Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Customized Chip Hyde Vision 3D!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Customized Chip Hyde Vision 3D!

Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Angus Balfour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Customized Chip Hyde Vision 3D!

Yea, just I was after an impartial view. An F3A friend of mine was a bit dissappointed in his so he got rid of it. Im very tempted tho as i got rid of my last 3D plane and the Vision for sale is only £675 with ZDZ 50 and Hitec digis (about $1250)

Angus
Old 03-24-2005, 12:47 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

You did a fantastic job on covering the Vision Tom. I really thought Chip would have changed the covering by now to something better. I have one of the first Cap X's he sold and I thought he mentioned changing the covering way back then. I have been gradually replacing the covering on my plane ever since I bought it.

I really would like one of these new "Vision" planes but the covering has put me off.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:33 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks a lot my friend, glad you like the covering. I sit here and just stare at it all day Just wish I could be flying it instead! []

Still 30-40 degrees and raining every day [:@] I don't think flying weather is EVER going to get here!

Cya,

Tom
Old 03-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

yeah we just got 3 more inches of snow night before last. so even more white stuff to melt now. this winter will not let go. We better have a nice summer, the past two have been a rainfest.

I see Chief aircraft has Visions for 469 now. Nice price.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, you northern Ohio boys get slaughtered every winter, & when spring gets here, Ole man winter just doesn't want to let you guys go. Down here we had a pretty mild winter but now it is raining for days at a time.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Fastlif

Yeah the snow is gone again, but rain this week, and the ground is a mess.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:20 PM
NE0

Same here. Snow is gone, but it's about 48-50 degrees and raining. The entire county is a mudhole. They're talking about a "heat wave" to 65-70 degrees this week... but MORE RAIN! [:@] I think I'm going to either put floats on this Vision or take up RC Boats! [&o]

Tom
Old 03-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Fastlif

I am hoping after toledo that it will be good to fly, I sure hope starting that week things clear up. We like you Tom need a few days of hot sun, and dare I say it, wind.

I am thinking hard of buying a Double Vision, but I hate the two wings putting together at the field crap. My buddies flies great, but its a pain to screw together at the field. Or I should say a pain compared to a Vision. Was thinking about the EF yak, but they are out of stock, and I dunno, seems to be a big Yak craze going on right now in the hobby. I myself like them, just...

Maybe at Toledo there will be something new out.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:52 PM
NE0

Yeah, those are great birds too. I've got a DV and an EF Yak here too... just gotta put 'em together. Yak first... then DV. I've got all the goodies for the Yak and hope to start it this week. The DV will have to wait a while... maybe a "backup" plane

Tom
Old 03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Angus Balfour

Ive decided to buy that Vision with ZDZ 50. Ive not seen one in the flesh to know just how big the surfaces are but I take it 9204's will be powerfull enough on aileron + I was planning on using a 9206 on rudder. Enough torque?

cheers,

Angus
Old 03-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

Wow!!

Tom,

Great covering job!! Thats far better that David's will look!

Kitman
Old 03-28-2005, 05:04 PM
NE0

Thanks! Now don't you go and repeat that to Dave! [sm=lol.gif] [sm=lol.gif] You'll get me in trouble! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-21-2005, 03:59 PM
NE0

Well, I thought it was time to follow up on this thread and post a more comprehensive evaluation. After about 10 flights, I have some news that is a bit different than what I originally experienced on this plane...

As I mentioned earlier, I did a number of mods to my Vision that contributed to a somewhat tailheavy balance situation. Most of which I think could have been avoided had I used 2-1/2" standoffs instead of the stock 1-1/4" DA standoffs. At any rate, I needed 13 ounces to balance at the recommended CG of 3-1/2" back from LE at wingtip.

After quite of bit of testing, I found that I was able to move my CG back about an inch to 4-1/4" which is just at my limit for my skills. Anything further forward and I found that hovering was impossible and walls were not very good (some snapping). Anything further back from 4-1/4" and it got a little too pitch-sensitive and came in a little too "nose-high" on landings for my taste.

Moving the CG back to 4-1/4" allowed me to remove 7 ounces of lead from the nose bringing my AUW down to 16.3 pounds. [sm=thumbup.gif] That's still a little heavier than a stock Vision, but much lighter than 80% of the planes out there this size. It has unbelievable vertical power at this weight and has great slow-flying characteristics, so weight and/or wing-loading is not a problem.

With this rearward CG, I found that my walls are very clean now, no snapping at all. I can hammer full down-elevator tumbles all day and not even lose any altitude. Harriers are great, axial rolls are very precise and extremely fast. Knife edge is average at higher speeds, but messy at low speeds. I still cannot get it to flat spin upright or inverted, but it does an awesome wingtip/knife-edge spin. I'm still finding it's snap rolls to be the prettiest I've seen and you crank out tons of them subsequently without loss of altitude.

Hovering is easier now than with the forward CG, but still quite difficult. The plane just keeps wanting to fall off to the left side even with full high rate right rudder. I thought that this was due to needing more right thrust, but I've heard of others that are still having this problem even after adding right thrust.

As far as durabilty goes, after 10 flights, all bolts are holding tight, airframe is sound and nothing is rattling loose yet. My Hobby Lobby hatch latch is working perfect, and I've had no problems with the HS5995TG robot servo on the rudder.

Overall, I would rate this plane an 8 out of 10. A score of 10 would only go to the Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54, and my previous Wild Hare Edge 540 would be something like a 6. So, all in all, it's still one of the best planes I've ever had. I don't know of anything else I've flown that I wold give an 8 or higher too (except the Yak). I need to spend more time with this plane figuring out the rates, mixes, and exactly what it wants me to do to persuade it into some of the elusive manuevers, so I'm not really 100% sure that the score of 8 won't go up or down 1 point by end of summer.

If it would only hover and flat spin like a Yak, it would be a 10 in my book. Those two things are why it's missing those last two points IMHO.

I still would reccomend this plane to those that can't get their hands on some of the new Yak models that are virtually impossible to find, or would prefer not to hassle with the setup of a biplane like the Double Vision. This plane is certainly no DV, but deserves to remain in the family. Sometimes you just want to slap the wings on and go, and not have to hassle with setting up a biplane at the field.

Of course, I've got a DV in the box, so I hope to have one of those ready to go later this year to.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78448.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	274435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25774.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	274436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61660.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	274437  
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
myrcplanes

My name is wayne,I have just started building my vision and it seems I ran into a few problems.I had a problem getting the wing retainer pins to line up wound up having to dremmel out the boss retainers to get the wing on,horizontal stab has a lot of slop in it after I drilled and tapped the srews in it,I noticed rotating pin does not fit snug in fin pin too small and carbon fiber stab joiner fits too loose in fuse.Has anyone had this problem and what should I do to fix it
Old 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM
riribarr

hi NEO, is posible post the .EPS archive scheme or vectorized file, please
Old 07-05-2009, 06:54 PM
NE0

The scheme is not an EPS file. I mocked it up and Photoshop and then cut it by eye & hand (except for the logos).
Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Amazing job. You should be proud!