Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 PM
RoysterDW

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

ORIGINAL: Jag001

Hi all,

Just a quick question for those with already flying this model. Did you use the CA hinges supplied or did you change them out for a different style hinge?

Also I am curious is anyone flying theirs on a 23cc two stroke? I didnt want to go down the pathway of a gasser engine for this particular model as I have a 50cc yak which I am building as well. So I intend on using a Super Tigre G2300, I am curious as to others opinions on this ?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hey Jeff

Yeah mate, go the CA hinges but toss the ones that come with it a grab a bag of Great Planes or Sig CA hinges. Use pins to center the hinges and use ONLY thin CA with about 4-5 drops each side and let it run down into the hinge.

Cant help ya on the 23cc. Im going the 40cc SPE gas.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Jag001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roy,

thanks, so how is your's going? is it finished yet? and did you convert to two elevator servo's or one? If you used two did you have any trouble fitting em? a description of how you did it and some pics would be handy. I know there was a few posts on this in this thread or another one. However some of the pics are a tad average.

cheers,

Jeff
Old 08-26-2007, 05:01 AM
bjnginge

im still not sure which engine to go for!! i want to order but cant decide weather the 26CC will be enough or should i go for the 40CC and cope with the extra weight?how would the wing loading be?can anybody help me choose[]
Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 AM
nowinkk

ORIGINAL: RoysterDW

OK, which props are you using?

Anyone know where I can buy Xoar online?
I am using 18x10 master airscrew, classic series. It's a bit heavy but very tough. I hit the ground a few times and nothing happened.

Why not your try volk prop from Peakmodel. It looks cheap and good.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:43 AM
stew007

Given how lightly built these Extras are, I'd be looking at doing some reinforcing around the firewall if I were fitting an ASP 180 and certainly running the engine in on the bench so you can lean the needles a little (reduces vibration somewhat) before flying it.
Thanks, I ordered some birch ply to double up the firewall, along with the motor for this very reason, I'll probably beef up the joints with some epoxy and strips of kevlar E cloth. I already have an ASP 80fs, and it runs very smooth, and yes good idea about leaning it out first, i'll do just that. The firewall, I'm thinking to glue the new 3mm ply on with a 6mm layer of SikaFlex, should soak up quite a bit of vibes.

Stew
Old 08-26-2007, 10:43 PM
grossy2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

Flew mine first time on Sat.
Fly’s like a dream. First couple of flights were trim and engine tunning, then it was time for fun.
My set up is SPE 40cc up front, running a 20X8 Hawk prop. No cut out of the fire wall just spaced the engine so muffler clears. Running a 2000 Ma NiMi batt for engine just in front of Dubro 20oz fuel tank.
Running Hitec 645 mg on Ail, 2 Hitec 625 on Elev, I put spacers on the fuz so I could use 2 servos on elev. Lot better than using the connecting wire, plus you need the weight down the back.
Using a Tower pro 995 mg for rudder, have had no problems with this servo, but will not use them on a primary fight control. Have a 6V 2500 Ma NiMi for flight controls, this I placed in the fuz behind the canopy.
C of G is still a little nose heavy, but I like that for maiden flight. I will now move it back a little more.

Word of caution! I forgot how this engine bites. Make sure you have a thick glove when you start it. Choke on, ign on, flip with caution till it bites, choke off, couple of flips and it away. I got spoilt with the 53cc 3MM, when it’s warm ign on, 1 flip and it’s away.

Also keep an eye on the ign batt pack. I thought I would have more flight for the batt was getting low. I have a batt indicator on the aircraft and was down to the last green. Took off engine gave out and had to out land in paddock. Broken prop. Check bat, was in the yellow. Volts drop of to much the CDI will shut down.

Guys this fly’s well perfect with the 40cc. You will love it.

Cheers Grossy
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
fjaust

How many flights did you get out of the 2000mAH ignition battery before it died on you. I would have thought that 2000mAH would have been plenty for a full days flying.

I've got a 1500mAH for my Peak 45cc but haven't run the engine yet so don't know how much current drain will be.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
grossy2

I think it was about 8 10min flights on a 4.8V 2000 mah batt.
The reason I was only using a 4.8V Batt was due to weight. I use 6V on my other Petrol engines.
At idle I was on the last green, but at full power it was well into the yellow. I should of aborted then, but it was such a nice day and it flew great, I pushed for that extra flight.
Know better next time...

Cheers
Grossy
Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: Jag001

Roy,

thanks, so how is your's going? is it finished yet? and did you convert to two elevator servo's or one? If you used two did you have any trouble fitting em? a description of how you did it and some pics would be handy. I know there was a few posts on this in this thread or another one. However some of the pics are a tad average.

cheers,

Jeff
Just got my servos today so will start installing tomorrow. So no its not finished yet. I am taking my time, no rush. I have plenty of planes to fly anyway.

I'll have friend help install the 2 elevator servos for me and the pull pull as I havent done those before, but yeah I'll post up some pics.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:34 PM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: grossy2

Hi All,

Flew mine first time on Sat.
Fly’s like a dream. First couple of flights were trim and engine tunning, then it was time for fun.
My set up is SPE 40cc up front, running a 20X8 Hawk prop. No cut out of the fire wall just spaced the engine so muffler clears. Running a 2000 Ma NiMi batt for engine just in front of Dubro 20oz fuel tank.
Running Hitec 645 mg on Ail, 2 Hitec 625 on Elev, I put spacers on the fuz so I could use 2 servos on elev. Lot better than using the connecting wire, plus you need the weight down the back.
Using a Tower pro 995 mg for rudder, have had no problems with this servo, but will not use them on a primary fight control. Have a 6V 2500 Ma NiMi for flight controls, this I placed in the fuz behind the canopy.
C of G is still a little nose heavy, but I like that for maiden flight. I will now move it back a little more.

Word of caution! I forgot how this engine bites. Make sure you have a thick glove when you start it. Choke on, ign on, flip with caution till it bites, choke off, couple of flips and it away. I got spoilt with the 53cc 3MM, when it’s warm ign on, 1 flip and it’s away.

Also keep an eye on the ign batt pack. I thought I would have more flight for the batt was getting low. I have a batt indicator on the aircraft and was down to the last green. Took off engine gave out and had to out land in paddock. Broken prop. Check bat, was in the yellow. Volts drop of to much the CDI will shut down.

Cheers Grossy

Yahoo!!

Glad to hear about a successful maiden flight!! Glad you love the plane Grossy and with the 40cc.

I was going NiMh but Howie from Desert Aircraft warned me to stay away due to cell drop and since all the pro IMAC boys use 'em I thought good enough for this week-end hack.

How did you go with the 20x10 prop? Someone on this forum said its guaranteed you will break them due to the length of the under carriage?? I have a 18x10 APC but it feels heavy so I'll take it back and swap it for a 18x10 Zinger for run in??

Any pics mate??
Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 PM
grossy2

I am using a Hawk 20X8 prop. No problem with ground clearance and has plenty of speed.
Using a 10 deg pitch prop will give you to much speed and not enough pull.
The good think about a wood prop is if you have a mishap, the prop is the week link. Its best to replace a $20.00 prop than bent a crank shaft, or crack an eng casing.

Cheers
Grossy
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 AM
bjnginge

It's great reading your posts fellas,I,ve got the go ahead from the other half so i,ll order mine tonightI would love to see some pictures especialiy the two elevator servos
Old 08-29-2007, 04:55 PM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: bjnginge

It's great reading your posts fellas,I,ve got the go ahead from the other half so i,ll order mine tonightI would love to see some pictures especialiy the two elevator servos
Welcome to the club!!

Its a cinch to build but as with me if its your first large gasser then there is a learning curve. Also check out Flying Giants web site as the IMAC boys can be of great help when it comes to gassers, but be warned they spend mega bucks on gear and will recommend only the best. [8D]

I have my buddy coming over this afternoon to help me install the 2 elevator servos and the pull-pull for the rudder. Apart from a couple of ball links and 2 servo extensions I have everything to complete the model. If we worked hard we could maiden this week-end, but as I said I am taking my time and double (sometimes triple) checking everthing I do, so maybe in a couple weeks we'll be all systems go Houston.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 AM
bjnginge

ordered mine last night but they are all out of spe 40cc engines[&o]so i'll have to wait about 4 weeks aparently for the factory to supply more[]oh well i guess it will give me time to get servos and start the build.by the way what are you using for servos,i was thinking of going hitec metal gears.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 AM
bbagle1

I havent read this entire thread yet but has anyone put an OS 160 2 stroke on this plane. If the advertised weight of nine pounds is correct it should be a great match. For those of you who aren't familiar with this engine it will spin an apc 18x6w at 9300 rpm. What do ya'll think?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 AM
nowinkk

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

I havent read this entire thread yet but has anyone put an OS 160 2 stroke on this plane. If the advertised weight of nine pounds is correct it should be a great match. For those of you who aren't familiar with this engine it will spin an apc 18x6w at 9300 rpm. What do ya'll think?
I think the engine weight and power is not a problem. Only that fuel cost is going to be rather high if you were to use nitro engine instead of gasoline one.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 AM
bjnginge

i agree nitro is like liquid gold here
Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 AM
RoysterDW

Anyone have any tips on how to install a prop?

By that I mean how do go about drilling the 3 holes and keeping them aligned?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
fredstyle

Roy came across this site has some good gas tips check it out http://tech.flygsw.org all i'm waiting for is rcvrs so that i can maiden this beast.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
RoysterDW

Thanks fredstyle

Couldn't see anything on drilling props? Some nice articles though.

I still have heaps to do, also my other planes keep me busy as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:27 PM
fredstyle

This should help http://www.vessaero.com/ I had the same questions myself, my flying "mentor" gave me a good tip; which is to drill throurh the back of the prop that way the holes on the hub side will line up.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Timbba

Has anyone flown this plane with YS 110?

This plane looks like a copy of [link=http://www.hokusei-japan.com/products/products-extra260-26cc.html]Hokusei Model Extra 260[/link]...

On the video on Hokusei site it seems like YS110 has enough power to 3D this plane...
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
rc-plane

I am really thinking about getting this plane after I sell some stuff. It looks great!. I know I will be using hitec 645 mg and I need to know what batts. and what engine to use. This will be my first gasser. Is ther a combo with the extra and the 40cc? I guess thats really the way to go its not that much more.

The thing I REALLY want to know is will it fly slow? I have a plane that it stalls really easy and I really dont like it and it scares me so does it fly slow and land slow/glide (in case of a dead stick). I am thinking about starting IMAC stuff so how will this plane do it that and then later learning 3d and how does it 3d.

Be honest how are these engines? I have a ys 1.10 but I really want to try gas but if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

any suggestions?

thanks

rc-plane
Old 09-03-2007, 12:35 AM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

I am really thinking about getting this plane after I sell some stuff. It looks great!. I know I will be using hitec 645 mg and I need to know what batts. and what engine to use. This will be my first gasser. Is ther a combo with the extra and the 40cc? I guess thats really the way to go its not that much more.

The thing I REALLY want to know is will it fly slow? I have a plane that it stalls really easy and I really dont like it and it scares me so does it fly slow and land slow/glide (in case of a dead stick). I am thinking about starting IMAC stuff so how will this plane do it that and then later learning 3d and how does it 3d.

Be honest how are these engines? I have a ys 1.10 but I really want to try gas but if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

any suggestions?

thanks

rc-plane

Batteries - I am using NiCads, 4.8v for ignition and 6v for RX. Both have dual leads coming out of them. I purchased these through Desert Aircraft who are around the corner where I live and they recommended NiCds over NiMh batts.

Engine - I went for the SPE40. Mainly cost and its my first gasser so I wasnt going to spend 4+ grand on plane if I wasnt in IMAC comps. Yeah if money is not the issue. Buy a Comp ARF and a DA50 or DA85!!

As far as the plane goes check out the videos and study the footage. That will give you a lot of info. Plus you will see it WILL 3D even with the heavier SPE40 40cc engine.

Was also told buy fellow club members it is a well behaved plane.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:08 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: RoysterDW
Engine - I went for the SPE40. Mainly cost and its my first gasser so I wasnt going to spend 4+ grand on plane if I wasnt in IMAC comps. Yeah if money is not the issue. Buy a Comp ARF and a DA50 or DA85!!
You don't have to spend $4K.

I got into 50cc gassers for about US$1K with a cheap ARF 330L (90"), a DL50 (better than a DA50 and half the price) and my existing radio gear plus a handful of Hitec HS5955 servos.

Best money I ever spent, I'm loving it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.