Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

IMAC & 3D w/ .46 FX??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

IMAC & 3D w/ .46 FX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:16 PM
S.S.Shmavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC & 3D w/ .46 FX??

After attending a day of the 05 IMAC nationals in Muncie, IN I want a cost-efficient way to get started in IMAC "competition". I have a lightly used O.S. .46 FX sitting in my trainer along with 4 servos (I'm willing to buy a 5th). Could anyone tell me if there are any good planes that fit into this size category that will also freestyle 3D? I know the size might be an issue, but I'm not out to take home any trophies...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: IMAC & 3D w/ .46 FX??

A hanger 9 funtana would be a good choice for that engine. You could use a APC 12.25x3.75 prop to get decent vertical perfomance for hovering. Everything from your trainer would go right into it. This plane will do all of the IMAC manuevers and be a decent 3d'er. The best part about this plane is that it flies alot bigger than it really is.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:40 AM
S.S.Shmavis

Thanks! I've seen somewhere that the main wings have a constant thickness for the length of the wing. It was debated whether or not this attribute would be beneficial. I think someone argued that this would increase the plane's tendency to tip-stall. What's the real deal? Have you flown this one yourself?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 AM
CJKling
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Funtana .40 but with a saito .82, the thick wing, IMO, helps to keep the plane's speed down (as it is not designed for speed), and I have not tip-stalled mine yet after a few months of flying. The plane is fully capable of 3D, but the pilot really has to know what they're doing. See this thread.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#3147930

Should help you out a little..
Old 07-08-2005, 09:39 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

The Funtana should be a good plane to learn the basics, and that engine will fly it well. People have good luck with the APC 12x3.75. Remember the plane doesn't need to have "eplosive vertical acceleration from a hover" type of power to fly IMAC. Consistent speed (up and down), clean breaks, and straight lines are more important.

**EDIT**
Old 07-08-2005, 09:57 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Fliton Extra 330. It would come in about the same weight as the F40.(6 pounds) It is more precise(IMAC) than the F40 and is better on KE. A good running 46FX with a tower muffler and a 12 x4 prop is still a bit marginal for 3D on a 6 pound plane, but it will IMAC fine. The other plane to consider is the Power Line 540 40 size.