Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

My First Airshow!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

My First Airshow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Banche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Airshow!

Well turns out that the first and seccons graders at my school are studying aviation and the Wright Brothers in there class. One of the teachers is a mother of a guy in my Freshman class and she new about my planes and asked me to fly for there class and do sort of a demonstration of how the planes work. So today I got out my Funtana 90 and went in the morning and went to the lower school campass with a field that was just about the size of a baseball field.

I told them about my plane and then took off to fly around for about 15 minutes. I live in the heart of Dallas Texas and it was kinda of a neighberhooded area with a big central expressway/ toolway next to the field. It was really a blast flying for them all, about 80 of them and every time I would fly by and hover in front of them they would scream really loud. He He. I was up real high in the air attempting blenders and the like. I kinda can doo them and right after I landed the school secretairy, who is my moms friend cam out and told me to hurry up and get out of there because the police were looking for a big yellow plane that was flying around. Evidently I had caused a huge comotion on the freeway and a bunch of cars had slamed on there brakes, thinking it was a real plane, and stoped traffic, lololol.

Well no one got hurt and now I am a big hit with all the little kids. Just think about flying by them all upside down real low and real close at full throttle. Now even though I play football I am gonna stop to do the halftime show. that will be awsome!

John, 15
Old 04-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: My First Airshow!

Wow the cops were you lookin for you.

Man I wish that I got to fly for a whole bunch of little kids. I'm a Freshman in highschool so i can sord of relate to you.

Definetly a good story to tell to your club members
Old 04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

now thats funny.. What were the cops going to do..if it was organized by the school. IMO you have the right to fly it and the cops can only say they dont think its a good idea someone may freak and think terrorist or whatever they can think of ...

sounded like a cool day
Old 04-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Sounds cool but I would say what the cops can do depends on the state.

Let's see:
Disturbing the peace
Causing a traffic hazard
Putting on an exhibition without a permit

School may have asked him to do it but it's still unsafe that close to a freeway. He would get the ticket or arrest, again depends on the state, but would the school help him out with the fine?

Just a cops .02

Old 04-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Johnny 3D

You might want to think about a foamy next time...

I bet those kids were impressed...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:28 AM
nitro wing

Sounds cool and fun.Must have been tough having a flightline and safety area between that size plane and the kiddies in that small of a space.make sure there is an effective room for error between spectators and your plane.It's neat to have an audience sometimes [8D]
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 AM
lomcevek1

I have done a few demos for kids and they are LOTS of fun. Keep safety in mind, and a foamy is also a good way to go, however the kids like the scream of a glow.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 AM
georgec

ORIGINAL: Salty25

Sounds cool but I would say what the cops can do depends on the state.

Let's see:
Disturbing the peace
Causing a traffic hazard
Putting on an exhibition without a permit

School may have asked him to do it but it's still unsafe that close to a freeway. He would get the ticket or arrest, again depends on the state, but would the school help him out with the fine?

Just a cops .02

Give me a break... good lord.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen something similar before. The police were called because people driving down the road saw the plane go down behind the trees/low and thought that it was a full scale and that it was going to wreck.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:44 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, is this post for real, or is this a test/troll?

If so...SHEESH![X(]

I've put on a lot of demo flights in 31 years of R/C flying, but have or would NEVER do something like you have described!

My main thought is the "impression" you would have made in the side of some little kids head with the spinner of that size and weight airplane if you would have gotten a radio glitch or something!!![X(]

Real low and real close at full throttle? With a Funtana? Are you kidding?!

Man oh man...

Scarry bud...

I'm not tryin' to preach, but jeez pal, some things can be out of your control, and 1 little problem and some innocent little kid(s ) could have been seriously hurt or worse...

And, Funtana's have been known to self destruct at high speed, remember?!

I'll get off my soap box now...
Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Mudsurfer1234

ORIGINAL: proptop

John, is this post for real, or is this a test/troll?

If so...SHEESH![X(]

I've put on a lot of demo flights in 31 years of R/C flying, but have or would NEVER do something like you have described!

My main thought is the "impression" you would have made in the side of some little kids head with the spinner of that size and weight airplane if you would have gotten a radio glitch or something!!![X(]

Real low and real close at full throttle? With a Funtana? Are you kidding?!

Man oh man...

Scarry bud...

I'm not tryin' to preach, but jeez pal, some things can be out of your control, and 1 little problem and some innocent little kid(s ) could have been seriously hurt or worse...

And, Funtana's have been known to self destruct at high speed, remember?!

I'll get off my soap box now...

Give me a break.... Good lord
Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Not24

I agree with Proptop.

While visiting my brother in Fort Lauderdale, he wanted to fly his control line model for its maiden flight. We were both psyched up and wanting to fly, because it was just after the 500, and his plane is done up like Dale Jr, red with a few 8's on it. The problem we had was trying to find a place large enough to fly, that wouldn't cause trouble. We found a nice big clearing with short grass, but it was right on the highway. I had to talk him out of it, citing the fact that we could cause a car accident. We eventually found a park that was big enough, and not on a main highway. The moral of the story is this. There are approved flying sites with flying clubs for good reason, and safety is the biggest. We could have saved many miles of searching for a field, had he just joined the local club.

My brother and I hadn't flown C/L for twenty years, and it was definitely fun. It would have been more fun if I knew we were welcome to fly at an approved site.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:25 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

I agree. A Foamy is more in line here. I think the F90 Real fast and low past the kids(if for real) is out of line. what would have this turned out like if something went wrong?? Very bad & What kind of reputation would this have given the RC community if somehow there was a glitch? Those kids parents did not bring their children to air show and sit them out on the front line--they sent them to school. It blows me away that a school would do this. --if this is for real
Old 04-15-2005, 09:38 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

The older we get the more dangerous everything appears to be Pretty soon I might just start staying indoors

Just don't make that high speed pass toward the crowd!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Banche

Lots of people have really never heard of these rc planes. like all of my classmates, however cool they are. I have about 100 flights on my funtana and am very confident with it and am by no means a newbie pilot. I can hover and do lots of 3D stuff. Why would you fly if you thought that your equipment would glitch? II got a saito 100 (underpowered) Hitec digitals and JR radio gear. I have sealed the hinges and have the proper mechanical advantage even though I have 100 oz torq at 6v.

Whats with the foamy? How are you supposed to keep 100 little kids who are learning how to read interested with one of those, granted they are really fun to fly even though I have only flown them and dont own one.

You can fly the funtana at full throttle strait lines withought problems. I can hover kinda close to the kids and do 3d stuf but they all liiked it when I flew by real fast so thats what I did about 15 times. Upside down, rollong and the like. It really is amazing watching your plane do that with the laud noise and he smake and the real big looking flying thing.

I did fly by them about 12-15 feet away because I was standing within 2 feet of there big long line along the side of the field. I am glad I did it too, they enjoyed it very much and my little brother who is in kindergarden said that every one talks aboujt it. I would gly for them again if they wanted me to. I just wouldnt go so close to the highway. The tollway is in a ditch about 20 feet below the school so they cant see the field and as long as I dont fly directly over them it shouldnt cause a problem. I can see how I coiuld get in trouble and get sewd though. How do you spell that sood?

Its awsome to hear 100 and there were 100 little kids scream as laud as they can in awe!! It is really fun performing your hobby, when it is this cool infront of people who didnt know it exhisted.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:42 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

I am assuming that you FLY with PCM or some other receiver that has fail safe and have it set correctly?

Another thing to consider is that the fly sight you are flying out of my not have been known to be a clean place to fly--at our designated places to fly we have a better idea as to what the chance are that we will sustain a radio hit. In all my flights I have only sustained one radio hit that I know for sure. It just happened to be at a school yard--there were no kids around as it was a Sunday and I was park flying with my foamy. I have not gone back to that place to fly again.

Don't get be wrong, I do think it is great for everyone to be exposed to the RC flight & I am sure it is a lot of fun. If you go to TOC competitions(these are the best in the world with the best equipment in the world), usually you won't see the best competitors in the world doing high speed passes low and close to the crowd. And when they are doing their hovering it is also away from the crowd--they may walk out across the runway to stand next to it.

Do you think you can get the AMA to give you a [sm=thumbup.gif] on your actions? Do you think your AMA insurance was covering you during your expo?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Banche

I got a JR R770 PCMR in the f90 with a 6102 radio with pcm modulation. Why wouldnt I take the time to set the fail safe?

I was in total controle and in every plane you take risks of equipment failer but the risks are tiny in my plane! I know how I built it and I aint gonna worry about them!

The kids like a real big airplane screaming fast by them and so thats what I gave them. That plane was the biggest think to hit the lower school all year because if you think about it, hardly anyone knows how cool are rc planes really are. There were several people who just stopped to watch too.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:58 PM
drumbum

I would rather go to a School that a kid brought his plane rather than one a kid brought his gun[:-]
Old 04-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Banche

why do you care about pcm so much anyways? all it does it hold the last command and if I was comanding to get a little closer to the little kids then it is worse off if my radio fails. Never Ever build the Funtana 90 with the saito 100
Old 04-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Angus Balfour

Cos with PCM you get far better noise rejection (its a digital signal, not analogue), thats the biggest advantage.

Angus
Old 04-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Banche

thats awsome, I didnt know that Angus!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Not24

There are people on here trying to be nice to you and let you know in a nice way that what you did is not very smart. The more people try to make their point, the more you rebuke them. There are many things to do that are fun, but you need to realize the risks as well. Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe you won't get a glitch. Maybe all your connections will stay together and your transmitter won't suddenly have a cold solder joint that fails at the wrong time. Maybe your thumbs are very intelligent and they never go the wrong way. Maybe the model never goes into the bright sun and maybe all the kids stay put and don't run out in front of the plane during a low pass or try to touch it while you are hovering. Maybe your engine won't backfire and spin the prop off. Maybe, none of these things happens to you, but if something like that does, you have no insurance to cover property damage and no insurance for medical bills. Attorneys love it when people need them to try to help them save their but while they are being sued, (yes, that's how you spell it), for negligence, and endangerment. How long does a tank full of fuel last? About 10 minutes or so? One little problem during that 10 minutes could change your life forever. Just think about it that way, and maybe you will understand that the people on here are your friends and are only trying to keep you on the right track.

I'm not trying to put you down by my comments. Just trying to help you see how easy it is for something very bad to happen that could get you in a world of trouble.

Eddy B.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM
georgec

Never Ever build the Funtana 90 with the saito 100

I will have to agree with that I have the same setup and not happy at all with it.[:@]
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

i fly my tribute 3d 370 brushless and these old ladys covered there ears and said it sounded like a dentist drill i hope u keep flying over roads thats so cool
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13863.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	259063  
Old 04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
nitro wing

It would be great if you could invite the kids to your flying field,a much better environment to show all you got,without risking as much.
**** happens...all the time.Take full scale airshows for example,hundreds of mishaps often fatal to the pilot and spectators.As someone mentioned,all comments are educational and are not out to flame you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.