Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

What do you think of my setup

Old 12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
RoNeRiC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of my setup

I was a glow flyer but switched to Electric mini helis for a year. Too much time spent tweaking and fixing for me. My friend started flying foamies and he got me interested in flying planes again and I decided to go with 3DFoamy. Done alot of research so let me know if you would change anything.

3DFoamy Mini Sukhoi pro
CC 10 ESC
300b Xmotor form 2dogrc.com
Dualsky 620 mah 11.1 lipo from 2dogrc.com
4 HS-55 micro servos
Hitec 555 RX

I have none of this stuff yet. It's all on it's way. I just have a question of which prop to use with this motor and plane? Can't wait until I get everything in the mail so I can get it flying! Been a while and I'm excited to fly again.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:45 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: What do you think of my setup

Hi, Im not familiar with that motor, but if its comparable to an axi 2208/34, or a Hacker A20-34s youll be very happy. a smaller gws RX would be my ideal choice, but your setup otherwise will work just fine.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:03 PM
RoNeRiC

I went with the 300b because of John Wondra's reccomendation. The graph that Dr. Kiwi posted on RC groups shows the top thrust for the hacker a20 34s with a 3 cell lipo is 17 oz. Wouldn't that be short on power for it to pull the plane out of a hover? As far as GWS, I had GWS and I think they are crap. Glitched all the time. I wrecked my heli twice because of glitching. They warned me about GWS and I thought I'd save $20. Never again. A Hitec 555 micro with the case removed is only .25 oz heavier and a better RX.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 PM
JohnVH

Wondra knows his stuff, the 34s is enough power, Levi and Wondra have told me it works awesome.. The GWS rx's are great, I have 5 planes here with them in it, no glitches, no problems, I guess everyone's setup/mileage varies on those.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 PM
RoNeRiC

Then I hope the 300b will be a good motor if Wondra pointed it out. I'll see when it gets here. Come on post man!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
RoNeRiC

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Wondra knows his stuff, the 34s is enough power, Levi and Wondra have told me it works awesome.. The GWS rx's are great, I have 5 planes here with them in it, no glitches, no problems, I guess everyone's setup/mileage varies on those.

Well maybe I got a bad one or from I have been reading it could have been the carbon from the landing skids or my ESC cutting out. I figured it was the RX. Oh well, the 555 should be good from what I have read. The 300b is more powerful but weighs more so maybe there is an offset there. Hopefully the 300b is up to snuff compared to the Hacker. I just hate buying stuff then finding out you should have bought something else, you know?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RoNeRiC, I have the Dualsky 300B motor and use it on this plane with an APC 10x4.7 SF prop. It's a great combo. I also use, on this plane, a Cool Running 12A ESC, TP 900 mah 3s lipo battery, and an FMA M5v2 receiver. The motor pulls 12 amps at full throttle but 95% of my flying is done at half throttle or less.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42807.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	396615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48841.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	396616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87400.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	396617  
Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 PM
rbushman3

No offence ment JohnVH, but I have to agree with RoNeRiC 100%, GWS receivers ARE CRAP!!!!!! I have had one and only one, and the glithcing and interference it picked up caused my foamie to go down twice. Bought a 555, has been a perfect plane ever since. I just take the cover off if your worried about weight. The tiny bit of extra weight and cost far far outweight the cost and time to rebuild your plane IMHO. I personally just could not bring myself to buy another GWS receiver or recommend one to somebody. Hope you see my point where i'm coming from and no offence ment.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
JohnVH

Oh, not a problem, I have 5 of them and they all work great and I will continue to buy them as they work for me. Use what works for ya
Old 01-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Oh, not a problem, I have 5 of them and they all work great and I will continue to buy them as they work for me. Use what works for ya
John, whether or not the GWS receiver or other single conversion receivers will fly without glitches is strictly dependent on the RF environment. I belong to 3 clubs in the DFW area. One of the fields is just a few miles from the large TV and other services complex on Cedar Hill which is on the south side of Dallas. It's well known among the locals that planes with single conversion receivers usually will not fly at this field. I have 2 FMA M5v2 dual conversion receivers with short base loaded Azarr antennas in my 2 foamies that fly just fine at this field. In a gym here in Arlington where I occasionally go, the GWS receivers fly fine.

Dual conversion receivers cost more but they are generally more bullet proof than single conversion receivers.

I'm glad the GWS receivers work for you. Certainly saves money when they do.

Ken