Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Its Here!! Double Vision

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Its Here!! Double Vision

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its Here!! Double Vision

Great tip... I noticed that the back end (9.5") was about at the hatch line...

Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Balancing with the wings off sure will make it easier.

Joe
Old 06-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Mark,

It was great flying with you at the XFC, you need to put pictures of your new rudder set up!

Kitman
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
jvanoy3
My Feedback: (4)

Hello,
My name is james vanoy and i have a FRIEND that is needing to no if the small "A" frame cabane is in the front or back and is the taller one in the front or back?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Maudib

The taller cabane goes in the front... (opposite of what you'd think, but the turtledeck nose slopes down actually)

When setup properly the cross braces will travel from lower front cabane to upper rear cabane.

I'd recommend RED loctite on the bolts holding the center rib section in place... Mine came out the second flight with blue loctite...

The plane balooned unexpectedly and I had the wherewithall to drop throttle and bring it in... no problems... but I HAD been slamming the crap out of it in the air... had I done maybe one more fast snap or blender and I'da been hurtin' Wheew...
Old 06-28-2004, 10:30 PM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

What is the story behind the horizontal stabilizer mod shown in the newest instruction sheet on Chips' site? I have the older original instructions that don't have this mod, and was almost ready to fly until I took a look at the update.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:32 PM
trentmark
My Feedback: (15)

The plane will need excessive trim without the mod. It is a simple mod that should take no more than 20 to 30 minutes. You can fly it without the mod, but you will have about an eighth of an inch up trim to get it to fly straight and level.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:47 PM
JackL

Thanks for the explanation! It looks like a simple procedure, no problem.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Eric.Henderson

Bi-planes trim very differently to mono-planes. The "rule of thumb" for a Biplane is 2 to 2-1/2 degrees positive incidence on the stab. (Leading edge up). Zero degrees on the wing panels. This tends to only apply to fully symetrical wings. Then maybe, and probably, 1 degree of up-thrust on the engine.

The stab is a lot easier to adjust on a biplane than the wings because you don't have to change the interplane struts. I think that reducing the stab incidence did bring the elevator trim into line with the stab. It will and does fly with trim in the elevator but you get better rolls and KE's etc with the rear feathers lined up. I shall change mine to see what it does.

I see that guideline throws have now been added to the instructions which should help first flights a lot more.

Ref. The pushrod for the elevators. The prototype had the servos a bit too far back so the they touched inside the fuse. (It would have worked with low profile but not regular servos). Ply spacers under the servo mount lugs were used to create better separation. The production model moved them both forward and thus increased the length of the pushrod needed. I missed that one.

Ref. The length of the top wing tube. That one caught me too. The new cabane rib was inreased in width. It is much easier to assemble with the wider center piece. This affected the measurement of the wing tube.

I wish the instructions could have been perfect for everyone but speed was needed to get them done and in the kits ASAP so we could all be flying this super plane. This forum has been a tremendous help with those small but VERY important details that needed clarification. All of you have helped this ARF become a blast to fly. I especially like the links to the 3-D videos and all of the photos.

Regards.

Eric.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Roadster
My Feedback: (1)

FYI...... Check out www.wingtote.com they are making a wing bag for the DV. It is ONE bag that holds every thing. Two pouches are sewn on the front panel for the wing tubes and two more for the horz. stabs. Looks and works great.

Greg
Old 07-09-2004, 10:29 AM
trentmark

I ordered 2 wingbags including one for the double vision a month ago and they have told me it shipped 3 times during this time. When I talked to the woman who answered the phone yesterday, she stated they were going out today and we will send you a confirmation. Well I didn't get a confirmation, no call, nada.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:16 PM
JBrannon

Well I flew MY DV for the first time today. ZDZ50 powered, 2x1200 nimh batts for reciever n 1 1200 nimh for engine. NO WEIGHT ADDED, built as close to the lame instructions as possible. WEIGHS 16lbs 12 oz. Flys good at that weight but WAY over the advertised weight. These guys that got the first prototypes that weigh less than 15lbs must have gotten planes built from competition grade balsa.

With the new never run ZDZ50 it lept off the runway in less than 50 feet. Came out a little tail heavy, when I rolled inverted it did an outside loop. Wings and stab are set at 0 degrees. Elevator is sensitive but migh be because its tail heavy. Floated on landing. Very easy to fly.

Joe
Old 07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Maudib

That's great Joe...

It's always nice to get the first few flights under the belt.

It obvious you are still sore (and rightfully so) but hopefully as you get to know her, you'll enjoy the plane and be glad you own it.

My weight was a tad over 17 lbs and I too was dissappointed in that until I flew it... while it hasn't taken my heart by storm, I'm easing into it and liking it better each flight.

Funny, mine climbs a little inverted too... I think I'm a touch tailheavy, but it doesn' t show anything scary and I do like that.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 PM
trentmark

Shift your cg forward and you'll enjoy the plane much more than you are now. I normally like a tailheavy plane but this is the exception. shift your batteries or just add a few ounces to try it and see if you agree.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:03 PM
JackL

After the Horizontal Stabilizer mod, should the Stabilizer and wings both be at 0 deg.?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:01 PM
trentmark

YES!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Roadster

I think I'm missing a bag of small parts. I'm putting the cabane together and it says use " two long 3mm bolts and washers and fit the center rib to the top of the cabane." I don't have any 3mm bolts. How long should they be and what kind of head do they have? These are the two bolts that go in from the bottom up in the center rib.

Thanks
greg
Old 07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
JBrannon

I had 1 bolt n 1 screw, they are about 1 1/4 inches long.

Joe
Old 07-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Roadster

Thanks Joe.

Greg
Old 07-27-2004, 02:52 PM
AnthonyW

OK guys,
I started working on this thing and have run into a couple issues. See the attached link to Chips forum.
I did confirm I have the wrong DA mounts. They are suppose to be 1 1/4" not 2 1/2". DA is going to make it right, just send them the 2 1/2" and they will send me the 1 1/4".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/DV_B...2028070/tm.htm

Anthony Wiencek
Raleigh, NC
Old 07-27-2004, 03:19 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Just reading along here....

I watched Chip fly the soup out of a Double Vision this past weekend. Someone at the event had one and Chip offered to show him what it would do. OH BROTHER will this plane rock!!!! He did things I have not yet thought about. If I wanted a bipe, I would get this one!! He really put it through some death defying moves. Just thought I would add my .02c.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:06 AM
AnthonyW

2fast,
Do you have any pics you can post. Interior and cabanes.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 11:43 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthony
I am almost finshed with mine should maiden saturday, I can take some pics of my interior and send you if you like.
Not a lot of room to work but its all in and fitted.

zonk
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Maudib

You are going to love it...

It walls and parachutes beautifully.... and at a failry high speed too... I'm beginning to think you can't get it to snap on too much elevator... a lot like the EF YAK design in that respect...

Locks into a hover and will torque roll without aileron. The DA-50 is running like a top and gettin stronger each flight.

I fyou have troubles with flatspins, remove all aileron and just use full HR elevator & rudder... comes down very flat with a slow spin.

Been working on harriers and it is so sweet. little to no wing rock and predictable... just stay on the throttle.... as it'll just slowly elevator down if you don't keep it "juiced"... Even then if you get into trouble you can hit the gas and go... it hasn't given me any inclination of stalling/snapping at all... and that's at crawling speed... looks like you could just reach out and snatch it from the sky.

This is another "keeper".
Old 07-31-2004, 12:36 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Well guys and gals I just sent Carla and Don a check for one of the Double Visions they had in the marketplace. I bought the one with the DA-50.

Anything I should know from those who have this combination?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.