Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Flyer Servo Problem

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Flyer Servo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
RCModelAirplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Flyer Servo Problem

I have built an airplane capable of 3-D performance. It was suggested by the designer to use servos that have at least 60 in/oz of torque. I purchased four servos to meet that need. Now I find, when all controls are used, such as during a spin, the current draw through the RX is so high it makes the servos glitch to the point of a possible crash. How do I get past this concern? Power distribution ? what can be done ? What do the people use that fly quarter scale type planes ? How do they get around this "high current" concern? Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: 3D Flyer Servo Problem

Try looking into a UBEC. This replaces the on-board BEC within the ESC. You should be able to get one that will supply enough current for all servos working at once.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM
RCModelAirplanes

Thanks for the quick response. It's is actually happening to my friends airplane, so I will tell my friend to do that and let you know if it doesn't work. Thanks again
Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

What brand of radio is the problem with?

Greg
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, jzrf6c is right on the money. The built in BEC in the speed controll is not meant for the high loads these larger servos can draw. Depending on the current draw of your servos you can can use a UBEC as he mentioned (probably good up to about 5 or 6 amps) or a regulator which can be sized as needed.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 AM
RCModelAirplanes

The radio actually doesn't have a problem, it is the servos that are having the problem. My friend is going to try your suggestions and let me know what happens. You guys are probably right though, thanks for the assistance
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason he asked about the radio is because high servo load can cause the available voltage at the receiver to drop below a threshold value and the receiver then "locks out" causing loss of control. Of course when the servos stop moving the voltage goes back up, the receiver starts working again and the cycle repeats making it appear like it was a servo problem. Some receivers are more prone to this issue than others.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
RCModelAirplanes

Oh I see Jezmo, thanks for the info. I never knew that!