Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE? >

SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SEAGULL HARRIER 90...WHO'S GOT ONE?

At this point I wouln't say it sucks, only that it just tacs 9500 on a 15x4W with 30 percent fuel. Maybe with more time it will get better, we will tac it again after a few more tanks. As for the plane, it is built stock, with the normal number of servos and such, I don't see how the weight could be much more than the average H90. Have you flown the H46? Without having flown both, it's hard to realize how good the smaller one flies. The CG on my 46 is at the front of the envolope, the H90 is at the back of the envolope, but in manuevers that require no power like tic tocs, the big Harrier just sort of rocks the nose back and forth, my little one rocks the nose almost back to horizontal both ways. This with the flight surfaces maxed out on both. As I said, it make the H90 seem like it is flying in syrup instead of air.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 AM

if you were able to wiegh 2 h90 with no gear installed you would be surprised of the differant wieghts i have done this and mine is 3/4lb more than the other one
Old 09-05-2005, 10:24 AM

True, the weights to two bare airframes will seldom be the same, and two planes with different radio installations can vary in weight, but I said not much more than average. I would imagine that given that the average H90 weighs 9 pounds, some will weigh 8.5 pounds and some will weigh 9.5 pounds, but the lite one will only fly marginally better than the average and the heavy one will only fly marginally worse than the average. The differance I see between the H90 and the H46 is dramatic, more than could be credited to a small weight gain on the part of the bigger version. Extra weight can cause an increase in rotational enertia, but the bigger flight surfaces of the H90 should make up for that. I'm not saying the H90 is a bad flying plane or that it won't 3D, only that the smaller version seems to be much more agile, for what ever reason.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 PM
My Feedback: (17)

I've always wanted to feel what it was like to fly in syrup,...so I ordered one of these planes just now. They supposedly have them in stock, so I should have it by the end of the week. Add another 10 days for me to put it together and I should be flying by the middle of the month. I've heard so many good things about this plane and I need something to build so I'm trying one. I look forward to it. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find. Might even do a review of the plane. Although that is extemely risky business I've found by personal experience.
Thanks
Barry
Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Received word my airplane has shipped. This is my first Seagull ARF. Everything I've read about this airplane is positive. Hope my experience is the same.
THanks
Barry
Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 AM

Im sure this has been asked a few times, but i have to ask again.
I currently have the Harrier 46 running a saito 82, My question is, is the Harrier 90 a better flying plane overall then the 46?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:29 AM

I also have the Harrier 46 with Saito 82 and have just finished putting together a Harrier 90 with Saito 100. I will let you know how they compare in the next week or so.

ORIGINAL: Dealspeed

Im sure this has been asked a few times, but i have to ask again.
I currently have the Harrier 46 running a saito 82, My question is, is the Harrier 90 a better flying plane overall then the 46?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deal my man ... the bigger they are the better they fly, hehehehe ...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:56 AM

HI THERE
I DONT KNOW IF ITS JUST ME
EVERYTIME I TAILSLIDED FOR TAIL TOUGH H90 SNAP SO FAST AND VIOLENT
IT WAS UNCONTROLLABLE ALTHOUGH IT HOVERED GOOD & STABLE
WILL SOMEONE ADVISE TO OVERCOME THIS......? TOO AFT CG/ TOO MUCH RIGHT THRUST/
RPM TOO MUCH OR SLOW/ PROP TOO SMALL......
BTW IM USING EVO 100 WITH 14X6 MAS & 15% COOLPOWER
THX......DINO
Old 09-08-2005, 07:01 AM

If you are vertical in a hover the rearward CG should not cause a snap. In fact the manouver you are experiencing is probably not a snap roll if you want to be technical about it because in a hover the plane is not flying.

As it's dependent on engine power in this attitude more than anything else I'd look at your thrustlines first. Then move on to check that you have equal elevator throws if the problem persists.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 AM
My Feedback: (14)

NEED YOUR HELP-Seagull Harrier 3D .90 ARF for AFPD

Hey guys Yogi149 needs our help with 3-side view pictures and some pics from the fuselage only of the Seagull Harrier 3D .90 ARF also he needs to get the parameters correct, he need's weights from :
wings
stabilizer+ elevator
fuselage (incl. RC and fuel)

as engine I have taken the 90 Saito 4 stroke ca. 600 gr

what kind of prop? diameter? pitch ?
your weight overall?
the more information we can help Yogi149 with the better the Seagull Harrier 3D .90 ARF for our AFPD will be........thanks Max1[8D]
Old 09-08-2005, 08:12 AM

who is yogi149?
what does he need this info for?
what is AFPD?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM

I think he's trying to create the model for the Aerofly Pro Delux (AFPD) simulator.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 AM
My Feedback: (14)

yes smartmove thank you..........max
Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 PM

Got my Harrier 90 3D today. Opened the box for inspection only and was very impressed with the packaging. Very nice and what I saw of the plane was nice also. I look forward to building this baby.
Anybody got any advice before I start? Anything really stand out that needs to be done or watched?
My setup will be:
YS110
APC16x6
HS5645 on rudder
HS5625 on elevators
HS645 or ailerons
probably a mini on the throttle, but I have had a little trouble with the minis recently. May go with a 3004 Futaba
I'll go with 3" Ultra lite tires for my grass field.

I'll probably want to set this baby up so I can do loops.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
THanks
Barry
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

A word of caution. Barry. If you set the model up to be able to loop, it will be very difficult to fly in a straight line. The elevator is very sensitive, and if it moves enough for you to loop you may lose control completely. I would set it up for no more than shallow climbs and glides for your first few flights, just to get the feel of it. From there I would proceed to steep climbs and glides. When you feel you have mastered these difficult maneuvers, then you can safely set the plane up for loops. For your first few loops, I would restrict your throttle to no more than about 65% open. This will give you big slow loops which are easy to handle. Then, over the course of a few more months of practice you can gradually increase throttle till you are flying at 100%. I hope I haven't scared you too bad. This plane does fly really good. I've been doing loops with mine for almost a month now. Next are rolls. That's another whole learning process in itself!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM

Not24, I have it on good authority that you messed up one of your loops and turned it into a stall turn to try and cover your tracks, is this true????????

Ed M.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 PM

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I have a really big engine on mine and loops are really easy, even at reduced power. I must admit, however, that when the plane was upside down, it seemed like the controls are reversed. Can you help me out with that?[]
Old 09-09-2005, 09:53 PM

Nobody ever told you to turn the radio upside down so the controls work right! You must be flying with a bunch of guys that like to with hold critical information. I'd hunt up the ring leader and slap him/her/it.

Ed M.

BTW: thanks guys, needed this........
Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Thanks Mr. Gear! I'll try that next time I fly. One question, though. Does this work with rolls too, or only with loops? Sounds like I need more training from a really good pilot that knows all these things. I can't believe I've been doing it wrong all this time!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 PM

Have not got that far myself. Everytime I try it with rolls my arms get so twisted up I'm laid up out of work for several days. Gonna keep trying. Please, if you get it figured out promise me that you will let me know how you did it. You can even PM me a vid if you wantot keep it a secret.

if you do, I promise to destroy that picture of the loop into stall turn.

Ed M.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:51 AM
My Feedback: (121)

You guys are a riot. I have the secret to the Harrier 90. You get it so tail heavy that it will hover by itself. It won't fly right anymore but that's really not the point. It will hover hands off and everyone says wow you 3d well.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:47 AM

Sounds like you guys are making the loops more difficult than they have to be. Flying with the radio upside...Give me a break. Here in Idaho we just lay down half way through the loop and look into a community mirror while you finish the loop. That way the controls aren't reveresed. I thought that is how everybody did it. But, I gotta be honest with ya, you have to make certain to quit looking in the mirror at the proper time. Don't ask how I know that.
THanks
Barry
Old 09-11-2005, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love flying the Harrier doing outside loops, not when inverted ... I fly upright figure 8s ... its so nice to see her do a nice outside loop.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:05 AM

I only know how to do outside loops. I thought that's what everybody did. I think you need a foamy to do an inside loop. And as for the figure eights upright, I do all my flying upright. That's why the mirror idea is a difficult one for me. I need bifocals also, so looking through the right part of my glasses presents its own set of problems. You know how sometimes you can look at a mirror, and sometimes you look into a mirror? Getting the distance right is tricky with glasses on. I look like I am agreeing with someone without actually saying anything when I look at a mirror. Man, this is getting more difficult all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.