RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

bodywerks 09-10-2006 02:32 PM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Yep. Elevators when the crappy CA hinges started failing/splitting. Clearly audible. Fixed by replacing with DuBro flat pinned hinges installed with Zap "Hinge Glue".
I cut 2"X1" hinges for the outer and inner extremeties of all flying surfaces - this should help. But if it doesn't, I gotta say that I LOVE how simple hinging is with that ZAP hinge glue, and will be doing exactly what you did.

Bob Pastorello 09-10-2006 03:40 PM

IF you have to remove the old CA crap hinges..... I resisted at first, but "Ultimately" gave in ;) ... and bought the Great Planes Hinge SLotting tool with the "Heavy Duty" blades. THAT tool made the job nearly painless....the saw is very fast, cuts very accurately, and doesn't damage adjacent wood (or hands/fingers), and creates a PERFECT slot for the flat DuBro Heavy Duty hinges.

It's one of those tools you won't buy until you need it, probably, but man when I used it I *knew*.... it is worth TWICE the price in PITA-savings :D

I just wish I had my Brillelli 46 mounted up, so I could go enjoy this wonderful pre-fall wx.... but maybe NEXT weekend....

bodywerks 09-10-2006 04:27 PM

A scroll saw, coping saw, or jigsaw blade cut sown and installed in an Xacto knife handle works, too.

dubd 09-10-2006 11:37 PM

anyone here have 2 rudder servos installed? i am debating whether to go with 2x5645s (I have a couple extra) or 1x5955 (I would borrow this from anothe plane I am assembling). I figured the extra weight of the 2nd servo would be good on the tail... :)

Lafus Maximus 09-11-2006 08:10 AM

I just have one 5945 on the rudder, and it is plenty of power for knife edge loops. This plane has lots of rudder authority.

BoneDoc 09-11-2006 08:28 AM

So for those who has mixed the coupling out, what is the roll and pitch coupling mixes that you use?

dubd 09-11-2006 12:27 PM

do you think having another 5645 on the rudder would help in any way?

ncrego 09-11-2006 12:37 PM

To me, simpler is better. I have a 5955TG on the rudder, and that's about as simple and as powerful as you can get, plus it doesn't have any extra linkages to hookup, wires to run, or components to fail. This isn't a bird that seems to need you to add any weight to it. That's a big fuse, and if you are nose heavy, then move your batteries back. I mounted my 2 2400 Fromeco packs for the RX just behind the cockpit on a tray I made tying it to a existing former, and the CG is pretty much dead center. I'm still trying to find the exact spot I should put it in, so I'm using stick ons until I find the best location flying wise, then I'll move the packs farther back to match the CG without any additional weights.

dubd 09-11-2006 12:50 PM

ncrego, can you post a pic of your battery setup? i am trying to get ideas on how to best mount my fromecos... i lost the last plane because the battery tray broke during a snap.

thanks!

Maudib 09-11-2006 01:59 PM

A 5645 might not be enough alone... and twin ruddder servos have been done... but direct push-pull with two servos need to have special attention to matching performed or they may fight throughout the travel.

The cost of two 5645's i about the same as a 5955... and the latter will weigh less, provide less lash in the gear, one less failure point, easier setup and perform excellent.

If I had two 5645's I'd sell them to buy a 5955... just for these reasons...

BoneDoc 09-11-2006 03:09 PM

I think 1 x 5645 is probably enough for a 15 lb plane. However, having said that, 5955 is just so much better.

Slyder 09-11-2006 03:23 PM

I have 5955 on rudder and 5645 on elevators.
Elevators are sloppy already.
Rudder is still tight as day one.
Wish they would make Titanium the standard for all metal gears.:D Wishfull thinking huh? Then sales would drop.

ncrego 09-11-2006 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: riotgear

ncrego, can you post a pic of your battery setup? i am trying to get ideas on how to best mount my fromecos... i lost the last plane because the battery tray broke during a snap.

thanks!
Wish I could, but it's all covered , so all I could show you is a blue belly of an airplane, or where the leads come up into the middle of the fuse and attach to the regulator. If you cut the covering on the bottom of the plane under the cockpit area, there is the underside of the cockpit, a ply support that goes aroudn the whole fuse and the stringers going back lengthwise. What I did was make a ply tray that fits between those stringers, and attaches to the ply former that goes around the fuse. It is attached with 30 minute epoxy and screws. Then the fromecos sit on foam and are velcroed a few times aroudn the plate and through the fuse former. They aren't going anywhere. I'm planning on moving them back when I finally get it to a CG I'm happy with, and I'll make a similar tray farther back, probably right behind the same fuse former.

ice2 09-11-2006 05:56 PM

very nice

Slyder 09-14-2006 06:23 PM

I guess my Ulty does not want me to fly it.
Put new 645's on the ail. Sitting there working them and they sometimes over rotate, lock, then release. With only 3 pluged in it is fine. Thought maybe it was a y so I started switching them around. No matter where they are plugged 3 is fine and 4 is too much.
Any ideas?

Then I thought while it was all together I would run it since it has not run for over a month. Fired her up and let it warm at a high idle. When I tried to advance the throttle it sounded like a v8 running on 2 cylinders. Started playing with the needles but no change. Screwed them in and back out to last known good setting. fired up and sounded good. Went to full thr. and it ran great long enough for me to grab the tach next to me and see it run at 7000- then it just quit. Pulled the plug and grounded it against the engine. Turn the switch on and it sparks. Went through CH's guide and it says the pulse switch. Tried 2 others that were good (unless they went bad sitting in the box) but still no spark.
Guess I will send the ign and pulse switch to CH and see what they say.

bodywerks 09-15-2006 02:51 AM

Are you trying to run all 4 servos into one receiver port via 3 y-harnesses? If so, that's your problem. You need a minimum of 2 ports or a signal amplifier most likely.

LuvBipes 09-15-2006 11:12 AM

Guys, I just got one of these beauties for my birthday from my better half :D It replaces my world Models 27% Ultimate that met an untimely demise when the receiver or switch quit working (damage from crash was so extensive I can't tell exactly what quit working).

Anyways, not wanting read thru 111 pages on this thread can anyone summarize the consensus for mods/improvements on the plane. I've already noted substituting CA hinges for flat pinned hinges and after looking at the fuse, I'll move the tank to behind the firewall since I'll be using a Moki.

ncrego 09-15-2006 11:48 AM

I built mine stock except for pinned hinges in the elevators after reading the whole thread. Now that it has some flights on it, I've observed that while the tailwheel arrangement is awesome, the wheel/tire itself is a joke. Replace it from day 1, it won't even last through the first day if it's like mine. Other than that, I'm planning on putting plugs for the upper ailerons in the top of the fuse with the ernst connectors like they show in the manual, and that's about it. I'm contemplating another gear arrangement, as with a 23 inch prop like I'm swinging, the ground clearance is minimal (less than an inch with it at a level takeoff attitude, but a Moki won't swing that big of a prop, so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

What are the rest of you guys running DA50s thinking about the gear? I don't mind the flexing, but if I ever have a less than soft touchdown, I'm betting it'll prop strike.

Slyder 09-15-2006 01:20 PM

Nope. Ch. 1&6 on a 138DP

BoneDoc 09-15-2006 02:05 PM

go with either 22x8 or 3 bladed 21x8.

LuvBipes 09-15-2006 02:43 PM

Thanks ncrego - have noted tail wheel. Prefer metal hubbed units anyway (so I can solder the washer on).

fishdeth 09-15-2006 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: LuvBipes

I've already noted substituting CA hinges for flat pinned hinges and after looking at the fuse.
At least replace the stock hinge material with some GOOD stuff.
I purchased some 1/4 scale "Pro Hinges" from [link=http://www.radiosouthrc.com/pro-hinge.htm]Radio South[/link]
I also doubled up at crucial points for added strength and security.

Jim

fishdeth 09-15-2006 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: ncrego

What are the rest of you guys running DA50s thinking about the gear? I don't mind the flexing, but if I ever have a less than soft touchdown, I'm betting it'll prop strike.
I have the BME-50 in mine and had a "plop" landing that was the first and last flight for a brand new NX 22x8....:(

Jim

mrbigg 09-15-2006 08:56 PM

I got dropped off this thread a while back and I was wondering what was the heaviest weight that this plane came out at and how did it fly?

BoneDoc 09-16-2006 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: fishdeth

ORIGINAL: LuvBipes

I've already noted substituting CA hinges for flat pinned hinges and after looking at the fuse.
At least replace the stock hinge material with some GOOD stuff.
I purchased some 1/4 scale "Pro Hinges" from [link=http://www.radiosouthrc.com/pro-hinge.htm]Radio South[/link]
I also doubled up at crucial points for added strength and security.

Jim

I feel your pain Jim. When you go bigger, everything is just more expensive. That's one flight that caused you at least 25 dollars.