Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3d aircraft set up help

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3d aircraft set up help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 PM
barger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3d aircraft set up help

hi just a few questions about large 3d aircraft1! hovering expensive models so low to the ground are they using gyros for help or just plane hours of practice? Also if youdont mind the large cannister exhaust with long fuse pipe extensions, is this for noise restricted fields? Looks like a lot of fun 3d flying . I am intermediate sport and considering 33& yak 54 from toc and a zenoah gt 80 any input on this choice as far as type of servo tourqe or just general proper set up would be great thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
stoney1451

Default RE: 3d aircraft set up help

go to don's hobby shop online and look at the gemstone books. they are excellent.
get the guide to gas engines and giant planes. http://www.donshobbyshop.com/

also go to troybuilt models http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ and look at the tips section as well
as the large scale aircraft section, there is a wealth of info available.

this will answer alot of questions....and btw those low hovers are a result of tons o practice and gallons of fuel.

peace!

s.g.t.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

You gettin ready to have some serious fun. I've heard of people using gyro's to help em hover but I've never seen it done. I just used my simulator and practiced until I had the feel right then went to the field and pretty much nailed it right off. It's really not that hard. As for a plane, I started out with the 50cc Wildhare stuff before going into 33%. It's great stuff, inexpensive and excellent to train for 3D. Hopefully Silversurfer will chime in here as he's a wealth of info on the subject and can make some good recommendations for those going straight to the 33% airplanes, (and other). Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

If you can hover a profile or foamie... you can hover larger aircraft (once you get over the sphincter factor)...

If you aren't proficient hovering smller models,... I HIGHLY suggest you get one and get to it...

Something know for esay hovering like a quality profile, U-Can-Do-3D, or some such... even smaller like an AirfoilZ Yak and few battery packs can do wonder.

Get yourself on the edge of some high grass and keep it LOW... instead of hammering throttle, get intot eh habit of droppping trittle and letting it drop into the weeds. (the foamy)

Initially panic sets in and people will hammer the throttle and try their best to get it out... when.n i fact they end up power diving it.

Practice full control in a hover top facing you.... by full control I mean sliding left so far... stopping... sliding right so far... stopping.

Then try 45 degree angles.... then 90... then 180 (belly toward you) Once you are confortabel with all attitudes and can manipulate the pane's pociton in each attitude, you'll have the confidence to do just about anything you want...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 PM
barger

thanks for the info fellas i guess the hover is just practice practice i fly a quarter sacle pitts with a g62 plenty of power just cant seem to hold the hover , short tail moment maybe or more practice i guess !love this forum its the fisrt time i have used it i fly alone so its great to talk to other modelers thanks agiain for the help.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:20 PM
T Erickson

A couple other factors...A dependable power plant is essential, usually turning a large diameter, low-pitch prop. Most 3D planes have wayyyy oversize control surfaces to direct this propwash at zero airspeeds. Also, having the CG as far aft as possible makes initial learning easier. Then, as others said, practice,practice, practice. T.