Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

MK BellCrank Problems ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

MK BellCrank Problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 01:38 PM
shane-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK BellCrank Problems ?

MK BellCrank Problems ?

I have heard rumours of problems with the MK bellcrank used with the 3/16 CH carbon fiber rod. The problem being that the CF rod is to ridged resulting in failure of the rod ends or failure of the digital servo gears.
The instructions recommend supporting the rod in two places with ½ inch sponge to help prevent this.
I know some of you are now using a pullpull system to the bell crank – but that’s to much hassle for me – especially if your travelling to different climates and the pullpull can need adjustment.

A possible solution could be the use of the less rigid DaveBrown glass rod or the use of a metal geared digital servo ?

Any thoughts ???

Shane
Old 11-29-2002, 12:34 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about problems with the MK bellcrank, but as far as pull-pull is concerned, I've never had to readjust my cables regardless of climate or age. Of course I use braided steel cables, so that may have something to do with it.

John
Old 11-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need some foam as is used in engine boxes to hold the motor. Cut a piece about 2" deep x 1" thick and length about 1 1/2 times the width of your fuz about half way between the MK unit and your elevator servo. Punch a hole through the middle of it using a piece of sharpened brass tube a bit smaller than the dia. of your carbon pushrod. Stick a piece of double sided tape on each end of the foam block and cover them with pieces of covering film backing so that when you thread the block over the pushrod the ends dont stick to the insides of the fuz until you get it in place. Push the block down the fuz and fit the horn and arm onto the elevator servo with the elevators centred so that the block lies in the correct position in the fuz. Now reach down and being careful not to move the foam pull out the film backing pieces and the double sided tape will grab the fuz sides. The pushrod will move back and forth bending the foam block which will provide damping to stop the rod resonating but still allow very free movement. This has worked perfectly for me in my last to models.

Regards

Malcolm