Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

just starting out in 3d

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

just starting out in 3d

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 03:37 PM
superdave118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just starting out in 3d

i am trying to get into 3d flying. i hear that the bigger planes will fly better than a 1/4 scale. money is an issue. i like the great planes 1/4 scale extra but dont know if im hurting myself by starting small. if so then who makes a good plane for about 400 dollars. Also what kind of engine would work good in the great planes extra. i would like gas so i was thinking of a g45. is that enough to hang?

thanks
Old 11-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Jaco

If you want a plane specifically for 3D you might want to consider the Dave Patrick Extra or maybe an Aeroworks. The Wagstaff looks like a great plane but I don't think it's really designed for 3D (I may be wrong). If you wanted something really cheap and easy to learn 3D get a profile like the CG Extreme 330 or Morris. That way you're not afraid to bang it up learning to hover low, harrier landing and the like. Opinions may vary!
Old 11-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Barricade696

Dave from what I'ave heard the gp extra 300 is not good for 3d. I Hear you when you say money is an issue I was considering a aeroworks 31% arf but I'd kill myself if I crashed it. Larger planes will 3d easier but they cost more money 800 for plane 600 for engine 1000 for radio 200 for all the other junk. It ads up quick so If you want a bigger plane go down to the giant for sales I would never Buy one only because I don't know where they have been. If I were you I would get a World Models extra 300 with a zdz 60. But If you want a small set up that 3d its brain out or Your brian get a great planes UC3d. Or I have a hanger 9 pizzaz on the way just for fun. Hope this helps GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:25 PM
Hercmate

I would tend to agree that you want something fairly cheap/repairable in the beginning. That way you'll actually practise the moves instead of worrying whether you smash the plane up. I learned/am learning on the Cougar2000 (see left under name) and its only 100 pounds (about 150US$) so its not the end of the world if its gets a little crashed!! Good luck!
Old 11-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Barricade696

Aeroworks Is coming out with a extra 300 profile arf cant go wrong its nice because you have the size of 1/4 but the performance of a 40% for only 300 bucks CANT GO WRONG ASK FOR ROCCO.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:33 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

if you want a 1/4 scale 3d plane look at the h9 edge540 and a os 1.6fx. not a ton of money but not cheap either. Or you can go with the couple of big profiles out there.OMP has a big 540. Aeroworks has a big profile allso. hope this helps
Old 11-28-2002, 08:17 PM
superdave118

thanks guys. i will probly go with the gp ucando3d or somthing like a profile on the lower end of the money scale. has anyone heard about the aeroworks profile? how does it fly on what engine.

thanks
Old 11-28-2002, 09:24 PM
robert

There are lots of machines around that size, but I think that your best bet would ve to go with something like the Cougar as Hercmate said, there are lots of very good performing, very fun, and very cheap planes out there around that size. Like the Magic at about $100 I think, thats ARTF!
Robert.