RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Showtime 50 anyone? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/5131054-showtime-50-anyone.html)

Stick Bender 03-30-2007 08:53 PM

RE: Showtime 50 anyone?

1 Attachment(s)
I love my Showtime 50 with a Saito 82a on 30%, I use a 15x5 zinger pro or 14x6 K Series or 15x4w apc. I'm not doing much 3D yet but it will pull out of a hover (I wouldn't say punch out) and I keep seeing how heavy they are???? Mine weighed 6.35lbs dry. HS-322 throttle, HS-425BB each surface,HS-635HB on rudder,heavy prop,unlightened tru turn,1000 mah NiCd only lightening is no wheel pants (grass field) and 2 1/2 foam tires (again for grass). I could easily get it under 6 with some light servos, lighter battery, no spinner, etc... But I think it flies as good as my 27% Extra 260. And the side force generators are a hoot :)

The name Showtime, it never occured to me until I flew the plane. This is Mike M.'s namesake, after flying the plane I assume he felt they were good enough to deserve the same "nickname"

Two Wrights 03-31-2007 07:41 AM

I took my Showtime on its maiden flight last night with the OS .46 FX and 25% nitro. All I a
can say is wow, I have never flown any thing like this before, the engine seemed to be enought for me for now.

I am going to cut the rates down a bit until I get better with it, I have never seen anything preform like this has, I can from flying P-51's and just thought they were wild, this brought me down a notch, gonna slow down and learn 3D one step at a time.

Cool plane, and I love saying ITS SHOWTIME, to my buddys before the flight.

I guess I will sell some stuff and buy an 82 later if it lives thru my learning curve.

Matt Merciez 03-31-2007 09:20 PM

For those that have the Saito 82 in this plane, which prop/size are you using?

bandit002 04-01-2007 10:18 AM

Have the showtime 50 with the saito 91 up front. Only a couple days of flying it but seems to be one of the best I have had. Plenty of power to pull from hovers (with plenty to spare), using 16 x 4 apc and running approx. 9050 rpm, 20% cool power. Have had to add weight to tail to balance as recommended, 5 5/8 from leading edge, but am going to move it back a bit today and see if the high alpha stuff gets better. Have some wing rock now trying to keep the nose high. Havent seen anyone else having to add weight to tail of theirs with the 91????

David

JR 1984 04-08-2007 09:00 PM

Two Wrights
I had the Showtime 50 with the Saito 91s . I think it is a better combo than the 82. It's only about ten more bucks, and if you do get it try a 15X4W from APC , just a regular 15X4 will hold it in a hover but not a lot of pull out. The W gives it a lot more thrust for vertical performance.

JR 1984 04-08-2007 09:04 PM

Matt
I ran a 91s W/ 14x6-14x5-15x4 APC, i liked 15X4 the best, more stable in a hover.

EEZY 04-09-2007 09:43 AM

I flew my maiden flight yesterday with my ST50 powered with a Super Tigre 51 and a master airscrew
11x5. My plane was very tail heavy when setting CG. Has anyone else had this issue? To get my CG
where the manual says (5 5/8" behind the leading edge of the wing) I had to add almost 4 ounces!
The motor weighs 12.53 oz. and I was curioud what the satio 82 that you guys are using?
Oh yah, this thing flies like a dream! I am not sure if it will hover because my maiden flight was
in a 15mph crosswind

EEZY 04-09-2007 09:49 AM

I also wanted to ask if anyone has had peoblems with the tires with no wheel pants in grass?
The roll out on my plane was horrible. It took me three tries to get in the air in 2 1/2" grass!
Any response would be great!!!

EEZY 04-09-2007 09:57 AM

I wanted to ask if anyone has had problem with the rollout on stock tires in grass?

BigDuke1 04-10-2007 07:31 PM

I installed a OS91 4 stroke added about 1/2oz of weight under the engineer mount . I guess the larger engine made up the weight differance...

Mr Lee 04-11-2007 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: BigDuke1

I installed a OS91 4 stroke added about 1/2oz of weight under the engineer mount . I guess the larger engine made up the weight differance...
Did you use the original mount or another type?
Did you have to grind much off?
Is the mount holding up well or showing signs of cracks/breaks due to grinding away to fit?

BigDuke1 04-11-2007 08:30 PM

I used the original mount but needed to use a Dremel tool and take a little material off the inside of the engine mount rail. Just start grinding the top inside edge and keep test fitting it til you have removed enough material. I have about 16 flights and it seems to be holding up well. I did think about a heaver mount, however due to the pre-drilled holes in the firewall it look like it would be a hasel....

JR 1984 04-11-2007 10:56 PM

when i mounted the engine i used a dremel and sanded the inside edges of the mounts and test fitted the engine till it fit, had about 65 flights on it and it held up good. the onlt thing u need to worry about is the bolts to the firewall , they will vibrate loose, use loc-tight on them and check after five flights or so , they may loosen
Hope this helps

Mr Lee 04-12-2007 03:15 AM

Thanks Guys!

Was thinking of using longer allen caps and putting lock nuts on the inside of the firewall just to be on the safe side

sergio turbo 04-17-2007 01:20 AM

Hello guys, I'm a little disappointed with the performance of my ST with the used OS 70 surpass on a 14x4w prop, no unlimited vertical, idle problems, etc., The ST flies great but it is very limited. So I want to change the engine, I was thinking on a 2 stroke; what 2 stroke do you recommend me? I was thinking on a OS 61FX, is that engine ok or should I go bigger.

Thanks
Sergio

BigDuke1 04-17-2007 08:46 PM

Sergio,

As they say "Go Big or Go Home". I put a OS FS-91 in mine, this babe has unlimited vertical. I have about 18 flights and really enjoy flying this plane. I build a Skybolt as well but I think this is going to the field with me every weekend.

Remember; If a little is good, more is better and to much is just right.............

sergio turbo 04-18-2007 01:08 AM

Thanks BigDuke

I just place an order for a Saito 100 seems that this engine is a great combo in the ST.

LuisCastillo 04-19-2007 01:30 PM

Hi Sergio, I have mine with a saito 100, and it flies great, i reccomend a lot.

Regards

ORIGINAL: sergio turbo

Thanks BigDuke

I just place an order for a Saito 100 seems that this engine is a great combo in the ST.

jklatt16 04-24-2007 05:20 PM

If you are wanting to use a 2 stroke i would use the os 55 ax. but still i think the Saito 91 is king for this plane.

Rebsix 04-25-2007 04:55 PM

I have around 15 flights on mine so far. I have to agree with some posting here that the .91 Saito is a great match. I have an .82 on my Funtana but came across a .91 and decided it needed a home.

As far as the stock mount, I ended up taking about 3 mm off (both sides combined) and the .91 slid right in. I used bolts and lock nuts instead of screws to hold it in.

With a 16x4W APC it hovers around 1/4 (if what I do is called a hover) and it pulls out climbing straight up as far as you can hold it there and see it. It's not a rocket, but the thrust is more than the weight.

I added zero weight for balance and the plane came out at 6.2 lbs dry. It will stay solid in ground effect for the length of the runway with a click or two above idle, or you can set it down like a feather for a 10 foot roll out.

Airtronics RD8000 radio, 6v 1400mah nicd, and Hitec 475BB all around, it does the prettiest flat spin I've ever done. Knife edge pulls toward the canopy slightly when going from right to left, and pulls toward the gear when going left to right. Full power and full rudder does a huge KE loop (minus SFG's) but I didn't have the jewels to hold it through the entire pullout of the manuver.

I'll post more as I get more flights and learn but if your thinking of getting one I say go for it.

PROS: (what I liked)
Most everything (see CONS). Packaged well, instructions were well done, stock hardware is good, pull pull on the rudder, dual elevator servos, the foam receiver and batt holder built into the fuse with a blind nut and bolt (nice touch)

CONS: (I didn'like)
Covering job left a lot to the imagination. I called it my "4:30 Friday covering job". Took a while with a heat gun to get it decent enough to look at. Even without all the wrinkles, it looks like it was done by a one armed man with a blindfold. It will get rashed like everything else so this isn't a huge problem.
Some hinge slots didn't line up center or with the opposing surface slot, and the ones that did were due to the slot being several inches long. It made it tough to cut a new slot in the center of the TE when the first one is 2 inches long.

All up....8 out of 10

Two Wrights 04-27-2007 06:39 AM

Last night I yanked off the .46FX and placed a new TH .75 with a 13X6 Dynathrust prop. I mounted the .75 sideways and used a Bisson Pitt's muffler, very clean install. Now I can add smoke out the bottom.

I broke in the engine and then did a few taxi test, could not fly because of big storm in the area. The taxi test were awsome, just goose it and she wants to leap off the ground. Holding it vertial in the air it will pull out of my hands so it's preformance should be lots better than the .46 crap.

I would like to have an even bigger engine but, for $89 for a strong TH .75 can't be beat, I have 5 of the TH .46 and love them, this is my first .75. After two tanks of fuel breaking it in a little I can get 12,500 rpm so far with the new engine.

What would be the best next prop to try (of course I haven't even flown it yet!!!!!) ? I have 20 of these 13X6 Dynathrust props so trying them first youknow.

gregziemba 04-27-2007 07:10 AM

could i put a satio 100 in ?

jklatt16 04-27-2007 10:16 AM

You could but it might be a little too long for the cowl to mount on without much gap. Still your going to have to modify the engine mount to make it fit because of the width...like the 91. But it's still has 11mm's longer mounts so it might not fit. And it is really a 110 so that seems to me to be a little overkill. Did you read what RebSix wrote "With a 16x4W APC it hovers around 1/4 (if what I do is called a hover) and it pulls out climbing straight up as far as you can hold it there and see it." and "It will stay solid in ground effect for the length of the runway with a click or two above idle, or you can set it down like a feather for a 10 foot roll out." That is more than enough. Not trying to tell you what to do. If you already have the 100 and you really want to try it, go for it. But if your buying a new engine to go with this plane I would go with the Saito 82 or 91. I went with the 91 and i couldn't like it better.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Two Wrights 05-02-2007 08:56 AM

So far the TH .75 seems to be a great match for the Showtime, CG was perfect, no weights at all, unlimited vertical runing a 13X6, also I tried a 14X4W APC, this also worked great and a plain 12X5 APC had lots of power.

Tonight I'm gonna run a test between the Pitts muffler and the Stock Tuned TH muffler (had to make an extension 1.375), I'm thinking the Pitts has reduced the power of the TH .75. I'll let everyone know. A friend of mine put a tuned $50 muffler on his running .61 TH and killed the power to the point of it can't stay airborne.

Mounting the engine totaly horizonial has worked great also, all the engine and pitts muffler (except the head) fits under the cowling.

ziomarco 05-10-2007 10:35 PM

Just Maidened my ST50, this is my first 3D/pattern type plane. I'm using an OS61 2 stroke. Does anyone have some advice on a prop for this setup ?
I flew with an APC 12x6

Thanks