Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Showtime

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Showtime

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Super D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Showtime

Nice your wife must be proud!!! LOL I'm considering doing the the same, post your pics please.

I just havent decided wether to go with the evo or the saito 125. I had a saito 100 and it wasnt enough, for extreme 3-D. I now have a YS 120 but it mostly worn out, but does ok. I think the evo 26 would be great I just dread the break-in, and the ~$200 over a saito 125.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

What's the AUW people have been getting with the gasser ST?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:22 PM
cstevec

ORIGINAL: Super D

Nice your wife must be proud!!! LOL I'm considering doing the the same, post your pics please.

I just havent decided wether to go with the evo or the saito 125. I had a saito 100 and it wasnt enough, for extreme 3-D. I now have a YS 120 but it mostly worn out, but does ok. I think the evo 26 would be great I just dread the break-in, and the ~$200 over a saito 125.
I don't understand. What break-in? Gas engine do not require a break-in. They are flip & fly. (well, maybe a little carb adjusting) Would you break in your Weedeater before you use it? Or your leaf blower? Most engine manufacturers specifically tell you not to break in the engine as it causes them to overheat, sticking rings, gummed up spark plugs & any number of other problems.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:58 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

My DA has a breakin period. DA suggest using a ashless oil on breakin and then switching to synthetic....now if you are talking about bench running, they suggest that you don't.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Super D

My DA 50 also requires breakin, 4 gallons of non-sythetic. I understand your point Csteve, and I somewhat agree.

Here's a good article on breaking in 4 stroke gas engines.

[link=http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm]break in site[/link]

I break in all my glow engines as OS suggests, WFO and sloppy rich.

Ultimately I think it depends on the machine work done to the engine, tight tolerances little breakin(.001), not as tight tolerances more breakin.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:53 PM
drumbum

Hell i dont break in my glow motors. but then again i only fly YS. by the time you peak one out enough to get it off the ground its time to refuel. so i guess i do 1 tank break in.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:08 AM
cstevec

Not so long ago, most people flew glow motors & most glow motors required break-in. In fact a lot of 'em still do. Depending on the type of motor that may mean running it sloppy rich for 3 or 4 tanks of fuel, running it at high rpm for ever how many minutes followed by a specific cool down method, and so on, depending on the brand/type of motor. Modern 2 stroke gassers on the other hand do not really require a break-in. However, as some of you stated, the manufacturer may tell you to run a few gallons of dinosaur oil in your fuel rather then synthetic to seat the rings. I suppose you could call this breaking in the motor. Every one of them though will tell you not to bench run the engine for any period of time, nor do they want you to run it rich for ever how many tanks. They do want you to bolt a decent prop on it & fly it & most of them will tell you not to start off the engines life by doing heavy 3D. For the 1st few runs they usually want a lot of throttle variation during the flight followed by a cool-down period between flights.

The guy at DA said more engines have come in for service due to being burnt up on the Break-in stand then from any other reason. Many of these modern airplane engines will burn up if not properly cowled and under a load such as hauling around your favorite airplane.

My comment was intended to inform not to mean that anyone should just bolt it on & fly the crap outta it. A lot of the guys that are expirementing with these little gas engines are just getting started in bigger planes & evidently think they need to be treated like a Moki 2.10 or a jet .35. I would hate to see someone get one of these little works of art & then burn it up on the bench without ever seeing the real advantages of gas engines.

By the way Drumbum, I do pretty much the same with my Saitos.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Super D

Sorry were off topic, but a lot of us are here to learn and see different opinions.

I have never owned an evolution anything, and not trying to start a huge debate.
Is there no break-in on the 26 gas evo? Thanks SD.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:43 AM
AirWizard

The only thing the manual says is "during break in use a 30 to 1 ratio of gas to oil" I didn't see where it stated how long that period was.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:19 AM
cstevec

I don't believe the MVVS/EVO engines state in the manual how long to run that type of oil in their engines. In most engines acouple of gallons is all that is required. 3W on the other hand recommends 5 gallons of ashless lawnboy or 3W oil before switching to synthetic. Brison states you can run synthetic from the get go & I have ran AMZOIL 80-1 Saber oil in all of my engines from the beginning & never had a problem. The Saber is what you hear people talking about 100:1 but it states on the bottle to mix at 80:1 or 50:1 in racing or other high stress situations, so I play it safe.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:20 AM
ImacPilot
My Feedback: (95)

The Evo 1.6 gasser recommends...30:1 for 1st gallon...then from then on 40:1..and the break in is FLYING the plane...No bench time...Bolt it on run 30:1..after you run out your 1st gallon go to 40:1...and Evolution recommends the use of Synthetic oil....Like Mobil Syn oil...running the Pitts muffler for the Funtana gasser..should be just fine,being a slower type of airspeed plane, and the tuned pipe on the Showtime gasser...well that speaks for itself 200sq in less on the wings this plane should be flown a little quicker...as in a precision pattern or FA3....Just a flip or two and start the little gasser, run it thru the idle up transition to full power back it off some run it up again, if you have good transition thru the power band...its time to chuck that sucker in the air...I bought these 2 planes and putting the little gasser's on them, Because I like the No clean up, and they only get stronger the more they run...and it really is the perfect engine for both the F90 and the ST.....Read Dick Hanson's article in the current 3-D Flyer magazine...he's doing an engine change out on the ShowTime...removing the Saito 100 that was on it for the original review of the plane...Now the article shows the install of a Evolution 26GT 1.6 gasser on a tuned pipe....Before anyone rips into this set up Read Hanson's article in the current 3-D Flyer Mag....This writer is 1st and formost a Builder and Pilot...He knows what we go thru because he is one of us...and Writes his articles to reflect that.....See ya,..Tim
Old 01-23-2006, 06:41 AM
cstevec

OK, only problem, if you can call it that, is that little engine just sips fuel so it will literally take all season to run a gallon through it & that is a season of aggressive flying!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 AM
newshoundaussie

Anybody epoxy the stab on instead of the 2 retaining bolts?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. But be sure to check the stab incidence before you do it. I didn't, and that may be the source of my excessive aileron trim. I devoutly hope one of the wings is "off"; that will be a relatively easy fix. But if I glued those stabs in with skewed incidence, I'm hosed...

I'll find out tonight; finally got some time to work on it.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
BoneDoc

So back to my question again, how much does the gasser ST weigh? I'm getting sick of my Saito 150.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 PM
AirWizard

Josh

You still flying the ST........I thought you were flying the Lanier?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
LSP972

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news... and bad.

The left wing had one degree positive incidence. The right wing had one degree negative incidence. No wonder I had to dial in so much trim...[&o]

Well, at least the stabs are true. Now, to true up the wings.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:56 AM
kzimmerman

Bonedoc,
whats wrong with your saito 1.50? Thats what I bought for this plane, but don't have it finished yet, am waiting on servos. Are u having engine problems, or the combination airframe and engine?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Super D

Well I went a head and ordered the Evo 26, and tuned pipe for my showtime. My Ys 120 is mostly done, bearings going and low compression. Mr Hanson really liked this engine on his showtime, and now on a Funtana. It took me a while to decide since this engine/pipe is almost the price of a DA 50. To me the showtime is worthy of this engine so I'll post my pics and setup when I get it.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:28 AM
BoneDoc

it's an older saito, and it kicks pretty bad.

I'm also comparing it to my e-powered Fliton Extra. It's so much more convenient with e-power. So I was thinking of selling this one, and going either electric / gas.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
DLEVETT

l
Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 PM
oliflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Hi,

My Showtime has a strange behavior when I apply a certain amount of elevator that I haven't been able to fix yet. I searched the forum I found this strange "glitch" during take off but this is not what I have experienced so far, the cause may be the same though!

My problem occurs when I use high or medium elevator throws, I setup low, medium and high instead of just low and high to try to isolate the pb. but with no success. So when I pull in a large loop the plane rolls to the right, and when I pull harder the right wing rocks and it sort of tip stall to the right, which definitely scared me on the first flights. I initially thought that my elevator halves when not in perfect synch but I checked and re-checked and ... But nothing has changed! I have even tried to lower the throw of the right elevator, but the problem remains.

I also thought that this could come from my side mounted OS 1.60FX, but after adding some weight to the left wing the plane was laterally balanced.

I am sure this plane is great but I haven't been able to enjoy it yet due to this funny/scary behavior (not that funny in fact) and I am running out of options; so if you guys have any suggestions, there are welcome.

Thanks for your help.
Chris.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Rocketman_

Good grief! Not again!!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:29 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: oliflyer

Hi,

My Showtime has a strange behavior when I apply a certain amount of elevator that I haven't been able to fix yet. I searched the forum I found this strange "glitch" during take off but this is not what I have experienced so far, the cause may be the same though!

My problem occurs when I use high or medium elevator throws, I setup low, medium and high instead of just low and high to try to isolate the pb. but with no success. So when I pull in a large loop the plane rolls to the right, and when I pull harder the right wing rocks and it sort of tip stall to the right, which definitely scared me on the first flights. I initially thought that my elevator halves when not in perfect synch but I checked and re-checked and ... But nothing has changed! I have even tried to lower the throw of the right elevator, but the problem remains.

I also thought that this could come from my side mounted OS 1.60FX, but after adding some weight to the left wing the plane was laterally balanced.

I am sure this plane is great but I haven't been able to enjoy it yet due to this funny/scary behavior (not that funny in fact) and I am running out of options; so if you guys have any suggestions, there are welcome.

Thanks for your help.
Chris.
check incedence.. but FIRST take something like a small clamp and clamp the aileron to the traling edge where it meets near the fuse so the aileron matches the trailing edge. This is done with the wing off.. after its clamped look down each aileron as if looking down a pool cue.. Mine were twisted bad throwing my incedence readings off. Just a little fore warning. I scrathed my head for a while before i figured it out. also check stab incidence.. do it on root and tip of wings and stab.this will tell you if wing is twisted. hope this helps..
Old 02-26-2006, 12:46 AM
rcflip

Might have something to do with the 160 bolted up front...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.