RCU Forums - View Single Post - EDF Airliner build thread
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 01:44 PM
serdark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EDF Airliner build thread

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am NOT changing the main gear locations, and adding all additional hardware within the center line (parallel to the wing). The additional weight associated with the split elevator design will be counter balanced by the additonal servo for the extending flaps. The purpose is to minimize the need for additional dead-weight to balance the model.

I have also designed the stabilizer/elevator to maintain the original stabilizer surface control for the coarse adjustment of the stabilizer plane. In other words, I will be able to change the angle of incidence of the combined stabilizer/elevator all together. So, if the elevator is down (say 10 degrees), then if I adjust the stabilizer up (say 5 degrees), the entire structure will move up by 5 degrees, while maintaining the relative 10 degree position of the elevator with respect to the stabilizer.

So what if I set the stabilizer incorrectly and crash the plane: I hope the following step will help me save my hardwork:

For the initial flight, I will set the flaps at 0 degrees (fully retracted) and will temporarily glue them. I will use the flap servo to control the stabilizer (similar to the original kit), while maintaining the separate elevator control. I will set the (temporary stabilizer) servo for 0 degrees During the first few flights, I will adjust the stabilizer for level flight (if needed) and then measure the angle of incidence upon landing. This will provide the chance to fine tune the plane's attitude and handling. Once set, I will return the flap controls and set the stabilizer permanently.

Cheers
Serdar