Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

I could use a new canopy for mine. The wind caught it one day and blew it off the table, scratching the canopy and engine cowl. [&o]
Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

Does anyone out there need new gear legs, a canopy, or hatch?
I could use the LG.
Phillip
Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
bbagle1

I have a cowl too.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

How much is shipping for the cowl and LG?
Phillip
Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 PM
wagen017

Patternman: sorry to hear your loss. I always hate it when these kind of things happen. Don't mind if it crashes when I flew badly, but otherwise....

For me, the Inspire is not made for any high speed whatever. I always fly it very slowly. It just doesn't seem to be made for high speeds. I use for that my pattern planes ! For what I have seen sofar, the Inspire is great for doing just that! If I would crash it now, I would buy it again, since what the plane is capable of is still quite apart from what I can do! Still much to learn!

Volkert
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM
patternman
My Feedback: (-1)

I guess I will buy a fuse replacement
I think I can repair the one damaged wing
I wanted to recover the wings anyways.
Seen any great recovers, other than the one in this thread?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM
plankdriver

for me, the Inspire is not made for any high speed whatever.
You are right, Although I like to fly mne fairly fast, that is about 45-55mph. Flutter seems to start around 60 to 65 depending on a few varialbles like servo slop, air temperature, and structure integrity. I had it happen at less than 40 when my tube structure came unglued. I guess high speed is a relative tern. Once I fixed both wings (read this thread 3 weeks ago posts) the I had no indication of flutter even at close to 60mph.

I am finnally settle on flying my YS63 with an APC 13X4W. The engine spools up instanteneously, pulls hard thru everything, plenty of speed to groove on the big manuevers and no overspped for the Inpire on the downlegs. Almost a perfect prop.

Contrary to what other(s) said, I think It groves almost as good as any pattern plane at the right speed.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 AM
wagen017

Patternman, I always fly it with a APC 14x4W (on Saito Fa-82). On a APC 13x8 it just doesn't seem right IMHO, too fast
Old 11-24-2007, 10:03 PM
xxspeed
My Feedback: (5)

Hi guys, had maiden today and flys as good as any plane i had. Used some of the tips on this thread, off set engine to the side, apoxy the wing in place and used a 12 oz tank, reinforced fire wall and landing gear area. Need on trim at all, great plane. dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15214.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	811014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40533.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	811015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24359.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	811016  
Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 AM
wagen017

XXSPEED: That is a great looking field you guys have over there. Nice setup with the table as well!!

What kind of engine/prop set up are you flying on your Inspire?

Volkert
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 AM
xxspeed
My Feedback: (5)

wagen017, Thanks for the kind words we fly at a golf course that was closed. I know this is over kill but the engine is a Evo 100, i plan to get a 3 bladed prop for it, i use a JR XP9303 2.4GHx radio. I going out to day for flight try some more stuff with the Insire.
Here a link to a jet rally we had this year. later dave

www.farviewflyers.net
Old 11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Heritage rider
My Feedback: (2)

Read the whole thread. Geting an Inspire 60 next week. Sounds like I will love it. Will be running 6v. Just crashed my Reactor, my fault. Seems to me I could use my HS 225's(67 oz) in the ailerons and my Fut 3050's(90 oz) or my JR DS821's(88 oz) in elevator and rudder. MAYBE the rudder might need more and I have a Hobbico CS70(133 oz). Rudder can't need more than that. My reactor was fine with the 3050's all around and the Inspire is about same size and weight. Will be using my Saito 82 with Perry pump. Seems to me a HUGE jump from Fliton site recommended 5245's for moderate flying to 5945's (rudder and elevator) for advanced. Strikes me that a Saito 100 would be too much for this plane so not sure I get the Advanced recomendations on the Fliton site. Flying sport IMAC and trying to do 3D.

My Guess is the 225's(1.09 oz) for Ailerons, a DS 821(1.5 oz) for Elevator and Rudder OR the CS 70(1.9 oz) for rudder give all the power at the least weight for servos I already have. What do you think?

The reactor flew good but the covering was s***. I sealed seams with Acetone but missed a couple. Too much oil on the wood to fix the last fuse damage. Used packing tape to keep it together. Have stripped it in prep for the Inspire. I think I will seal and spray the Inspire before flying. Don't know how you would get covering to stick to oil soaked balsa.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM
wagen017

Dave: Can't look at your flying site!!! It hurts my heart looking at such a beautiful site knowing I can't fly there. Here in the Netherlands one can only dream of such a site with that much space!

H.Rider: I fly as well with the Saito 82. I am interested in your pump setup. Concerning the covering: I probably do something wrong, but my Saito is really splatting around a lot of oil. Due to the clear covering I can see very well a lot of oil going under the covering at the exhaust side. I am thinking for this winter to rip the wingcovering and put Oracover on it instead. For the rest the covering is holding up fairly well. I did do a very thorough job with the hot iron beforehand though.

Volkert
Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Cody-RCU

ORIGINAL: Heritage rider

Read the whole thread. Geting an Inspire 60 next week. Sounds like I will love it. Will be running 6v. Just crashed my Reactor, my fault. Seems to me I could use my HS 225's(67 oz) in the ailerons and my Fut 3050's(90 oz) or my JR DS821's(88 oz) in elevator and rudder. MAYBE the rudder might need more and I have a Hobbico CS70(133 oz). Rudder can't need more than that. My reactor was fine with the 3050's all around and the Inspire is about same size and weight. Will be using my Saito 82 with Perry pump. Seems to me a HUGE jump from Fliton site recommended 5245's for moderate flying to 5945's (rudder and elevator) for advanced. Strikes me that a Saito 100 would be too much for this plane so not sure I get the Advanced recomendations on the Fliton site. Flying sport IMAC and trying to do 3D.

My Guess is the 225's(1.09 oz) for Ailerons, a DS 821(1.5 oz) for Elevator and Rudder OR the CS 70(1.9 oz) for rudder give all the power at the least weight for servos I already have. What do you think?

The reactor flew good but the covering was s***. I sealed seams with Acetone but missed a couple. Too much oil on the wood to fix the last fuse damage. Used packing tape to keep it together. Have stripped it in prep for the Inspire. I think I will seal and spray the Inspire before flying. Don't know how you would get covering to stick to oil soaked balsa.
Hope you like your Inspire. The 225's might be OK in the ailerons, they just don't seem to center very well. Also you will have to modify the mounts. I run 5475's all around on six volts, and 80 oz-in is plenty for the rudder. I've never had any blowback.

Also, I have a pumped 55AX in mine, it's awesome. My dad has a Reactor with a Saito 82 and the tank on the CG. He could never make it work well with a pump, so he took it off, and left the tank all the way back there. And you know what? It worked! It draws fuel that huge distance with no problems. You might not need a pump. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info Cody. I have a Perry pump on mine but it doesn't to pump all that well. I mean it works, but the engine never seems to run as smooth as it should (Saito 82). I think I'll take the Perry off and run it without it.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Heritage rider

Wagen, in case you have not already done so, make sure you have a fuel line on the crankcase nipple to vent oil away from the plane. I had an exhaust extension on a previous plane and it helped a little. I think the oil actually wicks under the covering if there is any space at all. I am going to give a lot of attention to sealing the seams on the Inspire. Worst case, I have used narrow packing tape to seal seams. Adds weight though.

Cody, thanks for the input on the servos. I think I will not use the 225's so I do not have to modify the openings (laziness) and I did not know they did not center well. Will use the lightest standard types I have for the ailerons and the DS821's for the rudder and Elevator. I appreciate the feedback about no blowback with 80oz rudder servo. I have some experience but not enough to know for sure how much power is needed for the Inspire. One thing I know is that if you use a 1.5 inch servo arm you will get only 2/3rd's of the torque the servo has to offer, assuming you use a 1" control horn. If you go to a shorter control horn you will reduce the torque more. I used 1" arms and horns on my Reactor, set the ATV to max and felt I had plenty of throw and power with my Futaba 3050's. Same size and weight range for the Inspire so I thought it should work fine. Experience beats guessing though.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Heritage rider

Wagen,
Foprgot to say I am going to try no pump first. If that does not work, I will try my Perry pump. I'll post when that happens.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Cody-RCU

Cody, thanks for the input on the servos. I think I will not use the 225's so I do not have to modify the openings (laziness) and I did not know they did not center well. Will use the lightest standard types I have for the ailerons and the DS821's for the rudder and Elevator. I appreciate the feedback about no blowback with 80oz rudder servo. I have some experience but not enough to know for sure how much power is needed for the Inspire. One thing I know is that if you use a 1.5 inch servo arm you will get only 2/3rd's of the torque the servo has to offer, assuming you use a 1" control horn. If you go to a shorter control horn you will reduce the torque more. I used 1" arms and horns on my Reactor, set the ATV to max and felt I had plenty of throw and power with my Futaba 3050's. Same size and weight range for the Inspire so I thought it should work fine. Experience beats guessing though.
Well, the available torque has to do with geometry, not just the length of the servo horn. It has to do with the length of the surface horn and the servo horn. Just set it up so that the maximum travel of the servo gives you the maximum throw of the surface. This will ensure the best resolution and the most available torque.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Heritage rider

Yes, the geometry is what I was implying by speaking of both the Servo arm and the horn length. Of course, alignment of the arm and horn play into that also. The calculations are easy because you just use lever calculations which are linear, if my ANCIENT math has not let me down. Anything beyond that I leave to the experts.

The servo's all give the torque in oz/inch (as far as I know). If the servo arm and the control horn are both one inch, you get the torque to the controlled surface as specified by the servo. What I DON't know is if that is initial torque or average torque or whatever. I do think they mean stall torque so an 80 oz servo could not actually operate a surface that pushed back with 80oz of resistance. It would be interesting to know what the output torque is when the sevo operates at it's rated speed. From what I have read, the servo torque diminishes as it gets warmer. I do not have first hand knowledge of that.

Due to your previous help I see no reason now to expect the torque requirements for the Inspire to be much different from the Reactor. In the end, I am much more interested in flying it than talking about servos, although I enjoy the technical side of this a bit also and would enjoy earing from someone who knows more than me (easy). I did not experience any blowback or sluggishness on my Reactor and you did not on the Inspire so 80 oz should do the trick. I have 133 oz available if it doesn't.

My Inspire arrives next week if all goes as planned.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Cody-RCU

Yes, the geometry is what I was implying by speaking of both the Servo arm and the horn length. Of course, alignment of the arm and horn play into that also. The calculations are easy because you just use lever calculations which are linear, if my ANCIENT math has not let me down. Anything beyond that I leave to the experts.

Due to your previous help I see no reason now to expect the torque requirements for the Inspire to be much different from the Reactor. In the end, I am much more interested in flying it than talking about servos, although I enjoy the technical side of this a bit also and would enjoy earing from someone who knows more than me (easy). I did not experience any blowback or sluggishness on my Reactor and you did not on the Inspire so 80 oz should do the trick. I have 133 oz available if it doesn't.

My Inspire arrives next week if all goes as planned.
Excellent, I hope you enjoy the plane as much as I do. Good luck!

I got a nice video of it this summer with the 55AX:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43391760095998
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
patternman
My Feedback: (-1)

matching colors
I dinged a wing. Want to recover in better covering, yet match the orange. The purple Ultracote matches. Is the orange flouresent Ultracote? It seemed too bright, but everything else is too dull.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Heritage rider

If you can't match the orange, maybe you could remove all the orange and use the Ultracote flourescent orange in it's place. My Ultracote Silver and white seem to match. I was told the covering was Ultracote but I am not sure about that.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
nitrofevr

how much extra power does the inspire have with a saito 82? i live at 6500 feet and would like enough power to get me out of trouble well. as well as hover low without power worries. i have a saito 91 and 82. my 82 will swing a 14x6 all day and the 91 will swing a 15x6 without missing a beat on magnum #1. and what does the 82 inspires weigh?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

The Saito 82 is plenty for anything with the Inspire 60. I got to fly one last weekend, it wasnt set up for 3-D ( elev travel was only about 30%) but it still would harrier with the right throttle setting. This plane had a wing tube failure but landed with minor damage. The owner installed wood in the center section of a new tube & is still flying it. Man, are they light, fly straight & true, I'm thinking of one with a .90 2- stroker! I had to dead stick on the very first flight, no problem at all, it penetrates so well, just keeps on going & going! Good god, the KE is perfect, its looks to be worth the extra $$$!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
wagen017

Hey, now it is for most wintertime. I am planning on doing some rework on the Inspire, new hardware for the linkages (I didnot like them from the beginning), a solution for the engine exhaust (now there is too much oil on the plane) and new covering for wings and stabilizer.

Maybe some others are planning this as well. Let's share our work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.