Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D TRAINER - PROFILE???

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D TRAINER - PROFILE???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D TRAINER - PROFILE???

Well Ive been looking for something new, that perfect plane which will make me the best 3d pilot ever! Well after reading a few posts I think I might have realized that I need to focus on my 3D training first, move on to better, bigger, nicer planes later. Am I on track here?

So it seems that many recommend profile planes for 3D. The thing is I dont want to go into this type of plane with an expectation that wont be met. I am looking for a plane which will help me learn, practice and perfect hardcore 3D. This is the direction I want to take.

I have looked around and seen a few. Im looking for a great flying plane(of course) with a removable wing(important).

Ive looked at Precision Aerobatics Bad Boy V2, OMP, Swanys House and the H9 tribute. Somehow I have a feeling the Tribute will probably not get the popular vote here. What do you guys think of these? Any experience/tips? Is this a good way to learn hardcore 3D and transition the lessons back to full fused planes? Open to other suggestions.

I have an OS 46AX to use for this possible Project. Prefer an ARF, and removable wing.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
KWJ48

Default RE: 3D TRAINER - PROFILE???

Arf with removable wing = omp edge 540 = good 3d trainer
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

Arf with removable wing = omp edge 540 = good 3d trainer
I agree. I have OMP Edge also, but it really needs a larger engine than a 46. A 55 would be better. I run mine with an OS .50 Heli engine. There is a big difference between my heli engine and the .46, which I originally used. The difference being that when you are lowering the plane in a hover, the larger engine has the power you need to instantly stop the descent. I am not recommending a heli engine I think a 55 would be fine.
You also might consider an electric profile or foamy. They are generally cheaper and easier to repair. Hovering takes 2 things. One is skill, the other is courage to bring it in low and close. The smaller electrics are not as intimidating.

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:16 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

OMP Edge 540 or OMP Pro Yak hands down. These ARF's come with the option to keep the wings removable or glue them permanently. Unlike Mojo's that require extra parts to make the wings removable. I have been flying mine with the 46AX for the whole year up until this point, I have gotten better with the hovering and Im about 7-10 feet off the ground now. So, I wanted a little more power to get out of trouble quicker since Im alot lower then when I started off. But the 46AX will do you good for a while. And make sure you use a 6v battery pack, you want your servos as fast as they can be. When I first started off I had trouble improving my hovering because my servos weren't quick enough to compensate for my lack of experience.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 AM
Amir_Masoud

Hi All

And

You can think about OMP Katana V2.46

it is very nice 3d trainer with removable wings 

Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 AM
nk3t

I owned a PNP Tribute with the Evolution 36 engine. I was a lot of fun, but not worth the money. It was grossly under-powered. The evo engine would not hold a tune, and holds the record in my hanger for the most dead sticks. The Tribute airframe is very fragile built up balsa which will break at the slightest hint of a hard landing. The landing gear is so soft, that it forced me to harrier into a landing gently in order to take off again without re-bending the landing gear.

Once I bought a Mojo from SwanysHouse.com I sold what was left of the Tribute. The Mojo has a carbon fiber tube that allows for rough landings, and a Saito 82 gives more than enough power to pull out of trouble. It is not an ARF, but the kit is a very easy build.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Amir_Masoud

[img]C:\Shomal Ardabil\man[/img]
Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
nitrofevr

mojo moass 60, saito 100. awesome trainer and also awesome for the experts. You cant loose with this plane. Its kit only but you can get the removable wing option.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
ro347

FYI... MOJO 40 now available as an ARF.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
beachbrada

The Mojo ARF was also available back in February so I ordered one. When I got it I had a change in mind, the covering job wasnt the greatest, and there was a couple extra steps to complete, to include gluing in the fiberglass tube in the fuselage. Another reason I wasn't too fond of it was because it didnt have the option for removable wings right out of the box, I would have to order extra parts to do this, the extra parts are another $35. Another thing I didnt like was that the ARF doesnt come with a complete hardware setup to include control horns and pushdrods, etc. After looking up the hardware I wanted it was going to be an extra $20(for ball links and threaded pushrods, etc) And I do like the OMP covering schemes over the plain looking Mojo ARF covering it came with. So I boxed everything back up and sold it in the marketplace to get my OMP Edge 540. While I never flew a Mojo, I wont argue with anyone out there that its probably a great flying profile plane, but in my head I doubt that its that much better than a OMP to want to spend the extra $55 to get the plane in the same flying condition that the OMP comes right out of the box. However I will make one positive remark about the Mojo 40 ARF, from what I remember about it, it did seem like it was going to be a slightly lighter plane when it was all put together.

As you can see we can argue about Chevy's and Ford's all day. You just choose one you like.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
ro347

ORIGINAL: beachbrada

The Mojo ARF was also available back in February so I ordered one. When I got it I had a change in mind, the covering job wasnt the greatest, and there was a couple extra steps to complete, to include gluing in the fiberglass tube in the fuselage. Another reason I wasn't too fond of it was because it didnt have the option for removable wings right out of the box, I would have to order extra parts to do this, the extra parts are another $35. Another thing I didnt like was that the ARF doesnt come with a complete hardware setup to include control horns and pushdrods, etc. After looking up the hardware I wanted it was going to be an extra $20(for ball links and threaded pushrods, etc) And I do like the OMP covering schemes over the plain looking Mojo ARF covering it came with. So I boxed everything back up and sold it in the marketplace to get my OMP Edge 540. While I never flew a Mojo, I wont argue with anyone out there that its probably a great flying profile plane, but in my head I doubt that its that much better than a OMP to want to spend the extra $55 to get the plane in the same flying condition that the OMP comes right out of the box. However I will make one positive remark about the Mojo 40 ARF, from what I remember about it, it did seem like it was going to be a slightly lighter plane when it was all put together.

As you can see we can argue about Chevy's and Ford's all day. You just choose one you like.
I was just putting it out there. Ive made my choice on the OMP - as of now anyway(I dont even like profiles....Im just looking to greatly improve my 3D skills for my full fused planes). Please let us know of your comparison between Yak and Edge once you get it in the air. I know a guy....so made sure you get sunshine and calm winds this weekend.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
beachbrada

LOL......hey you won't know if you like it till you try it......as a wise man once said. Hey if there is a cult out there that worships profiles then there must be something going on...a.k.a. Profile Brotherhood(PROBRO for short). Watch this video until the 1:41 mark for the real fun to start: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nnYncvrf_0&feature=related]Click Me!!!!![/link] Heres another cool video: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2LsMltjCQ&feature=related]Click Me TOOOO[/link]
Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Amir_Masoud

My Katana 46 with Webra 55 Black head

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61981.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1288534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53797.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	1288535  
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM
beachbrada

Hello Amir you look very good at flying, is there many other Iranians that fly?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

That second vid from Nashbash was awsome and the editng was great! What a blast it looks like!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Amir_Masoud

Hello Amir you look very good at flying, is there many other Iranians that fly?
Dear beachbrada

Hi

No they aren't so much...
Just about 3 or 4 person.

Good Luck

Amir
Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
borko1
My Feedback: (4)

Nobody mentioned the Extreme Flight, Pro Bro approved, Chinn Yak 55SP. I've been flying it a few years now and think it's awesome. The trick 3D setup is a Saito 82a with a 15 x 4W. It's a 3D animal. It's a 40 size but the wing needs to be glued in.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
borko1
My Feedback: (4)

Oh, one more thing, even though the wing is fixed it fits easily in a small car
Old 10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
jerrysu29

Any of the 40 60 size profiles are good biginner level 3D birds the thing to keep in mined is price and availability. They all fly nice gets back to personal preference same goes with servo's radio's engine's linkage setup's ect ect!!!!. bottom line pick one out and practice, practice, practice, practice, have fun fun fun fun fun don't get any better then that
jerrysu29 Call Sign Wild Man
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44014.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1292105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55179.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1292106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50487.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1292107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27335.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1292108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp84132.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1292109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh64511.jpg
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1292110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr24459.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1292111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed11324.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1292112  

Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
SkaBob

The OMP ProYak with a 46AX has been my trainer since I started flying, and has let me go from basic flight training all the way up to wild and crazy 3d madness.  The removable wings will even let me take it with my in my little subaru when it's full of other stuff!

One note for the wings:

The carbon wing tubes on mine were a PAIN to get into the holes in the wing to get it all together at first.  I had to file them down (ie- bevel the tips) some and practice a bit to get used to how they'd go in, and to help them fit better.

The 46AX provides unlimited vertical, and hovers below half throttle.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:07 PM
JoeFly43

Those are great recommendations! Let me throw one in... DW Foamies 48" BAF YAK 54. I know this is electric, but your learning curve will be shorter. THEN move on to one of the other great airframes recommended in the post. Don't overlook the great products at 3D Hobby Shop!

http://www.dwfoamies.com

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com

Best of Luck!

Fly Low
Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
beachbrada

I like the look of the DWS foamies, how strong are they??
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
beachbrada

I just got a good weight with the Saito 82 on my Pro Yak. Im sitting at 4.5 lbs exactly which surprised me since i thought it was heavier than that. But once the engine is broken in and tuned this setup should be unstoppable. ro347. when you gonna pull the trigger?? Heres a vid I found on youtube, its not me. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbTa_6B9dQ&feature=player_profilepage]Pro Yak[/link]
Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM
ro347

ORIGINAL: beachbrada

I just got a good weight with the Saito 82 on my Pro Yak. Im sitting at 4.5 lbs exactly which surprised me since i thought it was heavier than that. But once the engine is broken in and tuned this setup should be unstoppable. ro347. when you gonna pull the trigger?? Heres a vid I found on youtube, its not me. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbTa_6B9dQ&feature=player_profilepage]Pro Yak[/link]
Thinking about it really hard. Being that the winter is coming and wont be going down to the field as much, been thinking of a PA electric since I live right behind a park. Figure I might be able to get more stick time this way. But havent decided yet. Give me another week and Ill know for sure what im doing.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 PM
ro347

Beach you listed your weight at 4.5lbs. My calculations show that the 46ax would result in the same. Now calculating with a 12x4(would be Xoar) , im coming up with about 8 lbs of thrust. Shouldn't this be good for 3D? I would assume it should be enough for pullout too....but not sure. What are your thoughts?

What prop were you running on the 55ax, at what peak rpm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.