Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM
McChiken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

.............I have had several servo fail from simply bumping the control surface against something while moving the plane. Strips the plastic gear. That's frustrating.. What are your thoughts on this.
Bruce

[/quote]

I always tell my Dad this , " boy......I say BOY...........Pay Attention" !!!!

Foghorn Leghorn

If that doesn't help I always say " SH$T Happens" .
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme

If your bumping it that hard either...
1 cheap servos to start with
2 hitting it real hard and need to repair your plane...

I agree........I haven't had to replace a servo yet because of bumping a control surface

Maybe I'm just lucky
Old 01-10-2009, 05:26 PM
bfreee

Okay, now that I know I'm an idiot & buy cheap servo's. Do any of you know of an all metal geared servo? All the one's I've repaired still have one plastic gear. i haven't had to repair any on my hi end hi techs, but was wondering if anyone has had one open & saw whether or not they have the one plastic gear or not.

Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
AirWizard

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always used Hitec metal gear digitals......I'm crossing my fingers hoping I won't have to open one up.

I would hate to lose a $3,000.00 plane to a bad servo.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 PM
bfreee

Hi
I have them too on my QQ102 and have never had any problems with them. They're killer servo's. The ones that this happened on was 225mg, 85mg on $200 dollar plane. I'm just wondering if the TG or the other $100+ servo's are made that way.

Bruce
Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
AirWizard

I have had problems with the 225 mg.....wouldn't hold center
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 PM
McChiken

bfree,

You might be using a servo for the wrong application too . Just cause a micro servo says its good for 60 oz of torque doesn't mean it was intended for a 70" wings aileron .
Just as a HS-225mg or 85mg is a better choice than a karbanite for throttle because of vibration issues and constant ramping up and down for 3d flying .
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

the last hitech servos i bought were 7985's, the box says 3 metal gears and a karbonite gear, so i dont believe there is any plastic involved at all
Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 PM
bfreee

Thanks guys,
I didn't mean to make everyone think this was a real problem. I haven't had this happen much since I learned what not to do.....Like crash or hit my rudder on the door frame on the way through the door. On occasion it still happens and maybe the alternative would be worse ie, a broken control surface
I didn't mean to drag you guys sort of off topic.

Just wondering if anyone else had info about servos with truly all metal gear construction. I had bought these years ago under the advice of my friend Cliff Whitney of Atlanta Hobby where I bought the plane and what others were using at the time here on RCU. They have served me well. That one gear can be fragile if you're not careful. If I had to buy a micro now I'm not sure what I'd buy. Thats why I was wondering about the construction.

Good luck, Bruce.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
bfreee

Thanks Dave,

That's good to know. The karbonite is 4 times stronger than the standard plastic, if I recall correctly. I have several 65hb's. I haven't had anything happen to them. I'll research this some so you guys can get back to what you'd rather talk about. I feel I'm being a distraction to you all. Thanks again.

Bruce
Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 PM
diamondave

i do remember when the first karbonite final gears came out, they were all hyped and supposed to be great, i broke two of them very easy, i bumped the ele on my old funtana and it broke a tooth out, then after that i purposely moved my rudder back and forth by hand rather quickly, at the end rotation as i changed direction, that broke, so i can see how you can break them by bumping them, but i think they changed something since then, and ive never heard of one internally breaking like on the final metal gear servos, ... its all related to the topic, kinda sorta, servos are a very big part of 3d planes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM
McChiken

I'm putting a Mojo together now and was thinking HS-475's or DS-821's . Anybody have horror stories on either of these . I'm thinkin more of 475's cause I have a gift cert. for Tower . And I was thinkin HS-85mg for throttle . I have only used 965mg , 65hg and 55's in Hitec's and never used a spectrum but I heard there real good. I could care less about the digital thing . Never have noticed a difference other than digitals are crybabies and current suckers . Probly cause I'm a rookie to 3d nitro .
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

[quote]I would hate to lose a $3,000.00 plane to a bad servo.[quote]

I lost a plane to cheap servos years ago. A total loss....all except for a couple of cheap servos. It was a 33% Extra I built and painted from a kit, it took months to complete. I got four and a half flights out of it. That day I learned the hard way about using cheap servos. One of my favorite questions to ask is "what's the worst that can happen?" Using cheap servos the answer is you risk a total loss. Except for a JR8711 on the rudder of my H9 Sukhoi (411 oz. in. torque) I use Hitec 5955TG and the newer 7955TGs (both have 333 oz. in. torque @ 6V). I have never stripped a gear and although I own 25+ of these servos, I've never taken one apart. Last summer I lost a 2.6m Comp ARF Extra in a bean field. We looked for days but didn't find it (the beans were chest high). It stayed in the beans, rain, sunshine, heat, cold and all until fall when a buddy found it. The plane and servos were in the beans two months. I sent all 8 Hitec 5955s back for possible repair. Hitec installed new pig tails, ran diagnostic checks and sent all 8 of them back. Total charge was $48.50 or so. They are now in my 35% Hangar 9 Extra 260. I have several of the old JR 4721s, which have plastic gears, I use them on throttle. Airwayman
Old 01-11-2009, 10:37 AM
stryker11
My Feedback: (1)

Would you want to tell us what kind they were?, Maybe some of us could avoid such a disaster.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 AM
airwayman

Would you want to tell us what kind they were?, Maybe some of us could avoid such a disaster.
It's been a long time ago, 20 yrs. or so. I think they were JR4721s or perhaps a Futaba 131s? ...I'm sure they were ball bearing servos. They weren't cheap servos, just had plastic gears. I do know what happened, and it wasn't entirely the fault of the servo. Back then most of the control horns were made of white colored nylon or something similar. Ball links were for cars but were beginning to be used by R/C airplanes. For the first time, I used ball links on the ailerons with nylon control horns. At the time I didn't realize the nylon type control horns are best suited for use with a clevis which centers the force from the servo directly forward and aft on the control horn, NOT from the side, like a ball link (especially when you use the cone spacer which moves the ball link even farther away from the side of the control horn) . Twist one of the nylon horns sideways and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about.....they flex sideways, but not fore and aft. (I'm not talking about the newer heavy duty control horns nowadays, I'm referring to the light duty kind. Back then there were no heavy duty horns that I knew of.) Anyway, coming out of a loop and gathering speed, all of a sudden there was a loud BZZZZZZZZZ, and parts starting coming off the plane. It rolled to knife edge, turned 45 degrees, hit he ground and exploded. Investigation revealed the lack of rigidity of the nylon control horn allowed the right aileron to flutter. This immediately started breaking the plastic gears in the servo which allowed the aileron to flutter even more. It shook the plane so violently in a milisecond, it stripped the gears on the left aileron servo as well. The right aileron fluttered so bad it ripped the control horn out of the aileron and the aileron began to shed parts. All of this happened in a split second. I learned two very valuable lessons that day. It was Thanksgiving, I had a new plane, the weather was perfect. My loving wife said "oh, honey, I know your dying to fly (little did she know) why don't you go get in a few flights on your new plane while I fix dinner?" I went to the field, there was nobody there so I flew by myself. When I lost control, the plane turned towards me. It came very close to ruining my Thanksgiving dinner....or worse. This was before cell phones so there was no help available if I had been hurt. We learn from our mistakes. Nowadays, I don't fly by myself, I always have a cell phone and I use heavy duty horns and SWB servo arms. Airwayman
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
McChiken

R's not to ask Why .
Old 02-05-2009, 04:50 AM
hollowman

Default RE: New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

sefc
Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 AM
hollowman

Default RE: New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Old 02-22-2009, 05:40 PM
diamondave

here is a link to me trying my hand at hovers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ya7xJx73JE
Old 02-22-2009, 08:51 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice hovers.............I only have one suggestion for you
LOWER!!!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
diamondave

im not sure how much lower i can get without touching, too dusty at that site....will try to get another vid of some more flying at my regular field one of these days, my camera man missed all my flat spins and KE figure8's and stuff, he was either way too far or too close, so i cut alot out, will find someone else to work it next time
Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 AM
airwayman

Dang dude, you need to water your lawn. What engine is that? Sounds like you got it tuned to a gnat's patutte. Airwayman.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
diamondave

that is a field i only go to once in a great while, i fly mainly at a regular site with paved runway, bathroom, soda machine, pavilians, all the good stuff, i went there cause my field was closed to a work party, and i knew i could do anything i want there, ie..walk with the plane out in the open, no stands to stay behind, or noone to tell me too for that matter....but its too dusty to go all the time with that plane anyway, plus not having any of the accomidations kinda stinks, especially now that its going to be getting warmer here real quick

its a zdz100, just about done with the 4th gallon of break in oil....runs good to me already
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: airwayman

Dang dude, you need to water your lawn. What engine is that? Sounds like you got it tuned to a gnat's patutte. Airwayman.
i havent heard it put that way before
Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 AM
airwayman

ORIGINAL: diamondave

ORIGINAL: airwayman

i havent heard it put that way before
What gnat's patutte? This is a public forum, I didn't want to use the A word. ZDZ 100 sounds good, great throttle response. As you know, that is essential for hovering/torque rolls. What does your plane weigh without fuel? Where is this flying site with the paved runway, soda fountain and did you say...swimming pool? Airwayman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.