Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Fliton Inspire 60 Acro

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Fliton Inspire 60 Acro

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fliton Inspire 60 Acro

Okay ... its off my 'What to Get Next' list
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 AM
gmilo
My Feedback: (39)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

guys:

I just put my first flights on my Inspire 60 and here is my setup (sames as what I use on my Fliton Edge 330 freestyle and Edge 540 Freestyle) slightly downpropped:

AXI 4130-16M, Opto 77 ESC
APC 17x8E prop
two TP 4200 packs in series (6s2p)
Hitec HS5245MG digital mini servos for elevator (1) and ailerons (2) (80 oz torque)
Hitec HS6335 digital servo for rudder (180oz torque)

AUW ready to fly with batteries: 6lb 4 oz.
CG is 3/4" behind the wing tube.

Flight Report: Quote frankly, I was scheptical of how this plane would fly, but after my initial flights I am completely blown away. Its the best flying plane Fliton has produced to date and I have all of them. Extremely straight lines in precision flight, instantaneous snap roll stop on full or fractional snaps with stick release AND extremly stable 3D harriers, high alpha knife edge with just a tad of pull towards the canopy but the huge rudder gives a tone of authority on the backside of knife edge loops. Going from 3D to precision is just a switch flip from high to standard rates on the control surfaces. This is the first airplane that I've flown that has really facilitated this.

Movies and pictures coming soon......

cafeenman, I haven't seen any tendancy to snap with elevator. My suspicion is that you have a warped wing that can be ironed out. Its happend to me with ARF's as they ship from Asia and changing temp/humidity conditions OR you have a warped wing with some washout in the huge ailerons. check the wings for warps and/or reflex the ailerons slightly to see if the isue goes away. Something is seriously wrong with your setup.

Greg (gmilo)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg ... goold to hear you enjoyed the plane. Would love to see your set up and installation pics! Don't forget the videos too.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:47 AM
gmilo

Hi Tianci......as indicated, full setup pictures and video coming wthin then next few weeks. This plane has shocked the hell out of my with how well it flies....and I thought my Extra and Edge Freestyles couldn't be beaten. WOW

Greg
Old 07-27-2006, 10:25 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I want to see the video too I'm so buying this plane, I just need more good info,
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
RCGforce

My buddy also got the Inspire and he said that its an awesome flying plane. I still haven't seen it yet. I can't wait to see it. We are all waiting for you Greg.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
CafeenMan

We checked mine out every way possible. Nothing is warped. The ailerons are dead center. The CG was at the forward of the recommended range. No change in the snap behavior. In a fit of desparation we strapped a 600 mAh battery to the outside of the plane on the aft fuselage which should have moved the CG back somewhat. No matter what we do there's no difference. Now I'm really pissed that I spent $70 on an anozided tru-turn spinner because this plane will certainly be grounded if we can't find the problem and correct it soon.

I'm glad others are having success with it. Maybe mine just can't handle being a pound heavier. But I'm not spending $250 or more for an engine that I don't have just to find out if that's the problem. I have no need for a .60 - .70 four-stroke otherwise and if the problem still exists I'll have spent over $600 on this thing.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Have you check the incidence? That might be a cause.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 PM
CafeenMan

I've only checked the incidence between the panels. There are recesses for the wing to plug into and they fit dead on. There's really no way to change it, but the whole thing is built on a jig. I really doubt it's the problem.

Here's the thing. I think it's still nose-heavy. I keep moving the CG back but it doesn't even slightly improve the behavior. It only happens when there's a little bit of up elevator and right aileron. I'm talking very little. Full movement on low rates is less than 3/4" and it happens when the stick is back about 1/4 of the total throw. And I'm using lots of expo so let's say 1/16" up elevator with some right aileron thrown in. It snaps hard to the right but it doesn't roll completely over. At most it goes into knife edge with the right wing down.

In any case, I have no confidence flying this thing down low. So far the wind has been such that my approach is all left turns where there's no problem. If the wind goes in the other direction then I'm making right turns low and slow which may be the end of it.

As far as changing incidence and decalage, it's all built in and unchangeable. It would be easier to build a new one from scratch.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
MOJO65-9or10

The plane is great looking and I am sorry that your having trouble with it! I bought a funtana 90s and TRIED to get it to fly right for a while. Now even though I am a licensed AC mechanic I managed to glue the horizontal stab on tilted and never went back and looked at it. I flew it around all year and never relized I screwed it up from the begining. I then ended up selling it to a guy after he came over and pretty much instantly saw the problem and I felt like and idiot. Anyway take a week or two off and then go in there with a open mind and look at the plane from the tail and see if the horizontal is parellel with the wings. If it isn't THIS will be the problem you will have to fix. My funtana was off by probably 5 or more degrees and I never thought about looking at it since it was and ARF and everything just slides together.

So I felt like a chump and wasted a bunch of money on what was surly a great plane that some other guy hopfully is enjoying. He got it for 45.00.

Dave
Old 08-02-2006, 11:54 AM
BoneDoc

LOL, Live and learn .
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
CafeenMan

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you've read my posts so far you can see I'm very frustrated with the model. I've put it aside for now and cut a perfectly good model of my own design into pieces so I can improve it. The process will be on my website soon. The Inspire will get worked on at times when I feel I can not let my frustration get the better of me.

I'm convinced that the problem is the CG. Everything is as straight as I can tell and I've taken pretty careful measurements. I've had plaens far more crooked that didn't have this type of bad habit. They may not have trimmed perfectly, but they didn't have vicious snap rolls either. I'll keep moving the CG back until it reaches a point of insanity. If that doesn't resolve the problem then I'll pull all my gear out of it so I can put it in a plane that does work and chalk it up to a really bad experience.

I haven't given up yet, but I need to work on something else that I do enjoy so that I don't let things like this ruin the hobby for me. I'll keep posting what I'm doing and how it works out.

A few posts back I mentioned that the CG was at the forward recommended range. After a flight like that and the plane still snapping we strapped on the 600 mAh battery pack as shown in the photo. Still no change. I didn't rebalance because frankly I didn't care where it balanced. I just wanted the CG to move enough to make a difference. I was very surprised that the plane didn't behave any differently that we could notice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64783.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	501135  
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Sprink

I haven't yet bought an ARF or kit where I have ended up with the CG within the range recomended by the manufacturer, I always end up behind. EG my Fliton infinity 90 I was finally happy when it was a whole inch behind the recomended point. I have heard that too forward a CG will cause snapping problems on planes like this. The extra weight of such a big engine won't help either.

As mentioned above, check all the angles, stab to rudder, wing to stab. I have found these are often out when I build the planes, and have to put in a fair amount of work to make sure they are straight.

I'm glad someone has success with this plane, as I really like the look of it, and I am thinking of getting one for the winter, so that I don't have to get out my big 120/140 size planes when it is cold and muddy.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:21 PM
FlitonUSA

Fliton.com has just been updated with an "Electric Conversion Document" for the Inspire 60 Acro. It is available in PDF and WORD format with photos, required materials and instructions. Please see link below:

[link=http://www.flitonusamedia.com/docs/Inspire60ElectricConversion.pdf]PDF Format[/link]

[link=http://www.flitonusamedia.com/docs/Inspire60ElectricConversion.doc]WORD Format[/link]
Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
gmilo

Guys....my electric conversion setup is now posted on the Fliton site for added guidance. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm out of town on business for the rest of the week, then back to get some more time on the Inspire and a rock'in video. This is gonna be a good one!

Gmilo
Old 08-14-2006, 01:17 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Somebody in another Forum found the Elevators are different in Size
Chek them, might be yor problem right there. I check mine tonight
I had some real sh--ty Set of Landing Gears with my Plane how about yours?
Michael
Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 PM
CafeenMan

One of my gears rakes back a lot more than the other. Not much I can do about it since the gears are pre-shaped and drilled and the fuse is also pre-drilled. I hid my inspire someplace in the house where I never see it. One day I'll work on it some more and maybe it will turn out fine. For now I'm going to work on projects I enjoy. Life is too short so spend time being aggravted over model airplanes that don't work.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
BoneDoc

Greg, you still owe us a video .
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
DHC8GURU

YA KNOW SOMETIMES YOU GET JUST A BAD PLANE. A BUDDY AND ME BOUGHT HYPERION CAP 232'S MINE FLEW GREAT, HIS ROLLED LEFT WITH UP ELEVATOR, WE HAD IDENTICAL SETUPS. EVERYTHING WAS PUT TOGETHER STRAIT AND CG IN MIDDLE OF RANGE ETC. FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON HIS HAD PROBLEMS. I ORDERED MY INSPIRE TODAY. OVERPOWERING IT WITH A SAITO 100 (THATS ALL I HAVE)
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
DHC8GURU

got mine in yesterday... great quality, within an hour I had 30% of the airplane assembled, very easy build, probably one of the easiest aircraft to assemble that I have encountered. I measure build quality and accuracy by how well the wings fit onto the fuselage. These slid right onto the carbon tube and the locating dowls lined up perfect with no trimming to get the wing to seat and the gap was perfect around the fuselage cutout and the wing root. The rudder is impressive it would make a salmon jealous. fuel tank needs to be another 100cc bigger (its a 240cc tank) just for a little extra run time. The covering is a great quality but kind of weird... after cutting out the various servo and other surface cutouts and retacking the covering inside the cutouts, I found that the covering would only tack down with a very low temp yet it liked higher temps for re-shrinking. I really like the way the canopy is large to give easy large access to the fuselage bay. If it fly's as good as it looks, this ones a keeper.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:23 PM
FlitonUSA

New Inspire 60 Acro video courtesy of Greg Milosevich. "This is the best flying airplane Fliton has made so far..."

Download Link (26mb, wmv format): [link=http://www.flitonusamedia.com/vids/Fliton_Inspire_60.wmv]Inspire 60 Acro Video[/link]
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

hey what props are ya'll running on this bird? i have a saito 82 tghat i want to use and wondering what is the best setup. looks like it has some wicked rudder/elevator authority! flight reports?????
Old 09-26-2006, 11:22 PM
BoneDoc

There's an active thread in the RCG under "Sport Planes". Use 15x4 with Saito 82. Rudder is almost as good as Showtime with SFG. Pops off into a wall easily. Harriers practically rock free.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
hoveralot

Do you think a 91FX and APC 15x4 will be too much for this airplane?? I really know how to use throttle so my main concern is weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.