Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Pattern Aircraft Eligability

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Pattern Aircraft Eligability

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 03:44 AM
bicwig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern Aircraft Eligability

Been out of the loop for some time. Is there any limitations (other that what I can decipher from the rulebook) on pattern planes. Saw in another posting someone flying a Kaos in intermediate. Think that's great. Please help, been out of the loop for a long time!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:04 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What type of pattern are you interested in? The 2X2 size of pattern. These are the high dollar 1.40/1.60 size planes or are you looking at the sportsman class size like the old Kaos planes.

centralhobbies.com , http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ , http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/index.html

You can find some nice pattern planes at these sites.

I am building an OLD design for a sport plane. It is a Curare. I am just starting to get back in from 15 plus years away from any type of pattern flying.

Dru.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:50 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey NC!!!!!!

Just about any decent sport plane that can fly straight could compete....at least at the Sportsman level. Beyond that, it's gonna be tough.

Kaos, Ultra Sport...heck even a good "stick" could compete.

'Nite
AMA 63990
Old 04-22-2003, 09:17 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The rules of what's legal to fly are fairly simple... 2 meters max length. 2 meters max wingspan 11 lbs max weight. You could fly a 72 inch square "Pizza Box Flyer" (the engine would stick out about right to hit the 2 meter max length) if you thought it might do the maneuvers. (It might actually be able to do the Sportsman series... but not competitively.)

A Four-Star 60 makes a NICE intro level Pattern plane. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
bicwig

OK, so a Mach I (old midwest kit) should fit. 60" wing, 10lbs, sounds crazy enough, just might work. Thanks for the info. Should have it done soon! Now, if I can just remember how to fly the ^%$#&ed thing!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:51 PM
mahoo

It is amazing how good a properly trimmed 2M pattern plane flys. I picked mine up used for $400 and love it. As the post above says- straight flying is required. I found with the smaller planes I have, 4*60 included, it is difficult to keep on line. This pattern plane makes me look like an expert, which I'm not. Now I'm worried if it is making me a better or worse flier. Nice big round loops require little or no corrections. Rolls are straight, etc.

Maybe one day I'll get the courage to compete in sportsman class, but now I just love to fly it.

Keep an eye open for a pattern plane, good deals can be found out there.

Mitch