Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

ULTRA RC KATANA XTREME - new release

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

ULTRA RC KATANA XTREME - new release

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KATANA XL - new release

I have one NIB I'd sell for $200 plus shipping.

Tumbler
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: JoeyCoates

Yep, so did I. I am still trying to decide on an engine though, even after reading through all 148 pages of the Giles thread!
For me, the Katana weighing a little under 10 pounds with an OS 1.60FX and Perry VP-30 pump make a lively and nearly ideal 3D combination. I use that same pumped OS 1.60FX setup in the Giles and the Katana. The Katana weighs about 3/4 pound less.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86058.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	788239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41664.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	788240  
Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 PM
skiman762

[/quote]
For me, the Katana weighing a little under 10 pounds with an OS 1.60FX and Perry VP-30 pump make a lively and nearly ideal 3D combination. I use that same pumped OS 1.60FX setup in the Giles and the Katana. The Katana weighs about 3/4 pound less.

[/quote]

So if you had to choose only one which would you keep the Giles or the Katana??
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
closetguy

i have a Dave Patrick 120 ultimate with a os 160 and weighs 12lbs. and it pulls the snot out of it,very fast unlimited vertical.so i think the 160 will work out great in the kantana.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: skiman762

So if you had to choose only one which would you keep the Giles or the Katana??
That's a choice I hope I'll never have to make because I might have to cry. I enjoy flying both of them immensely.

The Giles does some 3D maneuvers better than the Katana such as walls, elevators, inverted flat spins, and upright harriers. I believe I would keep the Giles.

Those differences may be related to CG location and control surface throw but I have not experimented with the Katana to find out. The physical difference in size may also account for performance not being equal.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 PM
JoeyCoates

Well I just bought a 1.60 with slimline muffler off of ebay for $225. I guess tis wil be the route I take!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: droosta

I wish I had seen this post earlier. I bought the Katana XL on the 10th, was charged on the 13th, and still no shipping confermation.

Did they ever send you anything?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
droosta

Skiman 762- Yes, I finally got a tracking number today (Oct. 23rd). After requesting one this past Sat. The purchase was withdrawn on the 13th and it wasn't shipped until today. Hopefully everything is in good shape because the thought of damage and a possible return is frightening! As stated above, they are doing business until they run out of product. I think you may be taking a chance purchasing from this company merely because they are going out of business and the priorities of the owners and any employees left would have changed.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

I have ordered one as well. After emailing Ultra RC a few times I'm confident that they will follow through with what they have promised. The only thing that I'm worried about is the quality of the remaining product. Apparently the factory sent them a pretty crappy batch of planes that they refused to sell and that is the reason for them going out of business. Now that they are closing out why would they care if they sold all those crappy planes? I hope that's not what is happening, but for $200 I don't really mind doing a little re-work.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 PM
JoeyCoates

I for one will be pissed if they send me a acked up plane, $200 or not. I can say that my credit card company will refund my money and then go after them if it is not good so as of right now I am not worried.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 PM
G.P.

From my experience with Ultra RC planes (two Giles) they always need some re-work. Mostly just tacking down the covering, going over everything with CA and doing some kind of mod on the gear. The reward for the minor work is a plane that is lighter than anything in the class, flys great and is a good deal. I just hope that these don't need more than that.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM
ULTRA-SALES

Skiman 762- Yes, I finally got a tracking number today (Oct. 23rd). After requesting one this past Sat. The purchase was withdrawn on the 13th and it wasn't shipped until today. Hopefully everything is in good shape because the thought of damage and a possible return is frightening! As stated above, they are doing business until they run out of product. I think you may be taking a chance purchasing from this company merely because they are going out of business and the priorities of the owners and any employees left would have changed.
droosta,

Sorry for the shipping snafu. Shipping to Canada with our new set-up is not the same as it was before. The problem is / was on our end. We have it resolve now and it was a learning experience. Now, regarding your other comments, you could not be farther from the truth. The only planes we are selling are the same quality planes being sold all along. The "defective" stock is already long gone and we are using the only salvage parts as replacement parts, such as cowls, canopies, landing gear, etc. So you will not have to worry about the product you are receiving. They are packed well, however you never know when these shippers need something to stand on in the back of the truck one day. jking!!!!!

I have ordered one as well. After emailing Ultra RC a few times I'm confident that they will follow through with what they have promised. The only thing that I'm worried about is the quality of the remaining product. Apparently the factory sent them a pretty crappy batch of planes that they refused to sell and that is the reason for them going out of business. Now that they are closing out why would they care if they sold all those crappy planes? I hope that's not what is happening, but for $200 I don't really mind doing a little re-work.
GP,

The facts are, we did indeed get royally screwed by the factory. They in essence cost the previous owners their business. All of the product has been thoroughly inspected and the batch of defective planes is long gone. As mentioned above, only the usable replacement parts were kept. The work you perform to your Katana should be minimal at best. Good luck with it.....I am confident you will thoroughly enjoy it.

I for one will be pissed if they send me a acked up plane, $200 or not. I can say that my credit card company will refund my money and then go after them if it is not good so as of right now I am not worried.
JoeyCoates,

No need to be worried. I am confident you will be more than satisfied with the Katana.

I'll check in occassionally to answer questions. Please contact us directly at [email protected] with any questions regarding orders / shipping / etc. Thank you.

Ultra-Sales
Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 PM
JoeyCoates

I will say that Ultra was VERY quick to answer all questions through ebay and so far they have been pretty quick on here as well. Maybe the new ownership will be good.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
skiman762

Well that's good to hear now I hope the put some more on ebay
Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 AM
G.P.

Thanks Ultra. It's good to see the company represented on here again. I'm glad that everything being shipped out is of the usual Ultra RC quality. I was exicited to receive mine before, but now I can't wait!

Keep up the good work and I think that Ultra could be turned around in no time (althought that doesn't sound like your intentions).

-Greg
Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 AM
droosta

Thanks Ultra, I feel re-assured I will be getting the product I'm expecting. As long as your not shipping MY plane to Canada!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 AM
G.P.

When I got home from work this morning there was a van in the driveway with a big brown box!!! The Katana arrived in excellent shape and everything looks great! The shipping was really fast compared to other times that I have ordered stuff from the U.S. Ultra RC even managed to squeeze a replacement Giles canopy in there for me.

Just to reassure everybody the Katana looks to be of great quality. It came with some nice wing bags (my second Giles from Great Hobbies didn't) and even some decals, which I wasn't expecting. I'm usually not a big fan of purple, but this plane looks sweet! The yellow with black trim really makes it come together. I would love to get a flight report for everyone, but it won't happen until spring. The weather here is turning for the worse and we also have a baby coming within the next few weeks, so things are going to have to wait.

Thanks again Ultra. I'm sorry that I doubted what to expect, but in my eyes you definately over-delivered. I hope that this is a sign of things to come. -Greg
Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM
reefHawg

I'm glad to see everyone is being getting their product and Ultra-RC is responding.

For me though I think my emails are not getting through. I ordered last Thursday (18th) and Ultra acknowledged indicated shippment the next day.
I email Friday for a UPS number, no response.
I emailed Monday for a UPS number, no response.
I emailed Tuesday for a UPS number, no response.
I emailed today from two separate email addresses incase one if blocked and still nothing.

Guys, have I been forgotten here?

My hope is that it shipped and they forgot to let me know the UPS number. I saw they have an issue sending to Canada (I'm in Ottawa) so perhaps that is the slow down.

geoff
Old 10-24-2007, 01:35 PM
closetguy

you know i orderd off ebay sunday and got tracking numbers on tuesday morning and should get plane thursday.
one other thing it's to bad that a factory that doesn't CARE about the quality of the prouduct that it put's out!! they have there hand's on the plans of some of the best 3d design planes out there,87"Yak,Giles,and the Kantana. those are the only one's that i have flown.
and not to mention the song and dance that they fed the guy's that sell them and the hard times that they put them through.
i just wish another factory with some pride in what they produce would have these plans.
ENJOY!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
reefHawg

Well isn't that just dandy. I order mine last Thursday and people are getting theirs after ordering three days later,..!!??
I need at least a crumb of info here. I definately think I fallen between the cracks.

Ultra-RC, I've sent about 6 emails with no response and a PM on RCU. You have my Money. Tell me it's on the way.

[]

ORIGINAL: closetguy

you know i orderd off ebay sunday and got tracking numbers on tuesday morning and should get plane thursday.
one other thing it's to bad that a factory that doesn't CARE about the quality of the prouduct that it put's out!! they have there hand's on the plans of some of the best 3d design planes out there,87"Yak,Giles,and the Kantana. those are the only one's that i have flown.
and not to mention the song and dance that they fed the guy's that sell them and the hard times that they put them through.
i just wish another factory with some pride in what they produce would have these plans.
ENJOY!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
G.P.

Of course it's going to take longer to get one up here in Canada. I never got a tracking number for mine. I rarely get tracking numbers when I order from the U.S. because they are useless. They only work until the border, so most companies are not willing to pay the extra $$$ for shipping that includes tracking.

Don't waste your money on the insurance either. I had to make a claim once and the only way that USPS would let me file one was to take the damaged goods into a USPS outlet...in the US! Kind of hard unless I want to drive 14 hours. I offered to mail the plane to them, but they wouldn't accept that because they wouldn't know if the damage happened on the return trip or the original trip. What would it matter? Anyways, long story short, you're pretty much gambling when you order from across the border. A company that is willing to help you out may pay for things out of their own pocket, but other than that you'll probably be s.o.l.

Just sit back and relax, I'm sure that your plane will be there within the next week.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
reefHawg

GP - You are probably right and I find it hard to believe otherwise. The most recent posts indicate that.
I am aware that it takes longer and I have no time requirement. It could take a month as long as I had some feedback. Also something to indicate it shipped.
thanks for the suggestion on insurance. this is my largest US mail order to date,... can ya tell

cheers,
geoff
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
reefHawg

Ok, ok,... confirmation it has been shipped. Sorry for panic posts. Thanks for info Ultra-RC.
geoff
Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
ULTRA-SALES

I'm glad to see everyone is being getting their product and Ultra-RC is responding.

For me though I think my emails are not getting through. I ordered last Thursday (18th) and Ultra acknowledged indicated shippment the next day.
I email Friday for a UPS number, no response.
I emailed Monday for a UPS number, no response.
I emailed Tuesday for a UPS number, no response.
I emailed today from two separate email addresses incase one if blocked and still nothing.

Guys, have I been forgotten here?

My hope is that it shipped and they forgot to let me know the UPS number. I saw they have an issue sending to Canada (I'm in Ottawa) so perhaps that is the slow down.

geoff
Well isn't that just dandy. I order mine last Thursday and people are getting theirs after ordering three days later,..!!??
I need at least a crumb of info here. I definately think I fallen between the cracks.

Ultra-RC, I've sent about 6 emails with no response and a PM on RCU. You have my Money. Tell me it's on the way.
GP - You are probably right and I find it hard to believe otherwise. The most recent posts indicate that.
I am aware that it takes longer and I have no time requirement. It could take a month as long as I had some feedback. Also something to indicate it shipped.
thanks for the suggestion on insurance. this is my largest US mail order to date,... can ya tell

cheers,
geoff

Geoff,

I will not be discussing anyone’s order information here in the threads in the future. I am making this one and only exception since Geoff is having problems receiving this information. Geoff, here is the email I just sent today. The plane is on it’s way. Hopefully we can put this all to rest now and move on. Thanks for your business.

Ultra-Sales

Geoff,

We have sent emails regarding the shipment. Apparently, you are indeed having problems with your one email account. Hopefully this information will make it's way to you. I will post on RCU and reply to your PM I just received as well.

Now, time to pull the reins back Geoff......sloooooooow down with all the panic posts. The Katana has been shipped. I mentioned the difficulty with the Canadian order processing in a post on RCU the other day. Here is your tracking number: 1Z25W19Y6894653441 As you know, your fellow Canadian received his order the other day.

You should be receiving the plane in a few days. I hope this information will allow you to feel at ease and relieve some of the tension. I am confident you will be more than happy with the product you are about to receive. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Ultra-RC
Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM
JoeyCoates

The more I read/see the more faith I have that Ultra-RC, or the new owners, are trying to turn things around. It would be nice if they could find a way to stay in business... []

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.