Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 3d Passion .60 >

3d Passion .60

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3d Passion .60

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:29 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3d Passion .60

Any opinions on the 3D Passion .60? Can be seen at Chief Aircraft or GiantScalePlanes.
Price is right. Would it be a nice home for a Thunder Tiger Pro .60 ?
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3d Passion .60

"Don't do it" is my advice

There's something seriously wrong in the design of the tail. I had one with a 61FX and APC 13x4 prop. It will flutter either the tailplane or the elevators. I had no bindings and two servos in the tail and no hinge gap and every flight I had flutter problems (flying really slow and level) which the last flight killed it. I believe the tail is not aerodynamically balanced to support the large tail surfaces.

If you go through the posts, I think at least 1 other person had the same problem.

My friend had the 140sized Katana, and the build quality is quite questionable as well. It's structure is very weak and lucky he spotted the break on the ground. I personally would not get another CM Pro again.

Bill.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Not everyone feels this negative about this airplane or CMPro planes as a whole. Have a look at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1209858
and also at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1258207
I think you will like it.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:55 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I have one and it has taught me how to 3D. I was doing harriers at 200' them parachuting to 10' off the ground and popping up to a hover and I am by no means a 3D flyer. My only beefs with the plane are the flimsy landing gear and the motor they reccommend is way under powered. I had a older Saito 80 in it at first and it was so so. I then switched to an OS 91 and the plane came alive. I used a APC 15-4 prop and never had any issue with flutter. This plane is designed to fly sloooooooooow. The plane comes out tail heavy so a bigger motor helps.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Here are some pics of mine. A simple wire support for the landing gear made all the difference - it lands so slowly in any way. I also wire boxed the tail section - ? ? not needed but it is nice and strong and I like doing this mod on airplanes where airframe stress is expected. No flutter issues here. It is tail heavy so I installed a glow driver and mounted it's 2 cell battery pack and the receiver pack ( 5 cell 6 volt ) both under the tank in the nose. I like glow drivers in inverted mounted engines - especially in a plane like this where the engine spends a lot of time at very low throttle settings. I also beefed up the firewall a bit. Fitted a Sullivan 14 oz flex tank. Engine is a GMS .76 - measured just more than 8 lbs of static thrust while running rich - good vertical but not spectacular - an OS .91 FX will be awesome. It might need a bit more right thrust - just a bit. IMHO this plane is built very well from laser cut wood. It's well covered - I don't know with what but it is strong stuff. My cg is at approx 120mm - a bit further back than they suggested. It flies very neutral and seems well balanced. My hardware bag was not complete - so I used some parts from my spares box. I have read some negative comments on this plane ( it might just be folks bashing GSP/CMPro in general ) but have to say that I like this plane - a lot. I modify ALL my ARF's in any way - the mods I made here were in response to comments by others in RCU threads and seems to work well. I recommend this plane to anyone looking for a UCD3D alternative ( and that comment is not meant to knock the UCD3D at all - it is a great plane as well).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54392.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	162114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23888.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	162115  
Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 AM

Hi,

Do you have detailed photo of wire reinforcement of tail surfaces?

Marian