Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

WildHare Edge 540T 120

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

WildHare Edge 540T 120

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Nickolas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WildHare Edge 540T 120

Hi,

Has anyone flown this model? Your comments will be appreciated. Please give some details of your setup.

Thanks and regards,

Nick
Old 06-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: WildHare Edge 540T 120

Another place that you may get more responses is www.Flyingcirkus.com
Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Bob101

Check in the wildhare section under giant scale. I had one... look at the thread in there.

I had problems with mine. Tom posted in that thread for anyone else that had problems to send him an e-mail and apparently no one did. I'm not sure why. I got PM's here on RCU with pictures included with the same problems I had. Maybe by the time Tom asked they were no longer flying theirs - like me - and had quit reading the thread.

Here's the thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2716958/tm.htm

I do know that the first one I received (destroyed in shipping) was not the same as the second one I received for whatever reason.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Nickolas

So how was the second one?
Old 06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Bob101

It's in that thread I linked above toward the end. Don't want to really re-hash it here because I don't want to slam Tom or Wildhare - but the plane I received was not up to par - far from it. I've seen other Widhares and the quality on the little edge just wasn't there like the bigger ones.

I retired it after maybe 15 flights or so. Basically it came apart from lack of glue after I fixed many of the problems I encountered building it.

If you get one be very careful with it. If you look at it compared to the bigger edges they shrunk the design down almost exactly - except for one area that I think is a flaw. The motor box is built strong (if you glue it..) and the rear of the plane is built strong. But - the only thing tying the 2 halves of the plane together are the formers on the side of the fuselage which are maybe 3-4" wide - allowing for the front end/motor box to really twist. Since the gear is bolted to the front structure I think if you ever bounced it or harrier land it you would be in trouble.

As it was after 15 or so flights mine twisted really bad. When I built mine I checked all my incidences and angles. After I retired it I went back and looked. Checking the hatch lines after 15 flights there was a 4 degree twist that wasn't there at building time. When new you can grab the plane behind the wing tube and grab the spinner/landing gear and twist that front part pretty easily by hand because there's no x-bracing or anything tieing it to the wing tube/back of the plane - just those 2 3" wide fuselage sides. While the 28% edge has the outside sides of the fuselage PLUS the stringers that come back from the inside of the motor box - making a double truss like design that resist the twisting motion.

I suggest you read that thread. I know I'm not the only one because like I said 2 others and I passed private messages back and forth during our building - some of which included pictures of similar experiences.

Hopefully as they were "prototypes" the new ones will have these problems fixed - the main one being lack of glue. I disloged the firewall while drilling the motor mount even tho it was tabbed - apparently only the tabs held it in.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Nickolas

Thanks for the reply. The new ones are due to July aren't they? I dont't think the dealer in the UK will have the new ones, but I don't know I have to ask, according to the web site these models have just come.

Well I'm in deep thoughts now, I will have to look for alternatives I don't really want a plane like that to fall apart. My alternatives now are Chip Hyde's CAP-X and Dave Patrick's Extra 300. A dealer in Greece has the Hangar 9 Edge 120 but I think this comes a bit heavy. What is your opinion?

Thanks and regards,

Nick