Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Flyn' the H9 Funtana Set up's and Mods

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Flyn' the H9 Funtana Set up's and Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:06 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyn' the H9 Funtana Set up's and Mods

adrian: How far back is your CG?

TIA,
-Tom
Old 08-15-2003, 04:17 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Prop

I was wondering the same thing Tom just asked. I had my CG at 6.25 on the last flight and at significant speed it would just hold level (knife edge) flight. I was wondering if on top of the CG if we should be asking what engine/prop combination people are running that are reporting good knife edge. Could prop blast be helping the people with good knife edge characteristics?

Tom, I know you have a Saito .91 in yours with a 15X4 I assume. How is your KE? (BTW, I love your(my) CF gear)

Bill
Old 08-15-2003, 05:17 AM
adrian-RCU

cg at 5.7 (145cm) saito 91 with 14x6 wood, took off the 15x4 spool up to slow. will test a 14x4wood just to see on weekend.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:41 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

That is very strange. Adrian, your CG sounds too far forward to obtain very good KE performance. It seems that some Funtanas will knife edge very well and some simply won't...independant of the CG. Weird. I'm wondering if everyone is using an adequate servo to reduce 'blow back' and getting full travel out of the rudder. Who knows...

Bill, I'm actually using a MA 14x6...I haven't really needed any more thrust than what the Saito 91 and aforementioned prop already delivers. I'll most likely put an APC 15x4W on it and try it out. The MA spools up very quickly which I like.

I may have mentioned this in another post, but my KE performance was very good with my CG at 6" and noticeably better with the CG at 6 1/4". A considerable amount of mixing had to be done to counteract the 'tuck and roll' at extreme rudder travel. KE loops are possible with the CG at 6 1/4". I'm going to start going nuts with the CG...possibly as far back as 7".

I can sustain a decent hover with this plane but is seems like I have to put in alot of effort. Every other aerobat that I've had in recent history seems easier to hover than the Funtana. I'll probably change my tune after I do some more CG tweaking. So far I suppose I'm happy with the Funtana but I'm not overjoyed. Time (and some work) will tell. OTOH, I'm absolutely CRAZY about my new 72" GSP Katana! WOW what a performer...

I'm glad you are happy with the carbon fiber landing gear! What will really amaze you is their durability...though I hope you never have a situation where durability is an issue!

-Tom
Old 08-15-2003, 11:39 AM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

I noticed a HUGE improvement in KE when I switched the .46 for a .61FX. KE loops are not a problem but still not like a TopCap or Extreme in KE flight.

I thought I was the only one who weighs foam??? Different brands do indeed have significant differences in weight.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Abraxxas

I weighed my foam too, and the 8-32 nut style assortment I have to find which ones are the lightest. I have 5 of the same sized foam tires of which I used two and found that between the 5 same tires, there was a 2.3 gram spread!!! I found the lightest one and shaved another to match I too fit the profile
Old 08-15-2003, 03:28 PM
bpryor

Default KE

Tom wrote:

"I'm wondering if everyone is using an adequate servo to reduce 'blow back' and getting full travel out of the rudder."

That's a very excellent question Tom. That had crossed my mind, but since I had a 89 oz servo, I figured that would be plenty. Maybe not. Maybe I should throw in a big digital and see what happens. The results could answer a lot of questions. I'm going to need to move some weight back anyway when I put the Saito in. Bye, Bye pull-pull.

Adrian, what servo are you using on your rudder?

geoharry wrote:

"I noticed a HUGE improvement in KE when I switched the .46 for a .61FX"

Maybe my prop theory has some merit too. I'll find that out too on my next flight.

Tom wrote:

"I'm actually using a MA 14x6.."

I'm starting with the 15X4 because it seemed to be the prop that most people were happy with, but I don't like the weight. I'll be bringing along a couple of wood 14"ers to try.

Tom, I'm sure the CF gear will take a beating. I'm sure the mounting block will give before the gear. BTW, I'm not having any issues with the strength of the gear block on a grass field. I didn't do any mods to it because I didn't want to add weight and the mount looked fine to me....but then again I haven't dropped it in yet. Also, I went to one size up on the tires to 2.5's when I went to the lightweight tires. They're still 1/2 oz lighter than stock.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:45 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Default Kyle300S Yes, I use a YS 63

I use a YS 63 in my Funtana with an APC 13-6 prop running 10,300 on the ground. I wish APC made a 13-5, that would probably be perfect, although I do have a APC 14-4W to try yet.

It will KE loop with standard futaba servo arm and 3004 servo, I am running 3004's all around.

I also experince the right wing dropping doing a wall, mabe I need to add some weight to the left wing.

Tucks to the belly on KE, but can correct for it.

Flats spins ok, but not super flat yet. It hovers pretty good, I am learning on this plane............

I did make the brass tubing mod on the wing dowels and put that problem to bed.I think this is a great airplane, the more I fly it the better I like it and the more fun I am having............

WOOD
Old 08-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are there any vidoes showing it´s full capabilities?

thanks
Old 08-15-2003, 03:56 PM
adrian-RCU

we are using 605's in rudder/elevator and wing and what ever on throttle. we just came back from flying and tested our cg at 6 and 61/4, it was only better in hover but harrier was more rocky and ke was worse so back to 5/7 or 5/9 max. we did not change prop to 14x4. that's for tomorrow.
ps. one of our friends went in bad today lost the clevis on elevator and rolled in solid. only the futana wing survived.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:11 PM
wood

minnesotarc.com has a few movies of it

http://minnesotarc.com
Old 08-15-2003, 04:30 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wood: I am using a 13X4W with a Saito 72 on mine. So far I like its performance. However, I am a newbie to 3D, so I may be liking the performance with nothing to compare it to.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:48 PM
wood

hookedonrc

I think I'm going to try that prop next. I'm only turning about 9K on the 14-4. I hope the 13-4 gives me another 1K RPM wise..............my YS seems to like the heavy apc props. The wood props make the engine sound like it is detonating, but it isn't.

WOOD
Old 08-17-2003, 10:57 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should, at least it does with the Saito. I just finished breaking mine in and am running just about 10,500. The engine is rated from 2,000 to 12,000 RPM. We set it with a tach, so I am still running a little rich. Good luck and I hope you get the RPM's you are looking for.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Kyle300S

Default Re: Kyle300S Yes, I use a YS 63

Originally posted by wood
I use a YS 63 in my Funtana with an APC 13-6 prop running 10,300 on the ground. I wish APC made a 13-5, that would probably be perfect, although I do have a APC 14-4W to try yet.

It will KE loop with standard futaba servo arm and 3004 servo, I am running 3004's all around.

I also experince the right wing dropping doing a wall, mabe I need to add some weight to the left wing.

Tucks to the belly on KE, but can correct for it.

Flats spins ok, but not super flat yet. It hovers pretty good, I am learning on this plane............

I did make the brass tubing mod on the wing dowels and put that problem to bed.I think this is a great airplane, the more I fly it the better I like it and the more fun I am having............

WOOD
Hey. i cant get mine to Ke hardly at all. theres no way mine will KE loop. i'm still messin with the setups tho so maby i will get mine goin good. this plane is real easy to hover for me. we'v ben doin limbo at my feild and i was Torque rolling under then pullin up sliding it over the top then droping back down to hover under again. its great fun. i love the harriers. mine is great for waterfalls to. not shur why some people are haveing problems with water falls. i fly with no mixing at all on this plane. dont think it needs it.

Kyle
Old 09-01-2003, 03:19 PM
-Stevo-

Default CF Gear?

For those of you running the CF landing gear, what kind are you running and where are you getting it? I had a deadstick to hard down wind landing and the gear didn't come out looking too hot.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:52 AM
wood

Default KE loop and YS 63 13-4W APC

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL, the knife edge loop is hard to do. I couldn't get it to do one today, but previous I could do a very large KE loop but too chicken to let it come back around on the bottom, maybe it won't. My Top cap will do a KE loop, and a lot tighter too.

The APC 13-4 on my YS 63/Funtana is running good and rich turning 10,300 on the ground and winds up very quick, unlike the 14-4 on my other 63 (on the top cap) which tachs only 9,200.

The YS 63 with 13-4APC on the Funtana is a good combo for me.

WOOD
Old 09-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Abraxxas

Stevo, I am running Fiberlites gear... they make some 1.5 inches taller than stock and another set 2.5" taller. Nice gear, $25.00 very light and strong... looks nice too. You can have your set from http://www.FIBER-LITE.com/
Old 09-05-2003, 12:39 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

How much weight savings are you getting with the cf gear?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Abraxxas

I dont remember exactly, I just remember that the CF gear with #6 axles, nylon lock nuts and foam tires, ready to mount and fly, weighed 16 grams less than the stock gear with just the axles, no tires yet. My foam tires weigh 10 grams each.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:24 AM
bpryor

Default Savings with CF gear

I think I remember it was 1/2 oz, but remember that's with the gear being 1.5" taller, so that's a pretty significant savings.

Bill