Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Seagull Edge 540 w/ Evolution 100 >

Seagull Edge 540 w/ Evolution 100

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Seagull Edge 540 w/ Evolution 100

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Edge 540 w/ Evolution 100

Has anyone had any problems with this setup? This is the first Evolution i've used and so far im not very impressed. I had a lot of problems getting the motor to stay running. I sent it back to Horizon and they told me it ran great, but when they recieved it, they had to lean it out on the bottom and top quite a bit. I tried sevral diffrent needle setting with no luck. Even new fuel line, new plug and new fuel didnt seem to help. Im wondering if the fuel flow is being restricted either by the tank not being far enough above the carb, or from the great planes quick fueler. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Seagull Edge 540 w/ Evolution 100

Check to see if the o'ring is located under the carb - there were a number of this engine that had it missing.
Apparently there were also some that had a leaking HS needle around the threads - they would introduce air. Apparently this was often fixed by putting some flexible pipe over the needle assembly rr by the use of sealing paste on the threads.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Hmm, I know there isnt an o-ring under the carb and I did find that a little odd. I looked in the manual to see if I could find one and I didnt see one. Thanks for you help. Maybe I can get horizon to replace the plane for me now since I did end up putting it in because of the engine...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 PM

just by chance was it inverted? I've had 4 evo motors and could never get them to run right inverted.My os and saito engines were easy to get running reliable inverted . I ended up giving the evo engines away .
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 PM

Yes, the engine was running at a 45 degree angle beween inverted and on its side. I had an issue with my .61FX that was ran inverted in my UCD 3d .46. The problem was solved when I ran a hotter plug in it. I just had to crank the head way up on the glow igniter to get her fired up. I thought this may have been the problem with the evo, but I ran a hotter plug in it with no luck. I also tilted the plane on a stand so it would run upright and it would still run bad. Its almost as if its either getting a huge air bubble when im at high rpm range but it loads up at idle...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Update:
The Engine was missing the Oring under the carb. Once I put a new one in, the engine ran flawlessly. I tried to contact horizon, but I havnt heard back from them yet...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM

It's about time they started to manually check each and every one of these motors before they ship them - this seems to be a common problem. a Simple o'ring missing, loss of a plane etc etc. Makes you wonder how come it "Ran great" what is the definition of that? (it started and ran for 10 seconds before we shut it down and sent it back to you?)

I think that the Evo's are great motors but it only takes a small issue like this and their reputation will be ruined forever - QUALITY CONTROL is what is required here people.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Another update:

On the ground, the engine ran perfect. I went to fly today and very shortly after takeoff, she died again. I didnt have nearly enough airspeed to land safely so she suffered quite a bit of damage. I still didnt hear back from horizon the first time I contacted them, so I contacted them again today. Im very worried they will not be willing to replace the plane that was damaged. Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21905.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	594434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99960.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	594435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47199.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.6 KB