Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best unlimited 3D scale plane?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Best unlimited 3D scale plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 01:41 AM
springcreek
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best unlimited 3D scale plane?

I can't afford a 33% or 40% airplane and I haven't seen too many 1/4 scalers with gas motors doing unlimited 3D. I have a 3W 60 on a repairable GP 1/3 Pitts that pulled the firewall out and destroyed half of the front of the fuse. I don't think this airplane would do the extreme 3D stuff like waterfalls, harriers, elevators, blenders, etc. that I want to do. I had a Sig 1/4 scale Extra with a G-38 that would hang on the prop but couldn't pull out vertically. That was my favorite airplane but still underpowered. (It met mother earth at an extreme angle following a botched recovery of an inverted flat spin.)
What would be the perfect airplane / engine combo in this price range that can do a tail touch on the deck and then climb out with a series of vertical snaps?
I prefer scale looking airplanes like Extra's and Edge's, so I'm not too big on the UCD at this point.
Your opinions please.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:59 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I had the chance to get a flight on a friends GP Patty Wagsatff Extra a few weeks ago. He had a BME 50 on it. Plenty of motor for any 3D you'd want to do.
I was suprised at how nicely this plane 3D'ed. Very solid.
He took this pic as I was flying it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	70259_60.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	42664  
Old 04-19-2003, 01:31 AM
TimDavie
My Feedback: (15)

Default 3D

it might be a little overpowered for the Airwild Edge. I had a 3.2 on mine and it did all the 3D stuff. Look for a plane with large, airfoiled control surfaces.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:00 AM
Striker

I wanted a 1/4 scale 3D planes as well, and decided upon the H9 Edge 540. The GP Patty Wagstaff 300S was my my first choice but then everyone was wowing about the Edge so I took that route. I will be putting the new ZDZ 50 (best power to weight ratio in its class) into this plane. I was a bit concerned about the weight of the Edge with the ZDZ 50 but after reading the latest RCM with the review on the GP Patty Extra 300S I felt better about this since it came out at 16.5 lbs, 32 oz/sq ft wing loading and was doing reasonably well 3D with a gasser. Wayne gave me some very good ideas and technical info regarding this as well. My Edge should come out at around 14 lbs, 29.35 oz/ sq ft. So in your quest for a good 1/4 scale 3D plane, your choice should include the GP Patty Extra and the H9 Edge 540.

Striker
Old 04-19-2003, 02:27 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I have flown two Hangar 9 Edges.
One with a Moki 1.80 and one with a Saito 1.80.
The Saito powered plane flew better because it was slightly lighter than the one with the Moki in it.
In both cases these planes rocked the wings considerably in High Alpha.
Is it controllable? Yes.

The GP Patty I flew was suprising because of the small amount of rocking.
I did an elevator with it and it just came down really nicely..
The small amount of rocking is VERY controllable...

Here is an elevator pic.

Thanks to SMALLFLY for letting me fly his plane!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71836_60.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	42665  
Old 04-19-2003, 01:06 PM
springcreek

Thanks for all your advice. After a lot of consideration and price comparing, I decided to save a few bucks and get some 3D "training" time on a U-Can-Do 3D. Once I get really comfortable doing 3D with this airplane, I might look at going bigger again.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:10 AM
sport10

I wanted to throw in the DP Ultimate Bipe using a YS 140L plus the 17x8 APC as a combo. This plane does great 3d out of the box. The harriers and elevators are rock solid with this plane not using any mixing. Using this engine the power is excellent with rocket like acceleration available on demand and the classic YS tranisiton and response.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:57 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Springcreek, I saw Wayne fly the GP extra, and it did better than I thought. However, I would look seriously at the Extreme flight rc lineup. I saw these planes at Toledo and I know the designer. These planes have considerable thought into them and I liked what I saw better than the Great planes stuff. Go check them out at www.extremeflightrc.com and best of luck. Jeff Williams
Old 04-23-2003, 11:12 PM
sizam

springcreek, why don't you think the GP 1/3 Pitts will do crazy 3D? Right now I'm zeroed in on getting the DP Ultimate but have been thinking about other planes, just a little.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:35 AM
springcreek

Here is why I don't think the Pitts Special will do very well at 3D. First, the tail isn't airfoiled. I think a scale plane needs the airfoiled tail to get the authority necessary for flying 3D manuevers. The tail is too short coupled for "stable" slow speed and high alpha type flying and the wing loading is way to high for the smooth transitions needed from forward flight to stalled flight. The wing profile is pretty thin compared to the planes that are successfully flying 3D as well. Finally, all of the flight controls are much too small for handling flight characteristics given only the prop wash. The DP Ultimate is probably much more suited to this flying style and would probably make an excellent 3D machine...after all, Chip Hyde won the TOC with a 42% Ultimate.
Anyway, I already got the U-Can-Do 3D and am hoping I can start flying this one this weekend.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:43 PM
sport10

The Dave Patrick Ultimate is awesome at 3D. I have seen this first hand. When my H9 Edge bites it this will be its replacement! The main problem with the pitts not being a 3D machine is not the wingloading or the tail not being airfoiled. It is the relative small tail moment and the lack of good size tail feathers. The wingloading on a bipe is a little deceptive. The wings look small but they sure to add up to alot of wing area. The tail not being airfoiled will not affect 3D at all. I have profile planes that 3D well and there tail feathers aren't airfoiled.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:30 PM
sizam

When you guys have seen a DP Ultimate and it was really wowing you, what engine was in it? I'm in on several discussions on what engine to stick in the DP Ultimate. Long story short it seems that the YS 1.4DZ is the best engine for the plane, the OS 1.60 in 2nd place. Has anybody seen this plane with the OS 1.60 on it, how did it perform? I don't want to put down $550+ on an engine that is going to suck down expensive glow by the bucket if I don't have to, but I don't want to half-ass my engine purchase either.

*sigh*