Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Its Here!! Double Vision

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Its Here!! Double Vision

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
dbcaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its Here!! Double Vision

This is directly off of the website.

The Special Edition DV comes with wheels, new larger titanium tailwheel, aluminum standoffs for engine, pre-drilled for DA50 mounting (a few will be available undrilled) and latest version of ChinaKote (will not loosen or sag!)
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 PM
dbcaster

Its not the cost of a set of wheels that concerns me. I received 1/4" axles with the kit and I am having a hard time finding a set of 3" wheels that can be drilled out to 1/4". I guess I will just buy smaller axles.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Chief's version does not come with the wheels... and Chip's did (So those wheels cost $150 tee hee...)

Chief's planes were special priced that's why they are $450

They have taken the wheels included now off of Chip's version too as of a minute ago... If you bought your DV from Chip before this time.. contact them...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Maudib

Yeah 1/4" is WAY to big for a 50cdc plane and you can save the little bit of weight too... I think I used 5/32" on mine

ORIGINAL: dbcaster

Its not the cost of a set of wheels that concerns me. I received 1/4" axles with the kit and I am having a hard time finding a set of 3" wheels that can be drilled out to 1/4". I guess I will just buy smaller axles.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:54 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

They sent a pair of wheels with mine but they where for a 40 size model and unusable for this airplane at its final weight. I talked to Chip and he said the wheels I got where sent by mistake. They really need to get the ad's right so we are not looking for somthing thats not in there. Chip had the wheels in the AD for a long time. At the $450.00 its not a bad deal for this airplane wheels or no wheels. Side note I got my ailerons all on there own ch. last week and got the "match boxs" MSA-10's out of the airplane. I can't use a Y harness with my HS5645's right now. I checked my servo's and there Version 1.04. They need to be sent in and updated. I will do that this winter. HiTec said it was strange that they would work on the match box's. But they did know about the Y harness thing and said to send them in. My 9 Z was up to the task and I got the mixing done and it all works good. Maudib I will be getting a few of your smart fly kill s/w's and putting them in all my gassers. You guys convinced me that this is vary important and needs to be done. I just check Chief and CHP web sites they have both changed the AD for the DV. Nether have the wheels in them anymore. I see on the Chief Ad there is no longer the Special graphics included in the kit but if you buy it from Chip the graphics are in there still.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 PM
dbcaster

I did buy the kit from Chief back when it was $995 for the combo. I will gladly take it at that price without the wheels or the graphics. It was more just a matter of making sure I didn't miss something. Is the issue with the Hitec servos and a wye a Futaba issue only?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Maudib

It's a Hitec firmware issue... but only rears it's head when connected to a Futaba PCM receiver... strange.

And may have only been the 5945's.. .not sure.. check the HiTec Support Forum for full details...
Old 08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
lazy eight

I agree its a sweet plane and the new low price is a wecome feature. As for the Hitec Hs 5645 I,m not sure if its a Futaba thing only or not. I just learned of this last week. I was having trouble trying to take out my match boxs that I had put into my first Dv last year. I got a new set of heavy duty Y harness's and tryed to use them but the servos would lockup. So I just keep using the match box's. It worked out great. I have some newer version HS 5645 but have not tryed them yet in a Y harness setup. They should work. So I put my 9Z to task and did a little more programing. All the servos are on there own Ch. I really did not think of putting all four aileron servos on there own ch. untill talking with some of the guys in the thread. I,m finaly staring to get the 9Z all figured out I got it arounnd 6 months ago.It will due a lot of stuff. I think the 14 MZ would be alot easer to get in to and setup.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 PM
niceflattop

I just received my DV today.....whahoooooooo! What an awesome looking plane. What wheels did you end up going with Dbcaster?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:57 PM
dbcaster

I am planning on using a set of DuBro 3 1/4". I couldn't decide on 3 or 3.5 so I went in the middle.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
KCCraig
My Feedback: (1)

Who knows the real skinny here?
I just checked Chip Hydes web site and saw that he is selling the DV for 649.00. But saw the Chief has them for 450.00? 1050.00 in a combo deal with DA50 included. So, what gives? Does the Chief version not include a lot of the hardware? They advertise the titanium tailwheel, aluminum standoffs, pre-drilled firewall. However no instructions. Must be downloaded from Chips website. I saw in earlier posts that wheels were not included in the Chief version. There must be more differences than that. If not Chief is haveing a hell of a deal. I was thinking I could get the plane now, while still in stock, and save my lunch money for the DA 50 later. 200.00 cheaper is awfully tempting. Just wanted to know if there was something I should know before I lay out my money.
Thanks Craig
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
dbcaster

Maudib,
I see that you cut out panels behind the firewall on the bottom of the fuse. Did you install your ignition and battery inside the fuse close to the firewall?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
KCCraig
My Feedback: (1)

What the heck is china cote anyway. Hope it's not that foam board covering kaka that came on the early ARF's
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
dbcaster

It is the covering brand used on the plane. The same as Ultracote only different.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Maudib

Yes I installed vreated mounting plates on both sides inside the fuse to install the ignition and battery to. A plate was then made to cover the whole area to tie it all back together. This got the "goodies" out from the exhaust of the muffler.

In the first pic you'll see the ignition at the top of the frame and the battery at the bottom. There is a bellcrank setup to actuate the choke.

You cam also see the front of the tank... I made a tank floor, velcroed the tank to it, and glued a 1/4" square stick of spruce stock to the underside... it lips over the former there and you can see two screws thru the rail and into the former. The back of the tank plate is similar. This makes removal of the tank easy

The second pic shows how the plates are attached in the fuse. If you choose to do this mod, make sure to use a hardwood rail under each end of the plate where it glues to the fuse. This is to create more surface area to glue to. Otherwise you only have the edge of the fuse material (1/8") to adhere too. Basically like tristocking the joint is what you are doing. You can see the piece of balsa I used on end near the opening... however, balsa proved not strong enouhg and I found my ignition and plate had broke loose and was fumbling around in there...didn't hurt anything... but not what I intended.

The hardwoord rails (maybe 1/4" spruce) instead of balsa have held up ever since.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77215.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	503975  
Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 PM
pjw_75
My Feedback: (2)

Chief just dropped shipped mine from Chip Hyde, Also Chip Hyde will price match it for 450.00 also. Mine came with wheels that didnt fit the axles, i just drilled out the holes a little bigger and they fit on pretty good.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
lazy eight

What kind of wheels did it come with? I was told it was not to have wheels in the kit that it was a type O.[:@]
Old 08-08-2006, 01:46 PM
pjw_75
My Feedback: (2)

Look at my build thread on http://www.downonthedeck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=754 you have register to see the pictures.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Maudib

Originally they did... then they shoved some wheels in there that ended up being too small for the plane's weight...

Now NONE ship with wheels )or if some boxes have them, they are too small...

End of story.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:34 PM
dbcaster

I purchased the kit when it was $400 instead of $650. I didn't get any wheels and it wasn't signed. I purchased a set of wheels for $10 bucks and signed it myself. I will take the extra $240 for that
Old 08-08-2006, 05:52 PM
dbcaster

I also did not get the decal with DoubleVision on the fuse. I am not sure if this was with my kit or all of the Chief deals. Mine was also shipped directly from Chip.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Maudib

I wasn't really hot ont he stock decals anyway... I made up and cut a nicer looking logo for mine with some bling...

Now what to do on the wings...

Name:	Vt57559.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	504284  
Old 08-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

The price was too good to resist, so I have a DV coming.

I want to ask those that have been flying this plane for a while if there are any issues with the CA hinges or the control horn attachment method. These items seem kinda borderline for hard 3D flying and abuse. I was thinking at least larger screws for the control horn attachment and perhaps nylon leaf/pin type hinges.

Any problems with these out there?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Maudib

Don't change a thing... the screws are long enough to bite all there is to bite and make sure to mark the position of the horn and pilot drill the 3 holes.

Then cut a triangle of covering away using the holes as the points
Medium or thick CA the horn to the bare wood
Install the screws, remove, harden the holes with thin CA, let CA cure 15 minutes, re-install screws.

On the linkage of the ailerons, there will be binding if you mount the horn square and out in line with the outer hole of the servo arm. THis will result in the MOST amount of binding...

Instead, mount the horn in line with the side of the servo, and slightly angle the horm to align with about halfway out on the servo arm. WHat this does is "split the difference" of the binding and makes it a non issue.

Oh and mount the srvos with the sahfts furhtest away from the horn... this will make the linkage as long as possible and again help minimize any binding...

Others who have mounted it square have complained of popping out the ball bearing in the horn... and others pop it out themselves and install a ball link... my method has worked perfectly....

And the horns are ROCK solid in some VERY hard walls, blenders, elevators, snaps... etc....

Name:	Ec89068.gif
Views:	11
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	504299  
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Maudib, I'll be doing that. I tend to install my linkages like you show whether or not I'm not using ball links.

How about the CA hinges? any of them get torn in violent snaps and blenders? (Snap-blender: while rolling downline, add same direction rudder just before going opposite rudder and down elev--results in a VERY violent blender)[X(]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.