Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Vectorflight 540

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Vectorflight 540

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Calflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vectorflight 540

Steve, if you look at their frequently asked questions page, the first thing they talk about is value and low prices and how they do it. Also they have a really good sale going on and that may explain their low prices.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Steve Campbell2

Default Vectorflight 540

Yeah, I read all of that. From what I know of the business, the shipping and import duties, etc., are not nearly as high as North American labor costs. Plus, that contest balsa is VERY expensive, due to the hand-sorting needed to find it in a bunch of rough-cut planks.

Ah, I'm probably chasing imaginary gremlins. It could be that these guys are operating at a loss to get their reputation established- which makes good business sense in the long run. I guess I'm just paranoid because of all the corner-cutting and bottom-line improvement tactics we see these days.

This company just might be one that gives a hoot about their reputation and their customers.

Steve
Old 06-12-2003, 09:38 PM
westside

Default Bad Day

Well I decided to fly my plane today for the first time. I tuned the motor in and got everything ready for take. I took off in about 30 feet and went to the sky. I trimmed the plane about 1 click left and 2 clicks down and began to fly in an oval pattern to get the hang of the plane. The plane turns very fast and handles well. I then began to notice that my wings wanted to tip stall at lower speeds. So I took a few more laps and decided to land the plane to see what was going on. I began my decent and a powerline grabbed the plane as I came in a little to low. The plane fell to the ground and wasn't really damaged that much. The cowling broke and so did the wheel pants. Also I lost one of my tail wires but I have more. Other than that I got the plane back in 1 piece. I am wondering what would cause the wing to tip stall. I am running an OS 1.08FSR with a 15x6 prop. I have the CG slightly forward from the factory set position.

-Brian West
Old 06-12-2003, 10:24 PM
David_Moen

Default Vectorflight 540

Ouch! Nothing worse than a bad maiden flight!
Old 06-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Calflyer

Default Vectorflight 540

Hey, this stuff happens! Brian, I am thinking your CG forward of the recommended range may be making the airplane too nose heavy and tipsy at slow speeds. Also the weight of the 1.08 may be creating a high wing loading which together with a forward CG will make it prone to sudden stalls during slow speed aileron inputs. These airplanes have narrow wing tips unlike wide tips of the 3 D airplanes, which resist tip stalling during slow flight. My experience with the CG at the aft end of the range makes this plane actually difficult to stall even at low speeds and high angle of attacks. Try getting the CG in the recommended range if possible by moving everything back, and reduce aileron down travel. Too much down travel of the ailerons is a big cause of tip stalls, as it is moving in a high pressure area under the wing and creats lots of drag. Good luck with getting it back up in the air! From your post it seems that it flew great and was super responsive. That was my experience too.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:34 AM
JVB
My Feedback: (2)

Default VF Edge Engine??

How do you guys think the VF Edge 540 would perform with a .76 size two-stroke? I am thinking of using a GMS .76 but want to make sure it will be enough. I am going to be using it for entry level type aerobatics, no 3d stuff. I could jump to the .91 two-stroke level, but the price goes up quite a bit. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Calflyer

Default Vectorflight 540

Well, the 91FX hauls this bird around with ease at 1/2 throttle most of the time. Youll use some more throttle with the 76, but it will fly fine.

After some more flights this airplane continues to impress, feels like a well greased machine, responds very quickly and smoothly. I am still flying with lower rates bcause the response with full rates are a bit quick. Maybe I will reduce travel at the links.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Vectorflight 540

I have one on order and will be doing a review like the one I did on their Extra. http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...a300review.htm

I will let everyone know when it is available.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:54 AM
David Cutler

Default Vectorflight 540

Those of you who have finished building the Edge, do you reckon it's wise to fit tail strengthening wires? How strong does the stabilizer feel?

-David C.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:46 AM
Calflyer

Default Vectorflight 540

David, I did. But just because I was a bit jittery after hearing about some other airplanes in these reviews. For the most part I think they would be redundant, as the tail plane feels strong and thick, but you never know when a really tough routine might take shape! I think it is a safe bet and if you have some time, why not do it just for added safety. I also added some balsa triangles on top and below the elevator to make the joint strong.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:33 AM
westside

Default Vectorflight 540

The plane was very responsive and I have nothing but praise. The plane is almost ready to fly right now and I only put about an 1 hour in it to fix it. There was minimal damage. I am going to move the CG back as it was about an 1" forward from the rec's. I will add some weight to the tail as this plane flew pretty fast at 1/2 throttle. In fact the plane pulled vertical at a 1/2 throttle. I think the CG is the problem as there isn't very much weight difference between the 1.08 and the .91 FX. Thanks everyone. Also VF is sending me new wheel pants and a cowling. They are the greatest for Customer Satisfaction.

-Brian West
Old 06-15-2003, 02:55 AM
David Cutler

Default Vectorflight 540

I think I might have now decided to use my Saito 100 (instead of the 91FX), which sounds as if it might produce a good CG, as the Saito is about the same weight, maybe a bit less as the muffler is a lot lighter.

It's interesting that the CG is so critical, but hardly surprising I suppose, if the model is so sensitive.

I have to clear the way to assembling mine, as I am still making two scratch built models at the moment!

-David C.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 AM
sydwys

Default Vectorflight 540

Can you guys post some flight times with the supplied fuel tank and various engine implementations talked about here. I have the 300S 66" which came with a 12oz fuel tank and am wondering what sort of flight times I should expect using a Magnum .91 2 stroke.

~Noah I.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vectorflight 540

I have a 91 4-stroke wanting a new home (dislike the T-34 I have) and was looking at the seagull extra (Same as the Graupner from what I hear) and stumbled across VF and the Sukhoi is looking real good, My flying buddies have a extra and one has a Edge and I want something different, Hope to hear some reports on this one.

David_Moen How is the repair going on your Ultra sport, Loving mine with the 63FZ and so far so lucky with my retracts, Still in the break in period though... Can't wait to lean it up a touch and get that YS power HEHE

Dauntae
Old 08-06-2003, 06:39 PM
David_Moen

Default Vectorflight 540

My 66" Extra was supplied with a 14oz tank. Although I've onl had a couple of flights, it seems that I was burning about half a tank in a 10-13 minute flight with my Webra 91.

The US 40+ is benched untill I get a new wing built for it, probably this winter...
Old 08-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Joe Trinkley

Default Vectorflight 540

this is the first thread I have found on an airplane where there is almost no, if not no negative remarks about an airplane. Although I suspect calflyer has alterier motives about his very gracious comments...hmmm.. but I'm sold, going to order one this weekend and take everyones advise about the tail wires just for safety, sounds like a great plane. I hope I'm as much impressed with this company as I am World Models!

Thanks guys
Old 08-15-2003, 03:34 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vectorflight 540

Jow I have an older 58" Extra 300 from VF and its an awesome plane! Its currently on the bench and it needs repairs due to a crappy engine otherwise I love the plane. Need CG set correctly and a solid engine like any other aerobat and its a real performer.