Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

EF 68" Yak or H9 Funtana

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!
View Poll Results: A poll
Extreme Flight 68" Yak
71.43%
H9 Funtana 90
28.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

EF 68" Yak or H9 Funtana

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Kyle300S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EF 68" Yak or H9 Funtana

Without a doubt, the YAK is better on its side.. But good rudder is not what makes a plane entirly fun to fly IMO. I just would not choose a plane over another simply because it has more rudder.

I also like flying heavy planes... I like the way they 3d better. so again the funtana fits my style. but that is just me...

Don't get me wrong though. The Yak is a great plane.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Kyle300S

Without a doubt, the YAK is better on its side.. But good rudder is not what makes a plane entirly fun to fly IMO.

I also like flying heavy planes... I like the way they 3d better. so again the funtana fits my style. but that is just me...

The problem with the weight of the F90 is that it takes more to power it, not that it does not fly right. With a 110 8.5 out of a hover is nicer than 9.5 pounds.

If the Yak is better on its side, where is the F90 better than the Yak? Other than looks in your opinion?

I am having a lot of fun with my F90...just is no yak thats all....it is better than I thought it would be though. They are not in the same league.

Although you would be a better judge than me...
Old 04-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Kyle300S

I may not be a better judge at it.. if you have both and fly them both then you, for sure, can say more than i can. I only flew one once. It was not mine, so I was way up high and did not 3d it too hard. just checked out how it responds..

but i did notice that the Funtana is more stable in a harrier, and I just think the overall feel of the plane is better with a Funtana. There is just something about the yak that feels funny to me. but i'm sure, with more time on one, i could get use to that feeling....
Old 04-21-2005, 09:48 PM
STG

I may not be a better judge at it.. if you have both and fly them both then you, for sure, can say more than i can. I only flew one once. It was not mine, so I was way up high and did not 3d it too hard. just checked out how it responds..
My flying skills are not half of yours....and I am sure you have a much better feel for things than I do...Doesn't matter what plane I am harriering I usually have the the wings a rock'n some.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:07 PM
PlagueWielder

Damn, now I can't decide!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:50 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Its a simple solution, get both. Fly the yak first then you will probobly sell the funtana.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 AM
PlagueWielder

If I had the money I would just get the 50cc Yak
Old 04-22-2005, 04:08 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Any idea when the EF Yak will be back in stock? That will help me with my decision. Also, did I read correctly that the EF airframe weighs about a pound less than the F90? I'm starting to lean towards the EF Yak for my YS 110.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:38 AM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Well I am not sure when the YAK will be back in stock but I will give you these facts. My YAK weighs 8pounds 5 ounces (no fuel) and that is with a Saito 150. There are two Funtannas in my club and both weighed slightly over 10 pounds and both were put together by guys who have been building for years and build as light as possible! One of the Funtanna's has a Saito 100 on it! Anyway I think Chris said it would be early summer on his next shipment don't quote me on that but I am gonna get a backup!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:37 AM
STG

but i did notice that the Funtana is more stable in a harrier, and I just think the overall feel of the plane is better with a Funtana. but i'm sure, with more time on one, i could get use to that feeling....
I take it back, you are not a better Judge. If you mounted a YS to a brick I bet after you flew with it for a while you would like the way it 3D's.

"There is just something about the yak that feels funny to me."--- It feels funny to you because you are wired to correct for all those bad habits the F90 has. You are right, with time you would learn to overcome it.

Have fun this weekend at the Big Bird Fly--hope the weather holds out for you.

[sm=lol.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Kyle300S

HAHA, Funny.... Maybe you are right..

My funtana is 9lb 5oz with a YS 120.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
harrymcwilliams

Hands down without question the Extreme Flight YAK is the much better choice!!!
I'm in line for one when they arrive I hope this summer, but however long it takes, I WILL wait!
I've met Chris Hinson, I've seen how he fusses over the quality of his products and takes care of his customers.
I have buddies that fly this plane and all of them wouldn't have anything else (unless it's an Extreme Flight product!).
Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 PM
PlagueWielder

I have no problem getting the Yak, I dont need to wait as long as you guys need to since a shop here in Israel is getting them soon.

But the thing that is stuck in my mind is that $100 or so difference in price between the two and if the Yak is worth it.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 05:34 AM
EXTRA ADDICT

In my opinion it is. It comes down to what you want as a pilot if you want a nice balance between 3D and precision get the Yak plus the constuction is second to none! Don't get me wrong the Funtanna is an awsome plane in the right set of thumbs (Kyle) but it is not very forgiving at least that is my experience with it.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: PlagueWielder
I have no problem getting the Yak, I dont need to wait as long as you guys need to since a shop here in Israel is getting them soon.

But the thing that is stuck in my mind is that $100 or so difference in price between the two and if the Yak is worth it.
Thanks
I hate the sayings "you get what you pay for" and that is a "no brainer" because a lot of the time it is not true. If you understand marketing you know what I mean.

In this case though you do "get what you pay for" and it is a "no brainer"

There just simply is nothing else out there right now that can compare with the Yak....truly is far a head of anything else in this size of a bird.

That being said, I have a lot of fun with my F90 also...but there is no comparison.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
J.R uk

If your after a out an out 3d plane the f90 is very stable and forgiving plane and flys like a p u s s y cat, the self corecting wing corrects its self wingrocking in a parchute to stop one wing droping and ending up in a spin very handey is a good stable platform to learn high a flight hover harr ect, mine knife edges very well with the cg slightly further back useing the elevator in the knife edge you can easyly turn left or right and up and down with the rudder with good control.

Ive been useing new fuel in my ys 20 oil 20 orange juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88949.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	262948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69662.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	262949  
Old 04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
T Erickson

I don't recall any threads regarding Yak "problems", do you? T.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
PlagueWielder

Thats true and that is exactly why Im leaning towards the Yak. I remember the problems many people had with their Funtana's exploding in the air and in no way do I want to spend $500+ on a plane that will explode or a plane that I need to fix before I even fly.
Add to that the fact that it can do pattern better than the Funtana and still be able to 3D excellently with the same cg (according to the people here anyway).

I think I will get the yak in the end. Ill call the shop tomorrow and see when they are getting them.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

I don't think you will be disappointed the Yak is to my knowledge (which is limited) is the best bang for the buck right now.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:48 AM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

I just picked up a NIB Yak 40 miles from me from a gentleman answering my WTB add here on RCU (thanks Roger) for my girlfriend. When I say NIB, it was still in the box EF sent it in. We had to open it so Roger could get his reciept out of it. I think this plane was packed the best I have ever seen a ARF packed so far. Quality looks top notch. Chris put alot of Du Bro parts in his kits and says to get rid of the suppliers parts( mostly). I do not like the way the supplied hinges look though so I will change those myself.