Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

mainefler, I don't do alot of 3d (yet...) flat spins, blenders and insane verticle climbs are my thing and I'm starting on rolling circles. However I have a buddy with this bip and a da50/xoar 23-8. He uses 5985 all round on 4.8v. no wing joiner mods or any other mods... He uses the stock horns too. He flies the pants off his. I personally watched him do a loooong blender ending in a flat spin that was so tight and so fast I though the plane would rip apart. Seriously... no joke or exageration. He says he does it all the time and has had the plane for 3 season. I was astonished to see him using a 23-8 prop with the stock gear and no mods to stiffen them.

Its all a matter of personal preferance I guess. I'm personally not comfortable with the stock horns but they have been working fine for me.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
Thanks for the info. I wasn't so much concerned with the strength of the horns but rather with the need to put the bolts through the ailerons and use the included backers with nuts. I did a quick look at the pictures in this forum and can't find any pics with the backs on so I am assuming everyone is using the stock set up with the screws and some thin CA part way into the ailerons.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 AM
twn

Another friend of mine has this bipe and I noticed that he put the backs on with machine bolts/nuts right through the surfaces. You do ask a good question cause all of my other planes have backs with thru screws/bolts. Ya it makes me wonder just how strong the plywood plates are that they are screwed into. If the plywood plate ever let loose it would be bad...

My aeroworks extra 260 has metal horns with thru bolts and they are STRONG.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
kwhite.6

Could someone tell me what size and length bolts they used to install a DL50. I just order one today and I'm placing another order tomorrow for some more stuff and I know I need longer bolts.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

kwhite.6

I believe the bolts are 8mm with a .5mm pitch. The length is a function of how long your standoffs need to be. Just measure the length needed and go to Ace or True Value to buy them. A SAE 10x32 will fit also, but it is best to stay with the metric size. The bolt for you spinner is going to be an issue and you may have to settle for the SAE bolt. If you have a bolt supplier like Fastenal they should have the correct length. I had to buy two long bolts and a threaded coupler to get the correct length, usig JB Weld on the coupler.

Congratulations on making the right purchase in the plane and engine, a great combination. This is a link to pictures of my Ultimate that might be helpful to you.
http://www.lundyweb.net/Ultimate%20Pictures/index.html

Chuck
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: maineflyer

Are there any mods for the control horns?
Jeff
Nope, stock setup on ailerons is fine. But on elevator halves & rudder, go with a back plate!

Also; here's my list of 'mods' we've done.....
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8105389]GP Ultimate link to mods......[/link]
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: kwhite.6

Could someone tell me what size and length bolts they used to install a DL50.

Best results will be using [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DASTANDOFF3.html]3" stand-offs for DA-50r & DL50........[/link]

Stock ones the DL50 comes with are too short. You'll want the DL50 mounted out by 3"-3 1/2" from the firewall.

Also; make note of the 'GP Ultimate link to mods......' in another reply above. Look at the firewall 'toothpick' mod for mount holes.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Inyosi

I recently cracked the wings on my ultimate doing a rough landing in the dirt. Some have mentioned pushing the wings back together and using 30 minute glue, but is that strong enough to hold the wings while doing heavier manuevres or would it be better to pull them apart ,strengthen them and then put them back together.. Any ideas
Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 AM
twn

Sorry to hear about your mishap!!

Re-enforce!! carbon fiber, fiberglass and 30 minute epoxy...

Can u elaborate on the actual damage u did? Is the wing or wings if both actually broken right into 2 separate pieces? Might be easier to buy 2 new wing halves and start fresh...

Old 03-15-2009, 02:53 AM
twn

I broke the wing clean in half on my super sportster right from the aileron edge to the leading edge. All I did was manufacture some 1/16th ply wood spar joiners epoxied the wing halves back together with the joiners epoxied to the the main spar (front and back) and then used some 1.0 oz cloth & epoxy over the join on the wing front to back. Added hardly any weight and was just as strong as new. With the thin cloth I added a thin amount of zpoxy (just enough to adhere to the wood but not fill the weave) the re-covering looked great and I couldn't tell there was any damage...
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
dubd

Wow, this thread is still going! This plane was my first gasser. Tons of fun!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 PM
listed

I have so many good ideas from this thread about building and setting up my ultimate thanks to everyone. I am wondering if anyone has put a K5 Canister exhaust into their Ultimate plane. I tried looking but there are too many pages to read through. I am putting a DA50 in it. This is my second GP ultimate as the first one was lost. I found that the Slimeline Pitts muffler I put on it was very loud. As I don’t have the canister muffler and don’t what to purchase one if it won’t fit.
My question has anyone installed one and what problems were encountered?

Thanks for any information.

Les
Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: listed

I am wondering if anyone has put a K5 Canister exhaust into their Ultimate plane. I tried looking but there are too many pages to read through.
My question has anyone installed one and what problems were encountered?

Thanks for any information.

Les

Search for user racelikustolit3k

Also; TBM/Troy Built Models sells a Pitts inverted 'Silent Beauty" muffler w/baffles, you might check out.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:52 PM
maineflyer

Guys,
How far are you running the spinner back plate from the fire wall? I am about 6 3/4" out with my standoffs for the Area 51 I am putting on. Seems to me I read here where some guys are not out the full 7". I am wondering whether it will make much difference or should I cut some 1/4" ply and bring it out the full 7 "..
Thoughts?

BTY I have the Extra 300 gear from GP on the plane and they are much stiffer. Had the local auto parts store mix me up a matching can.. I had bought some "Lustercote".. What a joke... It was orange.

Jeff
Old 03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
twn

If I rememeber right I'm at about 7 1/8" out. I'm using a dl50. I only put it their to balance. Flies great.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 PM
kwhite.6

I got my DL 50 running today and all I can say is wow! I can't wait until tomorrow. It's supposed to be 62 with a 3 mph wind. I got about an hour run time on it and got it tuned pretty good I think. It hits really hard around 2500rpm, I though for sure it was going to rip the firewall out. I sure hope it gets better but if it falls apart I will definitely buy another one.

Now I will need to upgrade my servos before I get to wild with it. I was thinking about using Hitec 5625s on everything and a HS 985 on the rudder but I don't know if I should use a digital or not. I only have a 5 cell nimh 2000 mah battery in it and I'm not sure if it will be enough for a 7955 on the rudder too. Or maybe just use the HS 985 on the rudder and elevator. I already know that everybody will say to use the best you can afford and I've got about $400 left to spend. So what do you all think?

O, my spinner is 7 1/8 from the firewall. I just used the extensions that i had on the fuji and it worked perfect.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
twn

yer 5 cell is plenty for the 7955. I'm using a 2100mah 6v. Is your dl50 new? if so I would run it 400 rpm rich with a 22-8 on ashless for the first 5 gallons or so and 30:1 on the first gallon. I don't think the 5625 is enough for the elevators. Defiantly use digital servos. I have some 985 and on 6v I can move the arm with my hand while holding it over on the transmitter but my 5985 are noticeably stronger.

I would definitely use 5625 on the ailerons. On the elevator & rudder use a 5985 or 7985 on each. Both are excellent. Digitals are WAY stronger than analog (985) If u can afford a 7955 on the rudder go for it but it is overkill.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I got my DL 50 running today and all I can say is wow! I can't wait until tomorrow. It's supposed to be 62 with a 3 mph wind. I got about an hour run time on it and got it tuned pretty good I think. It hits really hard around 2500rpm, I though for sure it was going to rip the firewall out. I sure hope it gets better but if it falls apart I will definitely buy another one.

Now I will need to upgrade my servos before I get to wild with it. I was thinking about using Hitec 5625s on everything and a HS 985 on the rudder but I don't know if I should use a digital or not. I only have a 5 cell nimh 2000 mah battery in it and I'm not sure if it will be enough for a 7955 on the rudder too. Or maybe just use the HS 985 on the rudder and elevator. I already know that everybody will say to use the best you can afford and I've got about $400 left to spend. So what do you all think?

O, my spinner is 7 1/8 from the firewall. I just used the extensions that i had on the fuji and it worked perfect.
I also recently upgraded from a Fuji 43 to a DL50 and it totally changed the way my Ultimate flies. It used to feel heavy in the air with the Fuji and now it feels light as a feather. Crazy pull out power from a hover. By the way I am using 5625s for the elevator and ailerons and a 5645 for the rudder. So far so good. For flight batteries I'm using (2) 7.4v 26000mAh Li-ions with regulators and a 4.8v 2700mAh for the ignition. With this setup I can fly all day. Good luck with your re-maiden. It's going to make you smile.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 AM
kwhite.6

I'm already smiling. I just don't understand how I made it a whole year with the servos I have in it now. I've got 3010s on the ailerons and hobbico cs 70s on the tail. They only recommend 75 ozs in the manual for elevators. I would think that 130oz digitals with metal gears would be good. I'm still gonna treat her like a baby till I get some more servos, if I can! I just wish I had a spinner that would fit. I never liked the looks of the GP spinner anyway. Where can I get a 4" ultimate spinner already drilled and cut to fit a DL with a 22x8 prop?

I'm gonna get the GP Extra gear for it too, is it the right color or does it have to be painted? THANKS.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 AM
maineflyer

They are a nice color but more orange than the red on the model. I took the old gear into the auto parts store and they matched the paint very well.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I'm already smiling. I just don't understand how I made it a whole year with the servos I have in it now. I've got 3010s on the ailerons and hobbico cs 70s on the tail. They only recommend 75 ozs in the manual for elevators. I would think that 130oz digitals with metal gears would be good. I'm still gonna treat her like a baby till I get some more servos, if I can! I just wish I had a spinner that would fit. I never liked the looks of the GP spinner anyway. Where can I get a 4" ultimate spinner already drilled and cut to fit a DL with a 22x8 prop?

I'm gonna get the GP Extra gear for it too, is it the right color or does it have to be painted? THANKS.
Tru Turn will, for an additional $9.50, drill a spinner backplate for your DL50. They will also cut the spinner to fit your prop of choice.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM
twn

I didn't realize that the 5625 were 130 oz @ 6v. I thought they were only 75 oz...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Wow...I can't believe this thread is still going strong. I was a part of this thread back in the beginning when I had the first version of this bipe. I'm glad to see it's still pretty popular and you guys are keeping it alive...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Wow...I can't believe this thread is still going strong. I was a part of this thread back in the beginning when I had the first version of this bipe. I'm glad to see it's still pretty popular and you guys are keeping it alive...

Bill,

Good to hear from you, we haven't seen you around for ages. Where have you been and what are you flying these days?

Chuck
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Hi Chuck,

Been doing loads of IMAC the last couple of years and also had some serious health issues that needed to be dealt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.