Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Aerobatics or Acrobatics????

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Aerobatics or Acrobatics????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 06:52 AM
Rossan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobatics or Acrobatics????

Found this:-

In the mid-1950s, the pilots of what was then Czechoslovakia introduced a maneuver during the Lockheed Trophy that they called a "Lomcevak." The name is variously translated as "log in the head," "headache," or "look at that drunk trying to walk," depending on which Czech you talk to.

Regardless of the exact translation, the new maneuver blew the assembled aerobatic community away. It was the first gyroscopic maneuver to be done, and arguably, it remains the most spectacular.

Gyroscopic maneuvers are maneuvers that take full or partial advantage of the gyroscopic precession generated by the spinning propeller. The pilot usually applies the controls in such a fashion as to maximize this force, and then basically becomes a spectator until the energy of the tumble dissipates and it is time to recover the aircraft.

The classic Lomcevak is entered from a 45° up line, at cruise speed or below, with full throttle applied. To begin the maneuver, full right rudder is applied and held simultaneously with full left aileron and full down elevator. The response varies considerably from aircraft to aircraft, but the usual result is a graceful end-for-end tumble on all three control axes, finishing with the aircraft in an inverted spin

At this site

http://jmrc.tripod.com/fa/aero/aero4.htm

Hope it is of interest
Old 11-28-2002, 07:05 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Lomcevak

Czechs in Russian Yak 18's. Were soon told to stop by the Russians, the maneuver bent cranks and broke motor mounts.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:23 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Default Aerobatics or Acrobatics????

Originally posted by Rossan
Found this:-

In the mid-1950s, the pilots of what was then Czechoslovakia introduced a maneuver during the Lockheed Trophy that they called a "Lomcevak." The name is variously translated as "log in the head," "headache," or "look at that drunk trying to walk," depending on which Czech you talk to.

Gyroscopic maneuvers are maneuvers that take full or partial advantage of the gyroscopic precession generated by the spinning propeller. The pilot usually applies the controls in such a fashion as to maximize this force, and then basically becomes a spectator until the energy of the tumble dissipates and it is time to recover the aircraft.

um yeah, this pretty much explains the coffee table incident, only I think it was my spinning head that provided the Gyroscopic Precession. I can distinctly remember the spectator part, although the recovery is a bit foggy now.

Kevin