Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Rolling circle

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Rolling circle

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 01:29 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rolling circle

Can somebody please share with me the process of learing how to do a rolling circle. I bought the G2 sim about two weeks ago, What a dream, I've learned how to hover and torque roll, now I'm ready to move on. Do the TOC guys practice on a simulator? for the people about to say practice practice practice, save your breath, I know that, I"m looking for the process

thank you

JOhn
Old 11-28-2002, 01:51 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling circle

do a quick search as this topic was hot a couple of months ago i believe it was in the pattern, 3d section.....
Old 11-28-2002, 01:54 AM
Flyfalcons

Default Rolling circle

Here's how I learned this past summer. I'm still working on it but I'm getting there. Just start by doing a 90 degree turn with one roll involved. do it both ways and get used to what your fingers are doing. Once you get the feel for it start doing 180 degree turns, you get the idea. Many people will say that rolling to the outside is easier, and in my limited experience I tend to agree, but when I started it was easier for me to 'think' my way through rolling to the inside. I have found to make good rollers, you need to use lots of rudder, a low amount of elevator, and very little aileron.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:13 AM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

Default Rolling circle

i cheat when i do rolling circles but this will help. Start with standerd rolls. as you know, you need to put some down elevator in when your inverted. well do two rolls. get the feel and get it so that you dont lose any alt. then do three. when you can do it all the way acrossed the field then your ready to get it to turn. What i do is when the plane is knife edge i give it more or keep the elevator cammand in to get it to scribe the circle. try a 180 turn. if you can do 180 turn while rolling than you can roll acrossed the field, do a 180 and roll acrossed again. The last 1/4 of the circle is the hardest just couse it looks funny. it took me a weekend to learn this way.
After you get comfertable do them then you can learn the rudder cammands and have them perfect.
I think this is the best way becouse you learn one step at a time.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:36 AM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

Default Rolling circle

I'll 2nd Da King!

One step at a time... is the best!
Old 11-28-2002, 03:39 AM
jrjohn

Default Rolling circle

Thanks Guys, I'm making progress already. I read the thread from a while back. The subject of rolling circles was covered very well. here's what I'm doing.

First I practiced doing perfect slow rolls, one right after the other, then I started using up elevator while the wings are verticle to make the turn. I'm not using down elevator when the wings are verticle on the other side, In other words I'm only imputting a turn command via up eleavator once every 360 deg. is this a mistake? Also I'm only using the rudder to keep the plane level. does this sound correct?

JOhn
Old 11-28-2002, 08:34 AM
simon Ka

Default Rolling circle

I found it also usefull to practice control line circuits also inverted control line circuits and the same with knife edge both in and out. Perfect these and the basic aileron/elevator rolling circuit and you have all the ingredients for a one roll rolling circuit.....now they look really cool!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rolling circle

Sounds to me like you're doing it the right way. Start slow, and add complexity. Basically.. I started out doing rollers with just elevator and aileron. Then later on.. once I was comfortable with this, I started adding in rudder inputs. In the end, you'll find you use more rudder than anything else.

Say what you want about torque rolls, and so forth, a well flown rolling circle to me displays the best command of the airplane.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:12 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

Default Rolling circle

Originally posted by dcronkhite

Say what you want about torque rolls, and so forth, a well flown rolling circle to me displays the best command of the airplane. [/B]
I second that. But tork rolls are a part of it also. Put the two together and you have penutbutter and jelly.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:55 PM
jrjohn

Default Rolling circle

I found it also usefull to practice control line circuits also inverted control line circuits and the same with knife edge both in and out. Perfect these and the basic aileron/elevator rolling circuit and you have all the ingredients for a one roll rolling circuit.....now they look really cool!

I don't understand what a "control line ciricuit" is

John
Old 11-28-2002, 04:22 PM
hroachen

Default Rolling circle

"control line circuit" refers to flying in circles using rudder to turn the plane instead of aileron and keeping the wings level throughout. Also known as "flat turns".

David
Old 11-28-2002, 05:22 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default Rolling circle

Practice flat turns and knife edge.

Practice slow rolls.

Slowly combine the 3. Do a 360 where you are level the first quadrant, knife edge the second, inverted the third, knife edge the fourth, and exit upright.

At least that's what I've heard, I learned to do them simply through practice and trial and error, which is just as valid It's a big deal getting used to seeing and controlling your airplanes in unusual attitudes, and you have to find your own comfort zone.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:54 PM
3Dfalcon

Default Rolling circle

I love doing rolling circles and learned to do them on g2. I cant recomend g2 enough for learning rollers. I have been getting real good at doing them and can do lots of variations of them now. In & outside,alternating & 4 and 8 point rollers. I fly 35% planes and this size, or bigger plane dose them best.
I have helped afew friends learn how to do rollers and in only a few months they are doing beautifull rollers.
We learned by what I called the push pull meathod. It is very easy to do if you try this. First you have to learn to do a straight roll and use opposite rudder to hold the plane from falling on its side. It dosnt have to be a true slow roll but should be about a 3 or 4 second roll. Once you can do these without the plane falling,you are ready to do the cheater rolling circle. Now heres the trick that you should be practicing only on g2 at first.
Also this is all going to be at a high throttel setting,to give you better control, and at one aileron setting,that 3-4 second rate.

1- roll to the right 1/4 roll. you should already have some left rudder in it to hold it up. Now give it a small push of down elevator and let it go.

2- you will roll past 1/2 way without doing anything exept holding the same aieleron input.

3- at 3/4 roll you will have some right rudder like we practiced on our rolls and all we need to do is bump a bit of up elevator to change the heading again

Thats it. This all happens pretty fast and it will turn into a timed push and pull input as the plane bumps its way around your first roller.

After you get the hang of this it all starts coming together and you will be able to clean them up as you practice,practice,practice. Hope this helps. Good Luck !!

1- roll 1/4