Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

My First Airshow!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

My First Airshow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:25 PM
theradioflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My First Airshow!

31 years old and Vice President of our local club. I say COOOOOOOOL. What sparks our hobby more than a hot shot showing off what he can do, not what he can't do. I freak every time I see Sean Tucker get TOO LOW or Patty Wagstaff go NUTS. It inspires, yes there is a risk but apparently not enough for the teachers to step in
Old 04-16-2005, 10:53 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

If something were to have happened and many kids were injured do you think that would make the news? Don't you think that many people would then start to think that these planes are more dangerous than they are??

Of course with a fail safe you can at least tell the motor to shut down.

I wonder if people would bock if I said I put a shooting demonstration on for the school and I shot right over the kids because they got a thrill out of it. I have no doubt that I can shoot just as safe as you can pilot your plane.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Fly-guy

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

It inspires, yes there is a risk but apparently not enough for the teachers to step in
I think that is a very valid point. If the supervising teachers had seen a danger to the children the show would have been stopped. So there must not have appeared to be inherent danger to the kids.

Granted what he did wasn't the smartest thing ever done, but then again far from the most stupid. Its done, no one was harmed and 100 little kids had a day to remember. I'll also add that I belive if a pilot can capably fly 3D they have alot of control over their aircraft. How often do you see a pilot of that skill dumb thumbing in? Im not saying that you have to be a 3Der to be a good pilot either I'm just saying that most 3D pilots can appreciate the limitations and capabilites of their plane better than most.

I say well done who knows he might have just inspired 100 more RC pilots.

I hope to fly at my clubs show in August where the crowd averages 2000. Cant wait.

Fly-guy
Old 04-17-2005, 12:25 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Fly-guy

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

It inspires, yes there is a risk but apparently not enough for the teachers to step in
. I'll also add that I belive if a pilot can capably fly 3D they have alot of control over their aircraft. How often do you see a pilot of that skill dumb thumbing in? Fly-guy

RC aircraft crash daily,hundreds of them,many while flying 3D and other close to the runway tricks.
But yeah this topic is gettin stale,fly safe everyone
Old 04-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

How did you know I crashed today??!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:44 AM
gixxer01

I crashed too...
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, maybe as we get older certain things "scare" us more...That can also be called wisdom thru experience, ya know?!

I think Eddy B. (Not24 ) said it very well...read his post again...

I have an uncle who's a lawyer, and he just shuddered when I told him about this

About the teachers stopping things if they thought it was un-safe? I don't think they know the potential dangers of the situation, it's that simple, because if they did, your demo never would have happened!

Ask your Physics teacher what the kinetic energy is of an object that weighs 10 pounds and is going about 50 M.P.H.
Probably something about like a 12ga. shotgun at point blank range.
Oh, and the "better than bringing a gun to school" comment is just plain stupid! "Good Lord, give ME a break"

I have seen the results of a few accidents in my years of modeling, and what a propeller can do to the human body [X(] and a Saito 1.00 may be under-powered in a Funtana S90 (mine has a Webra 1.20 2 stroke in it ) but it can still do much bodily harm...just remember that ANY radio, even the best of 'em can get interfered with and "glitch"...

I'm glad you have so much enthusiasm for the hobby John, and I'm not trying to bust your you know what's, but perhaps the next time you give a demo flight, you'll have more time to set things up and your results will be even more impressive AND safer...

I am working with a Colonel in the Air Force and we are teaching 25 Junior ROTC Cadets at my old high school. I know what you're feeling bud...I fly in the school gym w/ my foamies, and I put on a demo in the back soccer field with my Funtana .40 (that has a .75 in it ) but all the spectators were seated in the bleachers, and we had the principals (and others ) permission first.

I'm REALLY glad that things turned out o.k. but please, next time, plan things out a bit more?!

To all you younger guys who are still "immortal"...I hope all things go well for you in life...
Old 04-17-2005, 04:52 AM
Angus Balfour

thats awsome, I didnt know that Angus
May the force be with you young felly. Your gonna need it.

Angus
Old 04-17-2005, 12:43 PM
J.R uk

Banche i think you should think about being safety first before trying to inpress your little m8s you was flying way to close you could have wiped them out quiet easy, its all cool flying in front of crowd just make sure you keep your distance ie about 70 foot at least, my dads mate killed a photographer as he was on the runway with a funfight spitfire with a os 25 fp up front, you think what your f90 3 times the size of a funfighter would do to a little kid!!!!!!!!!!! even more so when your 3ding and the plane is fully stalled most of the time,i hope you got good insurance.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Banche

I didnt mean to be mean to anybody and I see how it could of been dangerous. All the kids were seated behind me and I flew in front of myself and would only turn into us when I was coming in for a pass. I am not the best of 3ders but I can hover and have total controle over my plane. I know that if that plane's front hut a kid it would probebly kill them. It would sure kill me too. But the plane was in front of everyone and the kids were all seated and not moving and I have a perfectly built plane, minus the engine. But then again it might have been dangerous.

I think it was safe enough and thats y I did it!

do you have really good pullout with that webra 1.20, is it pumped and can you swing a 17x6 at what rpm. I want a new engine for my funtana and was looking at that one from chief.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think you were mean to anybody John...thanks for letting us "worry warts" give ya a few suggestions.

The Webra will hover it at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and has a good punch out vertically, but to tell ya the truth, I've been thinking of going to a 4 stroke. The 2 stroke is powerful enough, but the 4 stroke has a quicker throttle response and when you throttle back, you don't have to wait for the engine to "wind down", so 4 strokes also have better "brakes".

The one I have is not pumped, and the fuel tank is in the stock location. I think the Webra is a good deal at about 200. and it gets great fuel "mileage" and I can fly it for almost half an hour on the stock tank. I don't use full throttle for anything but pure verticle, and spend most of the time at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle...

I'm still debating wether I want to spend the $$$ on another (4 stroke ) engine

Fly safe and be happy and spread the good word...

Tom
Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Banche

that webra sounds really good to me but I really want to sell my funtana 90 and build that extream flight YAK.

My saito 100 isnt good for the funtana but I know that everyone who had the ys 110 loved it in there funtana and it could swing a 17x6 at like 8000 somthing, I am not sure.

I really like the looks of that engine over the saito even though it is like $300+ I will have to mow quite a few of my neighbors yards and wait for my birthday in June to build the Yak though.

The show time 4d looks cool but not as much as the yak, but we havnt seen much of the showtime so who knows?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Usually I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to safety issues.... But please tell me I misunderstand that you were hovering 12ft away from little kids!!!!! OMG.... I can only hope you exagerrated. Its one thing for an adult to take risks by paritcipating but these kids had no idea what a spinning prop will do to their flesh. As a father I can tell you I definitely would not want some yahoo hovering his plane in front of my son. You can be sure if you would have injured one of those kids regardless of the cause, you would have wished you were dead....cause if the parents didnt shoot you themselves you'd probably have gone to jail.... Do the kids a favor...invite them to the airfield nexttime where they can stand behind a fence or something......

Khlash
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 AM
ghee-grose

Banche, I know you had good intentions and getting kids interested in flight and even R/C flight is definitely a plus. With a few minor changes that you've heard several times already and you would be good to go at any school.

I have a 9-year old son that's super interested in R/C flight, and he tells all the kids at school that he has an Aerobird Challenger and he flies my SlowStick. When he has friends over I always get a plane or two out and show off a bit. Heck, I do the same when I have friends over too!

Keep having fun and showing off.......Just keep it safe. [sm=thumbup.gif]

ghee
Old 04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Banche

thats awsome Iwill try to be a bit safer!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:02 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

my tribute 3d foamie has my blood all over it and its a 370 brushless fast as hell compared to my firebird 2
i say fly over roads so you draw a crowd thats what i do off 101 in encinitas california
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

and rember.... let stupidety and ingernorance get in the way, its a better show
Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Every time someone mentions performing infront of children as a way to get kids interested in flight. Everyone pops up out of the woodwork and starts screaming "OH MY GOD, Thats not safe." Flying in front of a group of kids is just as safe as flying in front of anyone else. Spectators are the same all around. As long as you practice normal safety, flying for kids can not only be safe but enjoyable. Performing for kids is not only a great experience, and lots of fun, but can be a great way to fire up kids towards aviation.

I would encourage each of you to volunteer your time to go introduce model aviation to schools. Check out the AMA's Adopt a School program for more help and information on how to get things cranking.

As far as safety, just follow the AMA's safety guidelines. You all know them...Established flight line, spectator area, and boundaries for both spectators and your aircraft.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Old 04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

fly all the time even on [link=http://californiadetail.tripod.com/3dairplanes]fms simulator free download[/link] sometime people get hurt in sports
Old 04-21-2005, 01:17 AM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

I wish I saw some stuff like that when I was in school!

There are a few types of people out there- and two of em are the worriers, and the doers. I'm more a do-er. Just fly within 'reason', dont be stupid and triple check to make sure everything is charged and maybe even range checked. Then go for it. 15' IS pretty close (at speed anyway), hovering- it gives you more reaction time. Glad the kids loved it. Way cool. Dont trip out about it either- just remember this thread next time you do a demo!

Never really trusted "failsaves" myself either.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Dany boy

I never read such stupid story in 1,000,000 rc universe threads..
I could not beleive my eyes, I had to read a second time !

NOT very smart that idea of flying with such a crowd ........... Imagine you hit a kid eh?

You would go directly to jail, for criminal negligence, nothing less.

AMA dictates rules of conduit that are definitely not followed by too many people and this is very bad,

My best advice for safety for you specifically: Each time you fly just Remember to imagine the worst case scenario, this should help you to evaluate your behavior !

; )

Old 04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Banche

Good heavens, now I am gonna defend myself and we can argue about it.

Read again what I said erlier. I was in total controle the whole time. Flying by in a strait line takes no skill at all and I have skill and that was totaly in my controle and yes I was in and out of 15 feet away from the kids going at full throttle and they loved it and I dont regret it either. hovering 15 feet away isnt dangerous at all. Any one who ever has had a funtana knows that there is no donger in hovering 15 feet in front of al the little kids. If the plane crashed it sure wouldnt hit the kids anyways, they were all seated and were not moving. If they ask me to fly again I will.

I was more worried about almost causeng a wreck on the tollway. you could get in a lawsuit for that. I almost did and I should of not flown so close to the traffic. The highway is like 20 feet in a ditch below the school in front of where I was flying so I didnt know what happened untill the school secratairy came out and said the police were looking for me. Then I put my plane in the car and took off. lol.

Everyone takes risks when flying rc planes and my planes setup and the way I fly it made the benifit outweigh the cost by far! I am gad I did it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Banche

I am gonna go to school now, the worst case scenario is that I die and my parents die in the car ride over there. I go to school anyways!!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
ghee-grose

too funny!!! Now go, or you gonna be late! [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
kiswa
My Feedback: (4)

Okay, I've got to comment on this.

First of all, let me put what I've understood of this 'airshow' into my own words. He was flying at a school, under supervision of teachers, keeping his plane beyond an established flight line, with spectators seated in a designated area, and not flying at the spectators but past them (left to right or whatnot). The only problem I see was that he was visible to passing cars and distracted their drivers.

Under those circumstances, he was covered by the AMA's insurance as he was following all the safety rules required (established flight line, spectator area, not overflying people, etc.). As I understand it, the only thing the AMA may not have covered is if there had been a car accident because of this. If something had happened with one of the kids being a moron and running out into the flying area, AMA would have covered it (beyond whatever homeowner's insurance his parents have, because the AMA insurance is supplemental to homeowner's insurance).

As far as I see, the one and only thing he didn't think through and take care of, was the passing traffic nearby. And all that would have resulted in was possibly disturbing the peace (and/or causing a traffic hazard had there been an accident). So he'd pay a fine, whoopdedoo. And now he knows better for the future, good.

I would not have had a problem with my child (if I had one that age) being in the class of children watching him perform (I probably would have taken the morning off work to be there myself even) because my child would not be a moron and run out to hug the loud flying thing.

I don't see any problem with this beyond the traffic issue. Everyone needs to calm down and think about what's been posted before writing heated replies about the idiocy of a post. And yeah, he could use some spelling practice, but I've seen a lot of older people (here and elsewhere) who have bad grammar and spelling too, so lay off on that as well.

There, I feel better now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.