Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

funtana 40 or fliton extra????

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

funtana 40 or fliton extra????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:29 AM
tiktock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funtana 40 or fliton extra????

hi,

i am currently traveling in london and thinking of buying a plane. i've got a saito 91 needing a home.
i was about to go buy a funtana 40 until i saw the post on the fliton extra. the problem is that the fliton is not available in london or the UK.
i would have to order it from Germany. the question is whether the extra is that much better than the funtana? is there any other plane that i should consider? please suggest planes that are available in the UK.

thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 09:31 AM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: funtana 40 or fliton extra????

I think it would be much better. I owned the Funtana 40 and can honestly say I like the extra much better, it flys bigger and smoother, and with your 91 up front, you shouldnt have a problem 3D'ing it
Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Filton has got to fly better than the Funtana 40. The Funtana flies like ***** on its side. That is a fact.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Dyehard

I can't comment on the Fliton but I can on the Funtana 40. I won't go as far a JoeAirPort, but I will say that it has it's pecularities. In extreme high rates it feels like it is constantly on the edge of snapping and will if you move the elevator suddenly. Even in rates low enough to make it fly like a sport plane it will snap if you try to do a loop too tight. The wing rocks constantly in a harrier, I could never get it to stop no matter what I tried, and the ailerons hardly have any effectiveness in high alpha flight. In a hover they are the same way, hardly controlling roll at all. It fairly easy to see and walls and blenders are easy to do with it. I have just conpleted a Harrier 3D .46 and every bad point the Funtana has is corrected with it. Even in high rates it flys like it's on rails, you can loop in high rates as big or as small as you want without the wing snapping, something I couldn't do with the Funtana in low rates. The Harrier has great aileron responsiveness in a harrier or hover. With individual elevator servos, I'm able to program in ailievators, which inproves the roll responsive in high alpha even more. Blenders are as good as with the Funtana, tic tocs are much better. The only drawback to the Harrier it that it can be a little hard to see with the tranparent covering that is the same on top an bottom. I'm sure for younger eyes it would be less of a problem.
You can have fun with the F40 if you don't mind it constantly feeling like it is on the edge of doing something you don't want it to do. I know I've had fun with mine for the last year, but there are certainly better flying 3D planes out there, the Harrier .46 proves it. As far as I know, from reading other posts, the Harrier is available in England. It wouln't hurt to a least consider one.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Dyehard

Sorry, double post.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:05 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

The Fliton is KE Loop capable and the F40 is barley KE capable.

BTW, Fliton recommends a .70 to .91 4 stroke in the Extra 330 Freestyle. That is right, they are actually recommending a .91 on a 6.25 pound plane![X(]

Old 07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
lazyboyflyer

My son has the Fliton 330 extra, a friend flys the funtana 40. Get the Fliton 330 extra!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:48 PM
lazyboyflyer

My son has the Fliton 330 extra, a friend flys the funtana 40. Get the Fliton 330 extra!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:58 PM
tiktock

i thought the advertised weight is a bout 5.5 lb? how come there are turning out to be 6.25lb?
91 on 6.25lb plane[:@]
Old 07-12-2005, 06:05 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

vote me for the Extra!!! i tried to tell people A LONG time ago about it compared to the funtana and i got mobbed buy the funtana army now i see people are seeing the light.. Thanks to Extra Addict. he was the first one on this threads in US that had one.. he got it because he heard form Zak wests reports on how good it flew.. Im skeptical sometimes too but i think between me and ADDICT we have bought every new plane we heard 3ded well in the past year.. that is the only way you can really tell about a plane is buy it.. and i assure you this plane will not be a dissapointment
Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 PM
JoeAirPort

The F40 is outdated, it was cool when it first came out. The new stuff flies way better.

I got this Powerline Edge 540 and gutted my F40. The Edge does knife edges like a monster, it's great. I can do those swooping high alpha knife edges at full rudder with only throttle controlling the altitude. Now that says something for a scale looking 40 sized plane...that cost only $150.

The gutted F40 is sitting on my ping pong table in the basement waiting for the next swap meet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60925.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	296646  
Old 07-12-2005, 10:04 PM
drumbum

sweet looking plane..
Old 07-12-2005, 10:57 PM
JoeAirPort

Thanks, I have some nice graphics on it now but I don't have updated pictures.

ORIGINAL: drumbum

sweet looking plane..
Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

sweet looking plane..
i have tried to find their site. where is it?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 AM
tIANci

I have flown the F40, F90 and Fliton Extra 330 ... with that power plant then you have to go with the Extra 330, the F40 will not give you as much fun, trust me. Its boring to fly 3D only but the thrill of freestye aerobatic is what I have found to be really good fun now. The Extra will not be as snappy as the F40 and is easy enough to land and fly. With a Saito 82 the Extra is good fun with the Saito 100 its totally nuts (in the good way), I think your 91 will be perfect, you are talking almost unlimited vertical. It might be slightly nose heavy though, move the RX battery as far back as possible.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:07 AM
JoeAirPort

This is the guy that sells them for the best price. He's good to deal with too. I got my graphics from him for $7 shipped.

http://jaghobbies.com/rc_cars/edge_46.htm

sweet looking plane..
Old 07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I have flown the F40, F90 and Fliton Extra 330 ... with that power plant then you have to go with the Extra 330, the F40 will not give you as much fun, trust me. Its boring to fly 3D only but the thrill of freestye aerobatic is what I have found to be really good fun now. The Extra will not be as snappy as the F40 and is easy enough to land and fly. With a Saito 82 the Extra is good fun with the Saito 100 its totally nuts (in the good way), I think your 91 will be perfect, you are talking almost unlimited vertical. It might be slightly nose heavy though, move the RX battery as far back as possible.
Tanic, where is this balance point that you like from the front edge or the wing tube? How is 4.9"s or .4 in back of the wing tube?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
drumbum

This is the guy that sells them for the best price. He's good to deal with too. I got my graphics from him for $7 shipped.

http://jaghobbies.com/rc_cars/edge_46.htm

sweet looking plane..
Thanks!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:34 PM
tiktock

is the powerline edge available in the UK? still waiting for a reply from Germany regarding the fliton extra