Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Hondalan
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE?

I just bought one of these for my wife for Valentines day. I know, most women like flowers or jewlery, not mine though. She is happy as can be. I am wondering what kind of mods should be made to this plane? I am thinking about a Saito 100 for power and not sure about servos yet.
Any help and pictures are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:24 AM
tripp3d

You are so fortunate!!! I have to do beg my girl to cut me loose and let me go fly my H3D
Old 02-15-2005, 02:54 AM
DragonHeart

Have its baby brother all ready for the off but as of yet the weather doesnt agree [:@].........................

Maybe soon......................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34450.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	229628   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42619.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	229629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43150.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	229630  
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I have mine still in a box that I bought from Holloween. As far as mod, I can think of 2:

1) Augment the rudder, especially the lower half. I am thinking about just adding a bottom-biased triangle to the aft end of rudder. Hope this will increase its rudder authority, as well as balancing yaw above and below thrustline (reducing roll coupling?)

2) Cut off the tapered wing tip, add wingtip plates, and possibly add aileron counter-balance outside the plates.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:06 PM
hoveralot

Ok guys, my Harrier will be here in 2 weeks so I hope to have it ready ASAP but have a question for you. I have a ST .90 already that could be a good choice for power but would like to hear options to this engine considering that my flying field is 4000 feet over sea level and also it is very humid so I´m not sure if using an APC 15x4 will be enough to hover the plane on the deck or should I get a 120 (4stroke or 2 stroke) or an OS 91 FX?.

I will be using hitec 475 on elevators, ailerons and 635 on rudder powered by 6 volts so it will have maximun torque and speed.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:01 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Ok guys here is the question i have a nib 110 ys ready to be mounted in the Harrior. Do you think the saito 100 is a better motor for it or should i stick with the 110. If i get a GS70 profile i could put the 100 in that bird comments welcomed. How does it balance out with the 110 versus the Saito 100?? ALos does the Harrior work with one rudder servo if i were to use a Hitec 5900 series digital.??
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
50 Size
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Guy's, Where can I watch the Vid of the Harrier flying?. I tried the Link in the earlier post's but it don't work anymore. Can somebody help me out ?. Thanks. I am really interested in this plane.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:29 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

I bought some MK horns from Central Hobbies but the arm that screws onto the horn isn't long enough to be centered because the aileron has beveled edges and it won't make it over the hinge line, so i'm trying to find out what works best.

i was wondering if anyone has used these from Dubro... http://www.shopatron.com/search/101.0?q=912&submit=Go

or has anyone used something else other than the stock horns?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Bodge

Check this system from Pete Tindal out - http://www.petetindal.co.uk/ - look under "PTA Accessories" on the web site. From experience the 3mm carbon pushrods, ball joints and horns are light, strong and very rigid - around GBP£20.

Name:	Db83749.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	268317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92456.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	268318  
Old 05-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Bodge

By the way, I have used an ASP 91 and an MVVS 91, both two strokes and the model was/is excellent on both. I like four strokes but in my opinion you don't need to pay top dollar for YS or Saito to get the performance.

The YS 110 and Saito 100 are undeniably good motors, but the reliability, performance and ease of use of the two 2 strokes I mentioned would be difficult to equal. Four strokes are not necessary for top 3D performance: try a Magnum or ASP 91 - excellent motors and cheap.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
tukkus

Bodge how does the control horn line up with the hinge line on the aileron?...the MK's i have are too short to be centered on the hinge line
Old 05-07-2005, 06:18 PM
tukkus

the beveled edge on the ailerons extend even more than the elevator, so a short arm that screws onto the horn won't line up properly, at least with the Mk horns
Old 05-07-2005, 07:25 PM
AdrianM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a big deal. If you have a computer radio you can even out the throws with end points. Check out my review of the harrier for an inexpensive/super rigid way of making carbon control rods:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=475

I used the Dubro hardware. I know the pattern guys will flame me but I like it more than the MK stuff. The Dubro parts are well made and feature an articulating base for air foiled flying surfaces. Dubro also makes a simpler version for flat surfaces that has the same really long horn.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Where is the plane balanceing out cg wise using the YS 110 getting ready to put this bird together , where should i mount batt pack ect for proper balance?? thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Bodge

The Pete Tindal set have offset connectors that screw down the threads on the horns. They line the clevise pivot up quite well with the hinge gap.

As AdrianM says: it's no big deal, you can dial any offset out on the transmitter.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:19 PM
DesertHucker

I balanced mine with out the battery installed.
put the plan on the balancer upside down at the wanted CG then set the battery along the fuse untill you find the balance point then install the battery at that point.

Thats the best way i found to set the CG

Lawrie
Old 05-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Bodge

Adrian,

By the way, a good review on the Harrier. I agree with everything you say except perhaps the need for a fourstroke. From my experience I've found two strokes work extremely well in this model. It's just down to personal preference (although I would have used a YS 110 if I could have afforded one...).
Old 05-08-2005, 04:29 PM
AdrianM

ORIGINAL: Bodge

Adrian,

By the way, a good review on the Harrier. I agree with everything you say except perhaps the need for a fourstroke. From my experience I've found two strokes work extremely well in this model. It's just down to personal preference (although I would have used a YS 110 if I could have afforded one...).
Thank for the kind words on the review!

Your right a light .90 size 2c would be fine. I tried it with an EVO 1.00 and it was just too heavy for this plane. Flies great in my Funtana 90 though. The Funtana needs a bit of nose weight so it works out well. I also agree the YS 1.10 would be the ideal engine.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:08 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Hi guys I took out my OS91 surpass and installed an OS 91 FX and really like it alot better it is ballistic with a 15X4W. It has plenty of power good combo without spending the big bucks for a 4 stroke. My 4 stroke went into an Extra 330 a while back and the Harrier had been collecting some dust I just couldn't handle seeing such a great flying plane sit anymore so I thought I would give the 2 stroke a try and I am glad I did!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:36 PM
AdrianM

I was thinking about modifying my Harrier. I can get it to do everything but flat spin. I talked to one of the Horizon test pilots at the NHRSA show in Las Vegas ands he said it has too much fuse side area aft of the CG to flat spin. He said you need side area around the CG only (think of how fish shaped profile 3D planes are). I am going to rebuild the aft section of the fuse so the turtle deck tapers from the top of the canopy to the top of the fuse box section at the tail. I will make a small fixed rudder ands use the same rudder flying surface (I'll probably frame up a new one).

I saw that the Harrier 40 had stab counter balances. I wanted to do this to the 90 at the same time at the rear fuse rebuild. Pic attached...

What do you guys think?

Name:	Ay75319.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	268885  
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
tukkus

Adrian, i like your idea, it looks good and if you do decide to do it make sure you have plenty of pics and a video to go with the renovation.

I wasn't aware the the Harrier doesn't flat spin so this idea you have sounds good to me...with any luck i'll have mine ready this weekend for a maiden flight.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:26 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

It looks great I wonder how hard it will be to modify the fuse though.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 PM
AdrianM

ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

It looks great I wonder how hard it will be to modify the fuse though.
Not hard at all. Currently there is a balsa cap on the turtle deck. All I would do is strip all the blue covering off the fuse. Cut the cap off and run strings from the top of the former behind the canopy to the top of the fuse box section at the tail on each side. Use the string as a guide to mark where to cut the formers. Cut the formers. Remove the existing vertical ply plate that is where the rudder would go. Run a new former cap from the head rest former to the last former just in front of the stab and round it like the stock one. Use blasa block to fill the area the rest of the way from the last former to the tail with a 5/16" gap in between for the new fixed vert fin. Build a fin, cover, rehinge, done

Pretty conventional open turtle deck construction.

FYI, the vert fin would only have room for one brace wire hard point so both of the stab top brace wires would go to one hard point on the vert fin. This will work just fine.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Bodge

Adrian,

Since you are virtually redesigning and rebuilding the fuz and tail, you nearly have a new model. Just some changes to the wings and there you are: a new 90 size 3D model. The more models of this size the better in my opinion. Publish or kit it.

Seriously though, I think you are right and that there could be a point where there is too much side area. The way our strip is laid out there is often a cross wind and I've found it really difficult sometimes to get the Harrier 90 off the deck safely. My first Harrier 90, during take-off, flipped inverted and flew through a nearby fence before I could get the nose up. Our strip is rather challenging - there are trees, fences, long grass, turbulence - the lot. But it is character building... and you need to do a lot of building.

I think reducing the side area in front of the fin would be a benefit. I am interested to hear how you get on with the elevator mods also.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:48 PM
tukkus

AdrainM...have you started modding the Harrier?....I'd love to see what it's gonna look like and how it will perform.

I'm almost done building mine, I have the tail wires, tail wheel and 2 cuts in the cowl for fuel dots and then i'm reading for the maiden

ys 1.10
apc 16x6
tru turn spinner
5/32 carbon fiber rods...titanium ends with 4-40 metal clevis
yellow Klett tail wheel
hitec 645 ail-ele-rud , JR 527 throttle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.