RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

MormonMike 05-11-2006 01:11 PM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Uh, Bill, I did kinda add bracing to my TNT gear.......:eek:.... uh, you know, just to add a little beefing-up for rough fields, sorta... mm

bubbagates 05-11-2006 01:15 PM

MM,

What did ya add. I just beefed up the engine box with tri-stock on the insides at the gear plate

mwhar760 05-11-2006 06:35 PM

chuck it weighs 17.5 pounds i know it's on the heavy side go ahead and put your 62 in it you won't regret it

mwhar760 05-11-2006 06:48 PM

my appoligy for the miss quote i came in this forum around page 66 and i probably overlooked it? it's a good idea i used doorman springs from a bolt and nut dealer i will save them and put them on something else later.probably on my ahs 27% christian eagle.or if needed after i mount the new tnt gear i will put it back on till i get used to landing this thing!!!

MormonMike 05-12-2006 07:57 AM

Bill, Hold on, let me go "Clock In" then I'll be right back.... ok, No matter how thick or type of metal LG you use, one good "smack'' hitting the ground on landing--- it will bend. 1/16 thick cable with crimp type ferruls to hold the gear in shape obviously will do the job, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Just my prefference for a heavy plane. Yes, I too thought it would be a good idea to add "tri-stock" half inch width to the areas around the firewall. Fox 3.2 does vibrate a little. The bottom of the gear mount area looked pretty solid already, so I left it alone for now. The wife concurred too. One thing here that might amuse you, The velocity stack on the carb wont work. It's right up against the cowl and for some reason will not provide smooth airflow into the carb. It simply would not adjust for high-end run, always sputtered like it was too rich. We took it off and problem with high end adjust smoothed out. This has turned out to be a great plane to fly. It's rather amusing to watch the "Kids" slam their Yaks into the field on landing and then see the look on their faces when an "old" guy lands an "ancient style" bipe just as smooth as a baby's bottom ! :D [ even funnier when the walk up and say "Howd ya do that" ] Gotta go to work [ or at least look like I'm doing something here ] MM :D

bubbagates 05-12-2006 09:12 AM

MM,

I kinda thought that is what you did to the gear. I left it completely alone and have had no problems, including harrier landings. I used tri-stock because of the harrier work just be be safe. I also tried to V-stack earlier on. If you remember I had posted way back when about my Brison changing in the air. That's when I tried the stack and finally went to soldering a tube over the pressure hole on the carb and running a line into the fuselage. I found the same thing with the stack. It was way too close to the cowl and really hurt the engine.

We have a person where I fly now that is very good at 3D and getting better all the time. I once told him he could fly anything I have short of the Ultimate. He's been dropping little hints every time I have it there and he's there. He has no bipe experience and I know that to get it you have to fly it, but I'm not ready to hand over the sticks just yet.

The other thing I get is similiar to what happens to you. The younger crowd loves the look of the plane but I used to get picked on because and I quote "there is no way that plane can do what my Funtana/Yak/Extra/Edge/etc can do". I jjust sat and smiled. I watched them as they did what they do, broke out my showtime and did what they do, landed, launched the Ultimate and did what they do. It's kinda funny when they start asking "how'd you get that plane to do that, no bipe can do stuff like that" to which I answr you necver saw Chip Hyde fly his Double Vision like that, you never saw Bill Hempel do that with his Pitts Challenger, you never saw Joe Hunt abuse his WH Ultimate like that and on and on.

I'm a fan of Edges/Yaks/Extra and monowing planes. It's just funny when you have a bipe that can do everything those can do, just as well and look just as good doing it.

I'm flying this weekend in Sportsman with the Ultimate. I flew last weekend with it in Sportsman and placed fourth :eek: and I have a Yak, Cap232 and an Extra

As far as work goes, I'm here pretending to do stuff. I do have a meeting in about 1/2 hour and then I feel a bad headache coming on especially since the miniture monsoon we had yesterday is gone and there is just a few big puffy clouds, no humidity and 73 degrees out and my Bipe and Showtime are out in the truck. Yep, I definitely feel a headache coming on :D;)

MormonMike 05-12-2006 10:53 AM

:D:D:D, Yes indeed, I have 700 hours of annual leave saved up..... It is beautiful outside..... Maybe I dont feel so good either [:o] [:D] One little item before I come down with "Flying Fever'', yes, I understand about the breather tube/pressure hole remedy. That would have been my next step for corrective action. Since it's working fine, I wont screw around with it. Have a nice weekend Bill, Catch ya later, MM[8D]

bubbagates 05-12-2006 11:06 AM

Enjoy MM,

I'm heading out to practice. We're lucky. If we want to leave for the day or not even come in all we have to do is send an email. No calls are needed.

I just sent the email out saying I was leaving. I was actually honest and told them I needed to go practice for the weekend. They support my hobby here at work to a decent degree especially since the CEO and CFO are full scale pilots plus my more immediate supervisor have actually come to watch me compete and just have fun so as long as my work is done, I'm in good shape to say the least.

chuck l 05-12-2006 03:27 PM

You guys are making me real zealous! It's 45 degrees, rain, and heavy winds, and it's been like this for days. I've only been able to fly once in the last week and a half.

Anyway, in the recent issue of MAN (July) Chief has the Ultimate with a BME 50cc for $849 including shipping. Looks like the way to go.

Chuck

mwhar760 05-12-2006 09:34 PM

if you can swing it go for it you won't be dissapointed! not a bad price! i have $900.00 invested motor,plane only!no prop $27.00,radio gear$300.00,tnt gear $80w/shipping and $40.00 worth in dubro tail wire bracing/$18.00 tail wheel assembly! plus all extra misc. hardware all worth it!!!!

bubbagates 05-12-2006 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: chuck l

You guys are making me real zealous! It's 45 degrees, rain, and heavy winds, and it's been like this for days. I've only been able to fly once in the last week and a half.

Anyway, in the recent issue of MAN (July) Chief has the Ultimate with a BME 50cc for $849 including shipping. Looks like the way to go.

Chuck

Yep, we also made MM really jealous for a while, he had an extra long winter.

If I remember correctly, Chief had the same combo last year but for a day or to in was priced wrong, something like $100 or $200 cheaper. I think someone got one early on until it was caught. I also think it was Aerobob who used that combo and loved it. I know on his second one he has gone to a Brison 3.2.

Slyder 05-13-2006 05:24 AM

Wandering what you did not like about the tail wires? I have no issues with them thus far. The old guys at the feild are looking to buy them for their war birds.
I built mine stock with no mods except the tailwheel (graphtech), Klett hinges, Dont like CA for 3d throws, 4-40 rod with carbon tube, ball link at servo and dubro kwik safety clips at surface.

Only issue I have had so far is when one of my ele servo's stripped a gear. Now that made for an interesting landing with one ele jumping all around.:D

We need everyone to go here
http://www.greatplanes.com/suggest-a-plane.html
and suggest they start producing 28% aircraft like the Ulty.
I dont know about the rest but I really have a hard time justifying $600 or more plus almost $100 shipping for the other 28% planes out there. Maybe I just squeak when I walk:D

Bob Pastorello 05-13-2006 06:00 AM

Yep... I have had BOTH the BME 50 and the Brison 3.2 in Ults. AND the FUJI 54 AND a Brison 2.4. A good friend who gives reports is flying his with a GOOD OS 1.60 Setup on a Pump/Bisson Pitts muffler.

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT... as has been stated MANY times in this thread ----- this is a PERFECT 50cc ANIMAL. It is positively a SLUG with the 2.4, and the OS is just not very 'sparkling', to say the least.

MAXUN - regards the hinges -- about 4 pages back (maybe less), ** I ** joined the ranks of those that had the stock elevator hinges fail, too. Replaced BOTH sides with the Heavy Duty DUBRO with the brass cotter pin. Installed with gorrilla glue, they ain't coming out anytime soon.

Tail wire setup is the bomb. Probably the most elegant and cleverly-engineered solution to a real gnarly problem that has plagued us for decades. The GP system is light, permits precise tension adjustment, holds it's setting, and is VERY solid. On the Ultimate, my only concern is the single-screw retaining in the fuse bottom, and that tensioning the lower wires really loads a very tiny ply plate with a very small screw. But - it also HOLDS.
There are a LOT WORSE "systems" of tail-braces out there that weigh easily 4 or 5 times as much and don't do half the job of holding.

And the stock gear are just dandy, unless you got bad ones (reportedly pretty low percentage out there, to be honest)... and if you have a bouncy field, the spring/cable crossbracing takes care of the issues.

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: chuck l

Chuck

Yep, we also made MM really jealous for a while, he had an extra long winter.

If I remember correctly, Chief had the same combo last year but for a day or to in was priced wrong, something like $100 or $200 cheaper. I think someone got one early on until it was caught. I also think it was Aerobob who used that combo and loved it. I know on his second one he has gone to a Brison 3.2.

Bob Pastorello 05-13-2006 06:03 AM

Bill - I need to know three things;
1. Your profession
2. Your employer

and 3. DO THEY HAVE ANY OPENINGS ?????????? :D:D

YOU are a lucky man, my friend!!!!!!!
ENjoy!

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Enjoy MM,

I'm heading out to practice. We're lucky. If we want to leave for the day or not even come in all we have to do is send an email. No calls are needed.

I just sent the email out saying I was leaving. I was actually honest and told them I needed to go practice for the weekend. They support my hobby here at work to a decent degree especially since the CEO and CFO are full scale pilots plus my more immediate supervisor have actually come to watch me compete and just have fun so as long as my work is done, I'm in good shape to say the least.

bubbagates 05-13-2006 08:32 AM

Bob,

I'm sending the gear out today via USPS.

I work for ICSA Labs in Mechanicburg PA. I do high and low level tests on computer network firewalls using custom designed testing tools and scripts and I'm in the process of designing VoIP security testing which will be ready in a month or two which will be a whole new lab which is where I am moving over to.

Yes we have 3 openings right now. One in the firewall lab, one in the VPN (IPSec) lab and one in the IPS lab. The new VoIP lab is where I will be moving to and looks like I'll be in charge of hence the firewall lab opening

So if you understand computer networks down at the first 3 layers, can look inside a packet and fully understand what you are seeing and are good with Unix/Linux along with writing custom scripts, understand and can work with all 255 IP protocols then you would fit well.

I must be the lucky one right now. Knock on balsa but my elevator hinges have still not cracked but I do have one question. I have never had hinges break until the other day which is on a different plane, what is the best method to replace them. Do you leave the old ones in and go next to them? I've read several places to go next to them as it would tear up al lot of wood trying to remove the old ones.

Yes, I would use the Dubro copper pinned hinges along with Gorilla Glue. I actually have a pack right here since I am about to use them on my showtime which has broken the hinges on one elevator half (too many parachutes and high speed walls)

BTW...We llok to have a monsoon in a few minutes. I just got a call about the comp being cancelled today[:@]

Bob Pastorello 05-13-2006 08:43 AM

Bill.... re the hinges... somewhere else on RCU, when I had MY elevator hinge failures, I asked about that. In some detail... here's what I was told (although I did NOT buy one to try it).... the best method recommended was using the THICK blade on the Great Planes "Hinge Slotter" machine.... and carefully GRIND the OLD hinges to dust... according to the report, you just proceed with caution, actually using the OLD hinge as the guide. The slot you end up with is "just right" for the Dubro hinges you and I are both writing about here.

I did it the "old fashioned" way, and it was a ROYAL Pain in the butt, UGLY, and HARD, and "risky" (carving on an installed slab stab with a sharp Exacto against hardened-by-ca balsa.... scary). BUT - it worked out. Just had to patient.

The lesson is - for me - on ANY large aerobatic GASSER powered airframe in the future.... I *will* use pinned flat hinges or Robarts. Vibration I don't believe was the culprit, although it may have been.....I think the overall stress and limited area for the load distribution creates the problem. But that's theory.

I had a Showtime....relocating to either side of the existing only works if there is wood to accomodate it....
Personally - I will buy a hinge machine, with the thick blade - the next time I have to tackle this.

Sounds like a great career..... but I'm somewhat of a PC Paraplegic...

Slyder 05-13-2006 08:56 AM

When I re-did my yak, on the ail. I cut new slots. On the ele. and rudder I used the GP slot machine with the thin ca blades and cut on each side of the hinge then pulled them out with needle nose pliers. Some of the slots where not as snug as I would like but with the foaming glue they are holding fine to date.

bubbagates 05-13-2006 08:56 AM

Bob,

I do have the hinge machine and since it has now started raining I was going to the LHS anyway so I'll pick up the thicker blades.

I just went through my PM's looking for your address and I know you sent it but I must have deleted it. So I need it again. I'll check back in about an hour from the LHS. Once I have that I'll head to USPS and drop them off

maxun 05-13-2006 09:38 AM

Aerobob, I am a inspector for aircraft maintenance in american eagle airlines and yes we do have opening for maintenance technician all the time, the benefits are great specially if you like to travel.
Coming back to the ultimate, i did stop working in the aircraft for a little while, I am working in my BME YAK54 in this raining days, I order some 310 steel pin robart hinges from tower to repair my ultimate, this airplane is so fun to fly and 3D manuvers looks so good. My stabilizer wire are coming loose and is a matter of concern, I will bond carbon fabric rods top and bottom of the stab, because those spings i do are to violent. Wire look good but strech with a heavy load. I will still fly with the wires, but as a insurange I goint to install carbon rod, like in my funtana .90..

Bob Pastorello 05-13-2006 10:19 AM

I emailed you, Bill.

bubbagates 05-13-2006 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: aerobob

I emailed you, Bill.
Got it. Then I looked in the folder where I store emails from you and guess what I found, yep the address DOH!!! <shrug>

I actually never flew anything today as far as planes are concerned. I've been slowly getting the Heli bug and when I stopped at the LHS I ended up in tons of discussions and even giving a EVO50 a shot and found out I can hover pretty well.

I can see this getting really expensive quickly, Big plane and big Heli's aren't cheap [&:]

tzin 05-15-2006 01:35 PM

DID YOU FLY THIS PLANE YET?

DO YOU THINK IT WILL DO 3D WITH THE OS 1.60, I THINK IT WILL BE TO SMALL...

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

bubbagates 05-15-2006 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: tzin

DID YOU FLY THIS PLANE YET?

DO YOU THINK IT WILL DO 3D WITH THE OS 1.60, I THINK IT WILL BE TO SMALL...

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
A lot of us have

It will not do any serious 3D with the OS160 and you will need a good 50cc for anything serious. When the manual says that a 50cc is overpowered, that's a good indication that it's just about perfect

Those of us that have it love it. The few of us that have had it and wrecked it love it so much we went out and bought another one. A lot of us get yelled at if we do not show up at the field with it.

tzin 05-15-2006 01:59 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLAY,
IM NEW WITH THE GAS ENGINES AND THE 3D AREA.
UNTIL TODAY I FLY ONLY WITH GLOW ENGINES LIKE THE MOKI 2.10 AND THE MOKI 1.80.

MY PROBLEM IS THAT MY PLANES IS INSIDE THE HOUSE AND IM A LITTLE
AFRAID FROM THE GAS SMELL.

HOW CAN I AVOID THE GAS SMELL INSIDE THE HOUSE ?

bubbagates 05-15-2006 02:36 PM

Actually those 2 moki's would be good with the 2.10 being the best. Someone way early on was going to try the Moki 2.10 but we never heard back that I remember

To avoid the gas smell is not hard. You have a vent line that is open to the air, on glow this line would be connected to the muffler and then the fill line.

Just use a fuel dot in each to plug them both and wipe off any spilled gas. You can also use aviation fuel which does not have a strong smell to it but that can get expensive.

The OS160 would fly it well if you can keep the weight in the 12lb range. I have that engine in a Gene Soucy 1/4 scale Extra and it does nicely in the plane. No serious 3D but precission aerobatics are no problem at all

iflywhenican 05-15-2006 05:19 PM

The Moki 210 should be a good choice for this plane...would love to hear from somebody that has tried this combo.
A friend of mine has this engine on a Ohio Ultimate and it does a good job. It just gets a little finicky sometimes, but don't we all? :D

Slyder 05-15-2006 05:24 PM

I have my planes in the house all the time. If there was a gas smell the other half would be sure to let me know about it:D
Just be sure to drain the tank.

mwhar760 05-15-2006 06:33 PM

i keep my plane and weedeater in my shop/garage along with my fuel can! open a window for a little while make sure you unfuel it and whipe it down smell should subside shortly. (note) do not store gasoline in you house not a smart idea!

mwhar760 05-15-2006 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FOR SALE!!!! Modified oem landing gear for greatplanes ultimate 160! gear with spring modification included no axles or wheel pants! make offer!!! LOL

iflywhenican 05-15-2006 07:59 PM

My wife lets me know when there is a "gas" smell in our house!!! [sm=lol.gif]

I love this thread....heh, heh

Anybody going to be at Joe Nall?...I hear there are "plane's-A-flyin" already...I will be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

mwhar760 05-15-2006 08:31 PM

GEEZZZZ!!! how come nothing big happens down here?????

mdyust 05-17-2006 08:40 AM

I would really like to get the Great planes Ultimate 160 but am a little concerned about transporting it in my VW Passat. It would be difficult to justify buying a bigger car, just to carry my new airplane to the wife. :DI can currently fit a CMP Giles 140 in the car, but I would expect the ultimates vertical tail and possibly cabane height may be an issue.

So if some one has the time - would appreciate the height measurement of the vertical tail and cabane while the aircraft is on all three gear?

bubbagates 05-17-2006 09:13 AM

mdyust,

If I remember correctly, the rudder was 19 or 20 inches and it taller than the cabanes. I did post it WAY back in this thread. I'll see if I can dig it up

EDIT: Found it
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4029387

MormonMike 05-18-2006 10:45 AM

Yo Bill !, Listen to this !, This Ulti is such a stable plane , I found it to be the best video cam platform. I machined a cam mount from aluminum angle stock here at the hospital. It pivots left to right and up and down. It secures to the top wing. No transmission range problems to contend with, no RX station on the ground to be bothered with either. Yes, the wife frowned when she saw a $600 vid cam on top of a $2,000 plane [:o] But.... what the heck, it's only money.... right ? And here again, I can figure this kinda stuff out yet I don't have the half-brain needed to post a video or photo :eek:. Not to worry, I'll get it done somehow. We'll see how it works Saturday, Seeya, MM

iflywhenican 05-19-2006 05:50 AM

Joe Nall update. Tons of planes...tons of people. Planes that caught my eye were the new composite offerings from BVM. Very nice, but with a BIG hint of Composite Arf maybe?? Another that got my attention was the Krill planes. Very good looking also and a flying friend of mine bought one. Will post some aspects of it as I find out more.
What REALLY got my attention was there was NOT one single GP Ultimate there!!!!!! (that I saw) I didn't take mine because the winds were blowing 25-35 mph with gusts up to 45. Canopies and tents were blowing over. Pat took the big american flag down because it was about to pull the flagpole down. Planes were still in the air though and some were being retrieved from the trees. I will be going back today and I will keep a lookout for a Ulti.

Bill, since you are playing with the "heli's" now, wish you could have seen Curtis youngblood "WOW" the crowd yesterday...AWESOME...what he did is what I do by mistake with one...:D

bubbagates 05-19-2006 06:58 AM

MM,

that's cool to hear and would love to see the video. What camera setup did you use?

Unfortunately I have not had much chance to fly lately, wind and rain and family things. I'm still trying to get the time to get my GP Cap in the air again. It's been done and flown once and flew very well but time has been against me these last few weeks....

iflywhenican,

Now I wish I would have come down:eek: I've seen Curtis in person and OMG. I agree he does things that I also do by accident, the thing is he can get it out of the situation and I can't;). Guess we did not have the turnout that we thought we would with the Ultimate but with those winds an Ultimate would be kinda hard to fly.

I really have not had much time to dig into heli's and planes will always be where my interests really lie. I just wanted to learn to fly them to improve my left hand coordination even more. Having so many where I fly now does not help either, especially when they are will to let me give it a shot. I did find out that a Blade CP does not like a lot of wind [X(]. I took off in calm, was sitting there hovering for a few minutes and here comes this huge gust, as they say the rest is history.

Once time allows, I'll buy a heli but right now there is just way too much else I need to get finished

maxun 05-19-2006 07:35 AM

I got hs5645 digital and they do not return to center, do I really had to buy a programer for this?

bubbagates 05-19-2006 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: maxun

I got hs5645 digital and they do not return to center, do I really had to buy a programer for this?
First I would verify there is no binding in the linkages, then see if there is any slop in the gear train of the servo. If either of these exist then the programmer will not help correct this.

If you do buy the programmer (it is really nice to have for digital Hitec's) make sure it has the 1.04 version of the software installed. Late last year all the new servos were upgraded with the 1.04 software and if you use the 1.04 programmer with a servo with the 1.03 software on it and do a reset of the servo, the programmer will update the servo.

maxun 05-19-2006 10:19 AM

Seem to me I have to buy a programer[:'(]
This is crazy, the water was more expencive that the boiling egg.[sm=drowning.gif]
No choise.

Slyder 05-19-2006 12:07 PM

I have 5645's in both my birds. They do not center very well. When 3din you dont notice it but when you try to fly straight lines they suck:D
Never used the programer.