Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Fliton Extra 330S tracking issues >

Fliton Extra 330S tracking issues

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Fliton Extra 330S tracking issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 PM
My Feedback: (30)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fliton Extra 330S tracking issues

Guys,
I have bought Fliton Extra 330S. It is powered by OS 75 AX 2-stroke engine mounted in a 45 degree angle. I am using APC 14x6 prop with Model Tech 20% intro. Aircraft GC is balanced and model is laterally balanced too. It just took 5 grams of lead weight on the right wing. The problem I am having is that at test flight, model required lots of right trim to fly it straight. The right aileron is about 1/8 up travel from neutral position to fly straight and level. At this setting invert flight is also straight and model does not drop its wings. Also vertical flight is almost straight with just a touch of right rudder required.
Now model does not track straight in a loop. In the first few flights model required left aileron input to keep the tracking correct when coming out of loop. Then after couple of flights I added 10 grams of additional weight under right wing tip thinking that this would correct the 1/8 up travel required by aileron to fly the model straight. Now in a loop model requires left rudder input to keep the tracking straight when coming out of loop. I would like to know what could correct these two issues that I am having.
1. Model requires 1/8 of up travel of right aileron to fly the model straight.
2. Model does not track correct when coming out of loop. It either needs left aileron/ and or rudder to keep the tracking correct.

Regards
Asif
Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fliton Extra 330S tracking issues

I'd recheck that lateral balance.It sounds like your right wing is dropping and/or pulling it to the right because of that weight you added.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That also sounds like a large two stroke for that plane maybe? If you have it slanted 45 deg to the right, I would think it would shift the lateral balance to the right, even without the added weight. Perhaps mounting inverted or upright would help.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asif ... about the right aileron, that is a manufacturing issue, might be the wing incidence, slighly warped wing etc, that is normal with ARFs. Can't do much about it.

Now, if the plane is not flying straight in a loop it can be a few things:

i. wrong entry into the loop
ii. elevator halves are not giving equal throw
iii. insufficient or too much right thrust
iv. improper lateral balance

Try to check on your right thrust, most planes need more than what is bult into the firewall.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 AM

Guys,
Thanks for your reply. I will check my elevator halves. But let me assure you that my lateral is 100% correct. I will once again check right thrust.
Thanks
Asif
Old 05-31-2008, 03:51 AM

walleyeyevision,
OS 75 2-stroke is not a big engine when compared to Saito 110 that quite a few people have used. I think there is something else going on.
Regards
Asif
Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asif ... I have seen the 330 Freestyle with the Saito 100, its nuts. I heard in Singapore one guy put in a YS110, never seen it fly but I wonder how he kept the engine from ripping the firewall off.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 AM

Tianci,
That is lots of power for such small aircraft!!!! Not to mention lot more viberation for such large motor.

Asif