Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

DA 50 looking for alternative to GP Wagstaff Extra

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

DA 50 looking for alternative to GP Wagstaff Extra

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:00 PM
HardDeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 looking for alternative to GP Wagstaff Extra

Hello all

I have had !QUOT!mishap!QUOT! with my GP Patty Wagstaff Extra, and I am looking now to do something different with DA 50 power-plant - staying with 3D capabilities and aerobatics. Thinking about EF Yak54 87 inch or QQ Somenzini Yak 57 - 85 inch. Looking for comments particularly re Somenzini option as I gather the plane is really not yet available. Also thoughts on other options. Replacement need to fly at least as good as Gp Wagstaff.

THanks
Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: DA 50 looking for alternative to GP Wagstaff Extra

You are definitely on the right track...unfortunately both of those planes are not available right now. If you are not the brand-faithful type and are in a hurry to get a plane, then go with TOC's Yak. I hear it flies well and is built well. I will never own one, though, as my loyalty is to EF when it comes to the Yak. You make also want to look to wildhare or aerotech if you are considering an Extra...I wouldn't go with the H9 260 for that engine - it would be a lateral step, not a step up, IMO...too heavy.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 PM
HardDeck

Hi Bodyworks
Thanks for your comments. I will look into the TOC yak. Don't really know anything about this option. I agree with you re H9 260 -- mayge not quite enough airplane (eg wing loading) to support my DA 50.

Thanks
RJM
Old 06-21-2005, 06:36 AM
bodywerks

Other people are doing it and like it, but I think the H9 260 is an insult to the DA. There is video out there with the TOC Yak if you want to look, I know it will be an awesome flier, but I knw what Chris had to go through to get his Yak on the market to begin with (not to mention the production quantity he is dealing with now), and I feel he deserves my loyalty. He is also a straight forward guy that stands behind his product. If you are not in a hurry, I highly recommend his Yak. But the TOC is literally the same design, just different structure and about a half pound heavier. It still flies very light, though, and I hear there service is not below par...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Triton 3D
My Feedback: (1)

Well i dont think thers any insult to the DA, i have a H9 260 whit a DA 50 and it flys EXCELENT, hover at less than 1/2 throttle and lands like a trainer,NO BAD HABBITS!!! i love this plane!!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Triton 3D
My Feedback: (1)

Heres my Baby!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25231.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	288001  
Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: HardDeck

Hello all

I have had !QUOT!mishap!QUOT! with my GP Patty Wagstaff Extra, and I am looking now to do something different with DA 50 power-plant - staying with 3D capabilities and aerobatics. Thinking about EF Yak54 87 inch or QQ Somenzini Yak 57 - 85 inch. Looking for comments particularly re Somenzini option as I gather the plane is really not yet available. Also thoughts on other options. Replacement need to fly at least as good as Gp Wagstaff.

THanks
Take a look at the World Models Extra. I have the WM Patty Wagstaff with 80" wingspan. Engine is G-62 w/C&H Ignition. Weight is 15.5 pounds.

How does it fly?

AWESOME!!!!!

Email or PM me if you want any specific details about my setup.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Check out [link=http://www.bmeaircraft.com]BME Aircraft[/link]

They have a Yak coming as well as a new lighter Edge.

I have the EF Yak and it's awesome... but the downside is when they will be avaiable... same with the QQ Yak...

The BME Yak and Edge II will be in around the end of July.

The benefit of the BME over the TOC1 is that the BME comes with CF items... wing/stab tubes/tailwheel etc... Should come in very light like the EF Yak.

They are attractively priced, and a $50 off for preorders makes it even better.

They are covered in UltraCote and there are a few available in ARC form for $40 less...

You might call EF to see where they are on stock and waiting list... as I said earlier... I love mine...

ORIGINAL: HardDeck

Hello all

THanks
Old 06-23-2005, 02:25 AM
excelpoint

Slap a KS tuned pipe on it and stick it in a Comp Arf 2.3.You will never look back.JMO
Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

BME Edge and Yak for sure.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Mark Dennis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aero-Works has a new Edge 540, Extra 260 and a yak coming out at the end of summer I've flown the edge and it flys really good. Hope to fly the yak soon it just came in this week.

Mark
Old 06-26-2005, 01:31 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Take a look at the Pacific Aero 27% Edge. It is supposed to be outstanding. Jim Oddino reviewed it in RCM a few months back, and he used it to replace his Patty Extra. His plane came out around 14.25# with the DA50R on it. Here is the review [link=http://www.pacaeromodel.com/Review/27Edge/RCM.htm]CLICK HERE[/link] .

The BME looks like a nice value too, as are the World Model kits. Also check out the Wild Hare kits, they have a couple of Extras, an Edge, and an Ultimate in this size range. Kangke has the Texas Hurricane and a Cap that would work.

Of course, the Yak is the newest/greatest thing going...
Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Boricua 007

check out also http://www.aerotech-rcmodels.com/ Velox and the Yak they both look cool
and http://www.planesplus.com/Products/Aerobatic/extra.htm Extra also a nice plane
Old 06-26-2005, 01:03 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: excelpoint

Slap a KS tuned pipe on it and stick it in a Comp Arf 2.3.You will never look back.JMO
The fact that it is composite and looks cool is nice, but its price, the fact that it weighs 19-20 pounds, requires a pipe to get the right performance (which still aint ballistic), and it only has around 1500 squares (which means a 33 ounce wing loading), makes it a not so attractive option.
I watched Mark Lezaberg fly one at the Cirkus fly-in. It hovered at 3/4 throttle and had OK pull out, and it did do most of the 3D stuff, but it did it at 120MPH. The plane can't do slow, high alfa knife edge the way a 15 pound EF Yak can, and flatspins are fast-falling with the Compy, verses nearly hovering with the 15 pound Yak.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:44 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

Take a look at the flying cirkus theres quite a bit of info on the TOC yak's there. heard nothing but positive comments about them. thinking of getting a 35% myself

and as far as being the same as a EF yak most scale planes are similar.