Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Fun Star 40-3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Phoenix Models Fun Star 40-3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:59 AM
av8r1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Models Fun Star 40-3D

You are right about the .82 being a big drinker. I get about 10 minutes tops flight time, during break-in even less. I've been running a 14" prop for quite a while with 2-3/4" wheels. I just bend the gear down a little to raise the clearance. It gives the wheels a little camber which is good for ground handling anyway. It clears fine if the grass is short but puts a little green coating on the bottom lead edge of the wing if the grass is a little high.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
SaCCaL72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you screw the cowl screws in the first time, take them back out, take the cowl off, or at least move it away from the holes in the fuselage and drip some thin CA down into the holes to harden the threads. Give it some time to dry before putting the screws back int so you don't glue them in. It will allow you to tighten the screws down solidly so they won't come out.
I appreciate the tip but I actually did what you are explaining above when I originally made the screw holes and mounted the cowling. Over time (15 flights or so), they eventually worked themselves loose and after tightening them a few times, they had gotten weak and won't even tighten up anymore. Not all, just two of them. Are there inserts that can be glued in? I am thinking of using the plastic Molly's to push into the hole and then screw into that, this way it may give it a little more strength and they could be replaced if they wear out. Thanks...
Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Sea Bird
My Feedback: (20)

I have a Fun Star, it was easy to build and covering is very much like ultra-coat, it's tough. I used a OS- 40FX that will fly this bird vertical up out of sight, it will 3-D with 12-4 sport prop. It will loop on it's own axis, glides well and very stable. It is difficult to determine what position plane is in while flying so I put large red & black diamonds on the wing bottoms and elevator and that solved the problem. This bird is light so a big engine is a waste of money and won't really improve performance. Horizon Hobby sells this plane for $128.00 shipped and they are in stock. I may add that the Fun Star & Hanger 9 Twist are VERY much alike as I have both and they both cost the same. Happy Landings,

Smokey
Old 03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
av8r1

ORIGINAL: SaCCaL72

Are there inserts that can be glued in? I am thinking of using the plastic Molly's to push into the hole and then screw into that, this way it may give it a little more strength and they could be replaced if they wear out. Thanks...
I'm not sure, haven't had to deal with that problem yet. One of mine got a little loose I just re-CA'd it and it was very tight again.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:24 PM
zyklon_chichi

ORIGINAL: av8r1

You are right about the .82 being a big drinker. I get about 10 minutes tops flight time, during break-in even less. I've been running a 14" prop for quite a while with 2-3/4" wheels. I just bend the gear down a little to raise the clearance. It gives the wheels a little camber which is good for ground handling anyway. It clears fine if the grass is short but puts a little green coating on the bottom lead edge of the wing if the grass is a little high.

is that 10mins with the stock tank? If it is then I think my tt50 is not sucking less than a saito .82. I am beginning to push the thing slightly harder and I am only getting 9mins out of the stock tank, 1 to 2 more min and I will probably see the engine quitting.

Sea bird, I had read about it and anticipated the orientation problem before I flew mine, so I used neon pink trim sheets on the bottom. Solved the problem, but I thought it might be even better with another colour. Is your red and black very obvious in flight?

So far, I have been quite happy with the funstar except for a few issues. The tt50 has got more than enough power for it, hovering and unlimited vertical, but I thought I could do with a bit more which I attribute to my slightly heavier weight- big fat heli engine, 4.8v 1100mah ni-cd, all standard sized servos, 3" rubber wheel, dubro 1" tail wheel with metal insert, 4-40 rod and metal clevis all round and some reinforcement.

In harrier, there is a lot of wing rock, but it is so easy to do it, just hold full elevator and control the throttle. Very hard to knife edge this plane, even my low wing trainer was easier. Hover is easy, but I could probably go furthur on c.g and make it better.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:49 PM
av8r1

Yes, stock tank, but I tend to fly it fairly easy and slow most of the time.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 AM
The MacDaddy
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: SaCCaL72

After you screw the cowl screws in the first time, take them back out, take the cowl off, or at least move it away from the holes in the fuselage and drip some thin CA down into the holes to harden the threads. Give it some time to dry before putting the screws back int so you don't glue them in. It will allow you to tighten the screws down solidly so they won't come out.
I appreciate the tip but I actually did what you are explaining above when I originally made the screw holes and mounted the cowling. Over time (15 flights or so), they eventually worked themselves loose and after tightening them a few times, they had gotten weak and won't even tighten up anymore. Not all, just two of them. Are there inserts that can be glued in? I am thinking of using the plastic Molly's to push into the hole and then screw into that, this way it may give it a little more strength and they could be replaced if they wear out. Thanks...

SACCAL72,

Take a inner nyrod (Sullivan pushrods) and drill out the hole, slip in a piece of the nyrod w/ a little thick CA, now the screws will be biting into plastic!

Go to Tower Hobbies, download the manual for the G202, see page 37. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLP44&P=0

Mac
Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
SaCCaL72

MacDaddy,
Thanks, sounds like a good tip. I will definately try that.

With my O.S. 50SX I get at least 12 minutes with a mix of slow easy flying and full out flying. I have my radio set to 10 minutes and if I land it at 10 minutes I usually have at least a quarter tank left so I usually perform a few touch and goes and then finally land it.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Sea Bird

Yes, a have a Fun Fly, it has an OS-40FX engine & Futaba radio system. They are covered with ORACOAT. Out of the box it was purrrr fect like all Phoenix planes. (I have 5) The engine mount is installed more than 45 degree so you can use the stock muffler. This bird will loop on its own axis. All Phoenix planes are well constructed and very durable. The Fun Fly is some what like the Hanger 9 Twist but I like the Fun Fly better. Lots of fun for $100.00.

Sea Bird
Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Sea Bird

Yes the Red & Black diamonds are very easy to see. This bird don't need more than an OS-40FX. I have 5 Phoenix planes and love them all. Happy Landings,

Sea Bird
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 AM
SaCCaL72

MacDaddy,
Take a inner nyrod (Sullivan pushrods) and drill out the hole, slip in a piece of the nyrod w/ a little thick CA, now the screws will be biting into plastic!
Excellent, I did it and it looks like it is going to work. Thanks a lot!!! I think I am going to try this on some of my other planes now.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
dbergsneider

ALL RIGHT
here its a video that i took this sunday of the funstar doing a SUPER LOW torqueroll and harries. i have a 50cc extra but i like the way that my funstar flies a thousend times more.

i have it with a OS 61 max..and all standars servos less the rudder that i hace a high torque.
mine funstars its a bit noseheave but it make really nice 3d.

just look this video. i promise that after this sunday i will post a better video.

Click here to watch funstar-torqueroll
www.putfiles.com//dbergsneider
Old 01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

Hey, I got a funstar with a Saito 150 What a blast to fly Its got unlimited vertical at 1/8 throttle and hovers at about two clicks above idle. Just messing with you guys. I have one Question I am going to be building my second one and was wondering if futaba s3151 digital servos have enough torque for full throttle walls, blenders, Flat spins and waterfalls
Thanks, Tony
Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
manyu

Hi,

could someone tell me what is the CG people are taking it to ...

mine is set at 130 mm aft of the leading edge..and feel i could go back a little...
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
i live for 3D
Banned

put it like at 4.75 to 5 inches back
Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM
manyu

Hi Tony..
Do you have your funstar's CG that Aft...
Is it managable at that??..

Manyu
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

yes mine is that aft...it flies 3D better but landing can be a pain
Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
manyu

yes..landing is a real pain even with the cg i am with it even will the slightest wind.....!

MANYU
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM
exciter900rr

I have a question that may temporarily revive this thread......

I was just literally given a rtf fun star. the only thing I'm wondering about is the .40 magnum 2 stroke in it-
I'd kinda like to just knock the barnacles off of it and fly it, but will it be severely underpowered? I do have a .55ax on the shelf, but it ran like poop in my u can do .46- appeared that it wasn't operating in the right rpm range even though I was running the "wacky prop" on it- (12 1/4 x 3 3/4)

I fly a DA 50R powered 29% sukhoi right now, and also have a .36 tribute that I play with when it isn't broken in half from draggin the tail- lol I am used to the punch out of the 50cc bird, but also like flying the little tribute- (just to give an indicator of what I'm used to flying...)
Thanks for the help! KM
Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
exciter900rr

anyone?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

ANYONE
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

How do they hold up to a hard landing? Looks like it's a jigsaw of light ply which would most likely mean splinters in a mishap.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 PM
rhk

Mine flew well with an OS 46 ax, standard muffler, till it disintegrated in a mid air collision.

Had some dead stick issues due to vibration causing air bubbles in the tank, which were sorted with additional foam packing.

The plane is delicate but is a "floater" unlike the tribute and can stand more "abuse" than the Tribute which has a habit of the fuse snapping in less than perfect landings.

The prop I used was the APC 12.35 X 3.25.

Knife edge on this aircraft was non existent for me .

Happy flying
Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys. I just finished my Funstar and maidened this week. Took it out today for the 3rd time, and just had a ball with it. I am totally amazed and pleased with how much fun I get from this cheapest airframe of all my planes. It was really cheap for me since my son gave me the ARF for Fathers Day this year, lol. But at $99 retail, it is my cheapest had I bought it, and I get the most bang for the buck out of this. I chose it as a good plane for funfly events at my club, and am also using at as a practice plane for 3D aerobatics, instead of on my new 50cc Richmodel Extra 330L. I got in my first decent harrier rolling circles today! Hovering is pretty easy with it, and will be better when I move the CG back a little more. I began with it in the middle of the recommended range. For today I had 1/2oz of lead added to the tail. Am going to add another 1/2 oz for the next session. That should help hovering.

I powered my Funstar with an OS 52 four stroker and think it's perfect. Lots of guys have gone to larger engines, but I think I like mine fine with this engine and AUW of only 4 pounds. It is light and it flies LIGHT. It just floats around for landings, so spot landings in a funfly contest should be very doable. It can roll three times in a second, and loop three times in 2 or 3 seconds. I think it loops outside just as fast as inside! I have a 12-6 APC on it but will put on that 12.25x3.75 APC today for the next session.

I repainted the colorful guy in the cockpit. I think they used every color of paint in the shop on him! No complaints about the plane at all. I did add a ply doubler to both sides of the fuse (inside) from LE to TE of the wing. It just looked like the weak point on the fuse to me.

I am not having any prob with orientation of the plane in the air. Since it flies so light and can be flown close in, I am finding it easy enough to see, so far.

My son who gave me the ARF also flew it several times today. He too was impressed and full of grins.

Here is a pic. I renamed my plane. Funstar is just too genteel...so my son suggested the new name using less letters from the stock decal set. LOL, I LIKE IT! Jon

Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 AM
rlfgary
My Feedback: (5)

How easy is it to remove the wing for transport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.