Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Flip- what do you think? >

Flip- what do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Flip- what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flip- what do you think?

Building a Flip 3D next week. Gonna put the new Saito 82 in with Hitec 5645's. You think this will be enough or put my Saito 100 in?

Thanks, Ryon
Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 AM

Default RE: Flip- what do you think?

saito 82 should be fine unless you fly at 5000ft+.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

That should be enough. Mine had a Satio 72 and was nice, would not waterfall but ever thing elese was nice. I am planning on a 82 to replace my 72 (sold it in another plane). I recommend replaceing the hinges in the rudder with heavy duty hindges. mine bleww off twice before I made the change.

Gary
Old 10-28-2004, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

-
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM

I've still got the metal hinges in mine, I just pinned them with a drill and some cocktail sticks.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:02 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Hi guys. I don't own a flip 3D, but a friend of mine does. On his maiden landing he landed with a little roughness to it and it snapped the fuse in half. I honestly didn't think he landing hard enough to snap the fuse in half. The approach was level and on touch down the wind caught it and it plopped down sideways somewhat but not hard enough to do the damage that occured. He may have gotten a weak version or the landing could have been a little harder than I thought it was, but either way, it was repaired and flys great now. He has a Saito .91 on his and it flys great.

My Funtana S 90 has HS-5645MG and seem to do very well. They are really strong. 168oz of torque and centers well, atleast mine does for now.

Thought I'd share my experience with the Flip.

Good luck with your flips
Old 10-28-2004, 01:10 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, replace the rudder hinge w/ Robart Point Hinge, and use 3, making sure 1 is as close to tail gear attachment point as possible.

I had experimented quite a few engines on my Flip:

*Magnum 52 XLS 2-stroke: plenty of power, but doesn't quite cut it due to louzy transition

*OS 70 Ultimate: adequate power, good transition, but could use a little more. This engine has design flaw from what I've read.

*Saito 82: perfect power, swinging APC 14x4W @ 10700 on 30% nitro fuel. My only gripe w/ this set up is that the 82 vibrates a lot @ 1/3 ~ 1/2 throttle, and the Flip w/ its clear Ultracote tends to resonate greatly @ this rpm. When I hover, the ringing vibration makes me uneasy. If you can, try APC 15x4W instead, as it will peak @ Saito 82's power band better (mid 9k).

*Saito 91: awesome combo; it will waterfall forever w/o dropping. APC 15x4W @ 9800.

The stock landing gear may be too short for 14" or 15" prop. You might want to look into Fiber-lite's gear for Something Extra. That's what I used. Just don't point your exhaust to the CF gear.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DTB, you are not the only one. I lost my flip the exact same way. Banged the fuselage a little hard on a landing, the fuselage snapped right in half. the plane is very light, flies very well and is very weak behind the wing. but it was made to fly, not to crash. or land badly.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:01 PM

when mine goes into the prop hang it makes a weird buzzing sound.

However easiest way to get over the rudder is to not use the supplied tail wheel, either use a peice wire (rudders big enough for ground control) or another wheel attached by elastic band. My landing gear area is also quite weak. Seems to be some hard balsa instead of ply.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:28 PM

My flip 3D flies great with my OS FS 70 Ultimate. It hovers at about 1/2+ something throtle, this engine can pull it out of hover easily but not like a rocket. It can flip & hover and waterfall very well, you need an aft CG and large elevator throw, mine is about 50 degrees. Just try to build it as light as possible. Use light batteries and a lighter landing gear. I ordered a carbon one from Carbon Copy UK which will give me better ground clearance as well.

I currently use an APC 13x4W prop with 25% Ni Cool Power, I am planning to use 14x4W with 30% Ni. Last week one of my rudder metal hinges went off, there was a cut on the metal near the pin. This due to the horizntal vibration of the rudder/fin, just check how it vibrates horizontally. Only two hinges can not support this vibration amplitude. I replaced both of them with three Dubro 1/4 scale heavy duty hinges and I also put some wooden sticks and a thick decal over them for further robustness.

Flip 3D has a very ROBUST structure one of my mates lands it with the tail gear (harrier landing) and sometimes smashes his props and landing gear on the ground without any cracks on the mainframe. That's why it is heavier than similar models of its size such as the Madness which comes about 300 to 400 grs lighter. So, don't be afraid, it is not that fragile. At the end of the day it is made in China so it is a quite heavy structure.

With regards to vibration it vibrates a lot at lower RPM. This thin film and relativelly light structure make it behave as a "loudspeaker". Also the Elevator and Rudder extension leads can create further noise. What I did was to stick some foam with tape on the connectors of the leads in order to eliminate the sound created during their coliisions with the fuselage.

Nik
Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 PM

I forgot to answer your main question. If I was to decide upon a four stroke engine I would choose one with the higest power to weight ratio. For a 40 size plane three are the engines with the best p/w ratio. These are:

YS 63, Satio 82 and OS 70 Ultimate.

If I was to decide now, I would go with the YS because I you can put the tank at the CG range. Saito is not bad though. Do not use 91 or 100 it will come very very nose heavy!!! You will have to put lead at the back and the plane will be 3Kgs in the end!! Simpily DO NOT DO IT!!!

Don't go with the Ultimate, good engine in my opinion but is needs lots of nitro and does not have the same output as the YS, it is also the most expensive. I bought ii to use it with less nitro but I can't, it doesn't work. If you don't want the YS because of the high cost get the Saito 82 without any further thought.

By the way here's a photo of my flip.

Nik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95571.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	187612  
Old 10-28-2004, 11:10 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Hey thanks alot everyone, I really appreciate the come backs on everything. Alright, Im gonna put the .82 in. Should be here on Monday. You know, I had a YS .63 and to tell you the truth, it never ran as good as any of my Saitos. Don't get me wrong- it ran good but for the money they want for them, I just don't think it was any better than my Saito's....I love my Saitos!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:36 AM

Ref.

"With regards to vibration it vibrates a lot at lower RPM. This thin film and relativelly light structure make it behave as a "loudspeaker". Also the Elevator and Rudder extension leads can create further noise. What I did was to stick some foam with tape on the connectors of the leads in order to eliminate the sound created during their coliisions with the fuselage."

Fitting an "A" type Hydemount makes a huge difference to the effect of the engine vibration and the noise of the air frame. Your servos and hinges will last a lot longer, not to mention battery life, than without a soft mount.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:20 PM

my flip has a hyde soft mount - forgot I had a review here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...78&kit_id=2131
Old 10-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Hi foofy,

Where did you get your Hyde mount from?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:37 PM

I got mine from probuild with the motor. www.probuild-uk.co.uk
Old 10-29-2004, 02:16 PM

Foofy,

I checked it. 65 GBP is a bit expensive I think. If it was a 120 size model I wouldn't mind but for a 40 size I don't think it is really worth.

Rgrds,

Nik