Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Yeh, I do not want to do any mods and add weight. I will use CF pushrods and it should be fine. RE. covering, you did not see my wings yet, those are real nasty.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

OK.... so you all say it HAS to have a 4 stroke or e-motor.... well I just happen to have this OS 61 laying around and its going in this critter like it or not. I just finished building one for my buddy in the e-version with the AXI so I will have something to compare it to.

Here are a few photos of the engine and the way I mounted it. It was a near natural fit to cant the engine to the 7 o'clock position putting the muffer neatly in the tunnel and making access to the needle and glow plug a snap.

I figure this motor wil spin a 14x4 wood prop no problem. A wooden prop willl spin up faster then a heavy APC so lets give her a whirl.

I also made a quick release hatch pin on my buddies plane. Much better then screwin and unscrewin the hatch every time batteries need to be changed so I made one for mine too.

enjoy....

Wayne Galligan
Attached Images         
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TOYMAKER

OK.... so you all say it HAS to have a 4 stroke or e-motor.... well I just happen to have this OS 61 laying around and its going in this critter like it or not. I just finished building one for my buddy in the e-version with the AXI so I will have something to compare it to.

Here are a few photos of the engine and the way I mounted it. It was a near natural fit to cant the engine to the 7 o'clock position putting the muffer neatly in the tunnel and making access to the needle and glow plug a snap.

I figure this motor wil spin a 14x4 wood prop no problem. A wooden prop willl spin up faster then a heavy APC so lets give her a whirl.

I also made a quick release hatch pin on my buddies plane. Much better then screwin and unscrewin the hatch every time batteries need to be changed so I made one for mine too.

enjoy....

Wayne Galligan

[8D] YOU GO BOY!! That looks great! Let us know how it turns out. I expect very well! I have been waiting to hear a flight report from you for about a month!! Lets go chop chop!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 PM
jfetter

I built one of these 3 weeks ago based on comments from this forum and a few other places, it is an absolute sweet plane to fly! I electrified mine of course (all my stuff is electric) and this plane just purs along, fast or slow it is very solid and agile. Anyone waiting to build one of these don't sit too long, I doubt you'll find anything that flies as nice in the same price range. I have heard (and seen) a good deal of warp and a few planes that shouldn't have been sold but I think that's the nature of trying to produce a product this lightweight, the wood is thin and let's face it, is there such a thing as old-growth balsa?

Here's my configuration;

- Axi 4130/16 w/ APC 17 x 8
- Jeti Spin 75
- FlightPower Evo 6S2P 5000
- Spektrum DX7 with the included 4 x 8102 Servos, 6V UBEC
- Stock hardware except Sullivan tailwheel, stock servo mounting (no pull-pull)
- Composite Battery Tray mounted above wing tube, battery can be moved forward or aft as much as you like, even change out the 5000 for a 6600 (I fly both), ultimate mounting for flexibility.

JFetter
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
MikeEast

[8D]
Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Hi there,

I maiden my Inspire today. Nice and calm day, 51F, study light wind. First, I was impressed with Cline regulator. Saito 82 start and work on any RPMs without any hesitation. I even think that my idle is better now. I put 15x4 APC prop. After take-off, a little trimming and it was a breeze to fly. It flies like a trainer, predictable, w/o any bad habits. Perfect loops and nice tight turns. When I tried rolls, they went very very slow. First, I thought I reduce servo’s travel to much (low rates), so I continue flying and after couple of minutes, I decided to land. After perfect landing, I checked ailerons and left one was not working at all, I lost push rod in the flight. It is a shame for me to say that, but I forgot to tighten them and use lock tight after I did final adjustments yesterday. I was noshes to fly it and I spend about a day putting it together, I know it is not an excuse but…..you know sometime you really want to fly….I should say with 1 working aileron this plane flight beautiful (may be I should not connect it back at all LOL). Ok I have about a week to fix those 2 push rods and try again. This might be my next favorite plane, I just need more time to try it out. P.S. Those nasty fingerprints inside the covering were almost gone after heatgun. Thanks for the tip Yohimby
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Basement Troll

There's a parcel waiting for me at the post office....... I think I know what it is....... I haven't put anyuthing together in about 10 months. Do you think I'll need to be retrained?
I've got a YS 63s, HS5475's all around (might put a 5645 on the rudder if I need tail weight) This should be fun.
Don
Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
tarheel2

Hi guys, quick question for all of you. I am about to glue in the horizontal stab, but I am having some alignment problems. THe right wing panel will not go in comletly into the fuse slot. The leading edge makes contact with the fuse first, leaving the trailing edge about 3 mm away from making contact with the fuse. The fuse looks straight, and I think the problem is the alignment of the internal wing tube on the right wing panel (the left wing panel fits perfectly).

The problem I have is that if I align the stab to the wings, it will be out of center if I measure against the fise and vice versa. Any suggestions???
Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 AM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: tarheel2

Hi guys, quick question for all of you. I am about to glue in the horizontal stab, but I am having some alignment problems. THe right wing panel will not go in comletly into the fuse slot. The leading edge makes contact with the fuse first, leaving the trailing edge about 3 mm away from making contact with the fuse. The fuse looks straight, and I think the problem is the alignment of the internal wing tube on the right wing panel (the left wing panel fits perfectly).

The problem I have is that if I align the stab to the wings, it will be out of center if I measure against the fise and vice versa. Any suggestions???

If that is really what your problem is, (right wing tube alignment) I would contact Fliton about it and see what they have to say. Can you take a picture and post it here?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
tarheel2

Thanks Mike, I will try to do so tonight...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 PM
jfetter

It's pretty easy to tell if it's the wing tube sleeve is out of alignment, simply use a smaller peice of tubing and put the 2 wings together (no fuse) and see if the leading/training edges align...

Jack
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: jfetter

It's pretty easy to tell if it's the wing tube sleeve is out of alignment, simply use a smaller peice of tubing and put the 2 wings together (no fuse) and see if the leading/training edges align...

Jack

Yeah, but I dont think that is something that you should have to "fix". I was thinking that if it is out of alignment Fliton will probably make good on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM
tarheel2

do you guys know a telefone number for fliton that is not an 888? I cannot dial 888 numbers from mexico. I can's seem to find their regular number anywhere.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:39 PM
tarheel2

Well, I called Fliton and they have a pretty good customer service. I was told that this problem may be due to some warping in the first rib or the fuse socket. I cam going to check it out as sonn as I get home. If this is the case I am going to give it a shot at fixing it. I hope I can get it done as replacement parts will take some time to reach me in Mexico.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Basement Troll

I just picked mine up from the post office. So far everything looks really good. I guess I better get at it.
Don
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
tarheel2

Here are a couple of pics. Please note that the wing is not pushed into the wing socket completly, it was purposely set flush with the socket at the leading edge for illustrative purposes. Please not the angle formed between the fuse and the wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78069.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	594370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88671.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	594371  
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
MikeEast

Here are a couple of pics. Please note that the wing is not pushed into the wing socket completly, it was purposely set flush with the socket at the leading edge for illustrative purposes. Please not the angle formed between the fuse and the wing.

Just curious, with the wing pushed in all the way on both sides did you try measuring out from the center of the wing chord to the tips and then from a reference point like the base of the vertical fin where it meets the turtle deck to see if these dimensions are the same on the left and right wing? If they do match its possible that the wing root taper be cut at the wrong angle? If so, then with an inset wing you might not have any problems. Just a shot in the dark.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: jfetter

I built one of these 3 weeks ago based on comments from this forum and a few other places, it is an absolute sweet plane to fly! I electrified mine of course (all my stuff is electric) and this plane just purs along, fast or slow it is very solid and agile. Anyone waiting to build one of these don't sit too long, I doubt you'll find anything that flies as nice in the same price range. I have heard (and seen) a good deal of warp and a few planes that shouldn't have been sold but I think that's the nature of trying to produce a product this lightweight, the wood is thin and let's face it, is there such a thing as old-growth balsa?

Here's my configuration;

- Axi 4130/16 w/ APC 17 x 8
- Jeti Spin 75
- FlightPower Evo 6S2P 5000
- Spektrum DX7 with the included 4 x 8102 Servos, 6V UBEC
- Stock hardware except Sullivan tailwheel, stock servo mounting (no pull-pull)
- Composite Battery Tray mounted above wing tube, battery can be moved forward or aft as much as you like, even change out the 5000 for a 6600 (I fly both), ultimate mounting for flexibility.

JFetter
What's your AUW with those batteries and what kind of watts you pullin'? I have to agree that this is one sweet plane! I am bummed, however, that the weather has been too cold or windy to bother with taking this plane out lately. Nice weather comes in short windows here so I usually just grab my mini and run down behind my house and huck it before the weather gets bad again, LOL!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

Just curious, with the wing pushed in all the way on both sides did you try measuring out from the center of the wing chord to the tips and then from a reference point like the base of the vertical fin where it meets the turtle deck to see if these dimensions are the same on the left and right wing? If they do match its possible that the wing root taper be cut at the wrong angle? If so, then with an inset wing you might not have any problems. Just a shot in the dark.
Agreed. However, even if the wings are aligned properly at the tips, that's a pretty huge gap at the root! I believe the leading edge of his rib is already inset against the fuse. I would send those pics to Fliton and get yourself a new wing...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
tarheel2

Thanks for all of your input. The wing is not pushed all the way in, it is set so the edge of the rib is just in line with the wing socket in the fuse. It has the depth of the socket remaining to go in. The picture was taken this way so you could see the angle that is formed (which should not exist). When you push the wing all the way in and the leading edge makes contact with the fuse, the trailing edge gap disappears visually, but the trailing edge is still the socket woth away from contacting the fuse.

I also compared the two wings and everything seems ok. I think I may have a warped fuse wich is causing an angle on the wing. It is strange how one of the wings does fit though....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM
tarheel2

Well Mike, you were absolutely correct about Fliton. Not only is this an excellent looking plane (and quality constructed even though I had a bad batch, you cannot hide imperfections with clear covering) their customer service is very impressive to say the least. I called them, they gave me some suggestions (which did not solve my problem) and they offered me to replace both the fue and the right wing panel. I have not dealt with a manufacturer with better customer service that this. I am sure that with the quality aircraft they are carrying and this type of service fliton will become a household name in the RC community. My hat's off to Fliton!

Too bad I have to wait another week to fly it... jejeje [&o]

Thanks for all of your tips.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

JFetter,

What's your AUW with those batteries and what kind of watts you pullin'? I have to agree that this is one sweet plane! I am bummed, however, that the weather has been too cold or windy to bother with taking this plane out lately. Nice weather comes in short windows here so I usually just grab my mini and run down behind my house and huck it before the weather gets bad again, LOL!
Bodywerks,

My flying weight is 110 oz (6.875 lbs) on the nose with an Evo 6S2P 5000 (I also swapped out the stock foam main wheels for 2.25 inch Dubro low bounce rubber plus I have the Sullivan Tailwheel with 1" rubber & metal hub). The Evo's weigh 28 oz each and I usually only put back in around 3000 MAh back in after an 8 to 9 minute flight. I can't complain about the weather down here in Miramar, Florida except perhaps the 10 - 15 MPH breeze that picks up after 10:00 AM daily. If you come out in the morning at sunrise, you'll see 75 degrees with just a a hint or air movement, nice!

Jack
Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Bodywerks,

Forgot to mention the power draw, I show 53A and 945W constant on the Whattmeter and MotoCalv 8 says I am losing close to 300W...

Jack
Old 01-10-2007, 01:04 AM
KenDobson

Anyone having problems with the lading gear? Mine has started splitting, few not great landings. Would like to put a carbon gear on any ideas?

Ken

ps this plane rocks!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: KenDobson

Anyone having problems with the lading gear? Mine has started splitting, few not great landings. Would like to put a carbon gear on any ideas?

Ken

ps this plane rocks!
Yes, I have had the landing gear split already. My Inspire sat at an angle (maybe 8 degres to one side) when I was done building it, looked like one of the gear struts was mis-drilled by maybe a few millimeters (causing one side to tuck under more than the other, but not that bad) so when I had a few harder than normal landings (by harder than normal I do not mean hard, just harder than the inspire will normally float in) I noticed the glass split at the bend down on both sides and the gear was sitting lower. The gear still worked fine, it looked mostly cosmetic but I had already ordered a new set for $12 because I wanted the plane to sit nice and even and ended up replacing them. Not 1 week later I split these as well, the only difference is I decided to wrap the top 1" of the bend with white electrical tape (wrapped nice) before installing them to prevent major damage in the future. My gear is split a little but works fine, the only thing I can think is the glass doesn't give and because it's so rigid, splits when the gear is flexed too far. If you find carbon gear that fits, please let us all know, I'll switch!

Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.