Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3W / BME / ZDZ / DA-->50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3W / BME / ZDZ / DA-->50

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Banche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W / BME / ZDZ / DA-->50

PLANE AND SIMPLE. I AM THINKING OF RETURNING MY EVOLUTION 58 ENGINE AND GETTING ONE OF THESE ENGINES FOR MY 30% YAK.

I DONT CARE ABOUT COST, THOUGH I KNOW THEY ARE ALL THE SAME, ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHICH ONE CAN SWING THE BIGGEST PROP THE FASTEST!!

DONT CARE IF SAY THE ZDZ WEIGHS 2 MORE OUNCES THAN THE DA, WHICH ONE IS THE MOST POWERFUL, TELL ME AND I WILL BUY IT!!!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 3W / BME / ZDZ / DA-->50

Having first hand experience with 3 of the engines, DA, ZDZ50NG and BME 50. I would not by another ZDZ50NG. If I chose a DA50 I would only buy a NEW one from DA so I would be getting the latest mods. The BME is more powerful than the ZDZ50 with stock mufflers. The DA is probably a little more powerful than the BME but as I recall it costs about 100.00 more with muffler.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Without starting a ford vs chevy vs dodge vs toyota war, which I am sure this will, BUT...

I have personally set up and run just about every 50cc class engine made. I used to purposely stay away from the DA50 because I did not want to fall for the hype. Yes it is a good engine, but so are the others. Well, I was an idiot. The DA50 is the strongest, best running, lightest "set it and forget it" engine you will ever run. It truly is THAT good. The 3W 50 is the only other engine that comes close as far as power and reliability, in fact the 3W may have the reliability edge as far as lasting longer between major overhauls (bigger and more bearings), but the DA weighs a lot less so it wins for that class. 50cc planes can become heavy pigs in a hurry so a lighter engine sets you up for success.

The DA is not overrated. The minute I put my first one in the air I was sold. I have not needed it, but it also helps to know that the DA-50 is backed by the best service policy in the industry. I fly DA singles and 3W twins.

So, in order of preference:

DA-50
Brison 2.4
3W-50
BME-50
ZDZ-50

There are other engines as well like Fox, FPE, etc.. they are not bad, but they are not DA.
I rated the Brison second because it makes almost as much power as the DA, runs very well, and is $150 less!!

Bottom line, it all comes down to personal preference. DA costs the most, but I feel you get the most, so keep that in mind as everyone shoots me down for recommending the DA!!

DP

Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

**Deleted - duplicate post**
Old 07-08-2005, 06:34 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Ive had a bme 50 here for a year and have never put it on anything yet[&o]
Old 07-08-2005, 08:02 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

BME
3W
DA

Above in no specific order.

Pick one of the above by whatever method you choose and you won't make a bad choice. All are powerful. I'm running a BME-50 on a pig of an airframe and it just jerks it off the ground. I have run 3W's for competetion but haven't had anything in the 50cc or so class since selling my 60cc a few years ago. Last I heard it is still flying. Have a DA on order for another plane.

Interesting comment on the Brison listed above. I'm helping a freind that is installing a 90cc Brison in a 33% CAP. Brison highly recommends a Hyde soft mount (really a good product) however adds considerably to the cost and weight. By thei time he gets done with the 90 single and soft mount it will be really close to the cost of a nice twin. I don't personally like the mechanical spark advanve they use as I had problems with one on another brand of engine a few years back (just wouldn't stay in adjustment or broke linkage parts).

EXCAP232