mini3D after the show. We have a swap meet coming up and I might add another .40-.46 to my already .40LA and .46 Royal. I am currently flying a super sportster and a 4*60 w/ a .61FX (all ARFs due to too busy with kids, wife, and night school after work). The .40la is in a trainer that I am using to teach my father and soon my son how to fly. He said he will be ready this summer or next. I have a while before I will fly here in MI. anyways, I hate the cold and it won't get better until sometime late march or earl april.

ed
Old 01-15-2004, 10:00 AM
yard-dart

ORIGINAL: epeltz

Hi All,

. My ? is if I have no 3D exp. which one of those planes is better to learn on for both a all out fun flier as well as a 3D trainer? . I am also looking at what is easy to learn as well as repair cost if I start to get crazy with it. I am looking for something I am not to afraid to go all out and try things that I can do on G2 sim, but get scared once out with my better looking planes
What part of this do you guys not understand? This guy wants to "learn" 3D. He needs something that can handle a dirt nap. If a person is learning 3D, they are definately going to hit the ground at some point during the learning process. Why try to learn on some sort of balsa plane when it is probably going to be seriously damaged, if not destroyed? One or two instances like that and any person is going to say to hell with 3D. He needs something that is durable, super easy to learn on, and going to increase the confidence level without the fear of destroying a plane. This calls for a Spad, and no other. After getting comfortable with it, he or she can successfully move up to more fancy, more 3 capable plane. Advising a person, who is "learning" 3D to start out with a plane made of wood is not what I would call good advice.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:17 AM
southern_touch9

I am getting a bit tired of every one saying that a SPAD is THE ONLY plane to learn 3D on. I have owned 6 of them and have built and sold well over 20 of them. They are great airplanes for what its worth and they should be used to supplement a 3D trainer. HOWEVER they are not the only thing out there and they will not do the full range of 3D. In fact when you get beyond hovering and harriering they are 2nd rate. In all honesty I think a Sim is a great way to learn 3D, but it too should be supplemented with an airplane.

Do yourself a favor and build the spad3d you will love it (you will wonder why I am saying its not the best for a while). But when you get tired of the same ol' same ol' then step up to the Extreme Flight Mini 3D and be amazed at how much wider the envelope is.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 AM
yard-dart

Layne,

What other plane would you reccomend to learn 3D with that will give the durabilty and confidence level of a Spad? I never said that the Spad is the only plane one can learn on, and I'm quite aware of its limited capabilities. But, it "is" IMHO, the best plane for someone to start out on that has never attempted 3D. I'm sure you're tired of seeing the Spa3d mentioned, but that just goes to show how popular it has become among the 3D newcomers. Just give these newcomers the chance to try it out, and once they get the hang of it, they'll be ready to push the envelope with bigger and better planes. I have been exposed to 3D for the past three years now, and I never attempted to learn it because I was afraid if planting a plane. When I caught wind of the Spad, I tried it and fell in love with 3D. After about a week of the Spad, I've moved on to a Funtana. Now see, that wasn't too hard to understand, was it?

Peace,

John
Old 01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
southern_touch9

There is no other plane that is as durable as a SPAD. That much is a given. And I do think that everyone should try one out during the learning phase. It doesnt cost anything to build. But I would suggest a UCD as a primary 3D trainer and a SPAD 3D to use when you are wanting to try stuff closer to the ground. I would also suggest a simulator (which he already has). My recommendation for a sim is not G2. Its a great all around sim but from what I have seen of Ikarus then its the sim to have b/c you dont have to alter the planes so much to get them to 3D.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:08 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: epeltz

Hi All,

My ? is if I have no 3D exp. but been flying for over 3 years which one of those planes is better to learn on for both a all out fun flier as well as a 3D trainer?
Yard-Dart,

What part of "all out fun flyer" don't you understand? The SPAD is not an all out fun flyer, the mini is
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 PM
epeltz

Guys,

Lets not forget my reply, that I am going to get more then one plane (due to the inexpensive spad cost), as I have found out in the past 4 years of being in this hobby, you never can have enough planes and engines. (wife does not buy this) So for starters where do I get a parts list as well as good directions for the Spad3D. Also setup tips and CG, throw range, dual rate settings for starting 3D, and any helpfull info.

Also, what is the next best plane to learn on, meaning UCD, mini 3D, or any other and what size UCD. I am in this hobby for the long hall and like to have a wish list so if a swap meet comes up or a deal at a RC show, or LHS presents itself I am ready to buy. (again wife does not go along with this theory)

Also, when I was at the SPAD page I saw other profile planes that looked fun, can those be more for fun flying as well as doing some 3D. My club is very active and there is a lot of time that I must fly the pattern and not be in the middle doing 3D (that is when i start to learn). Thanks all this is helping me spend more $$.

Ed
Old 01-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Johnnylightning

*The original SPA3D. No other substitutes can be found at: [link]http://www.spadtothebone.com[/link]

*The plans are for the .40 size, but just scale it down.

*Most of the materials (except for Coroplast) can be found at H-Depot.

*For Coroplast, locate a plastics dealer or sign shop near your area.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:17 PM
UPTater

ORIGINAL: southern_touch9
...you can make one for a .25 that does everything the big one does (I have done it).
I'd like to know more about this. I have an OS-25FX on a PBF, but I flew a Spa3d a couple weeks ago - now I want to build one for my 25. I'm building a Burrito (Have you heard of it? - LOL) & I want a backup for when I dork it bad enough to bench it for the day.